+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Single Target Frost Spec Idea

Single Target Frost Spec Idea

So saw a post on a dk having both a single target and a aoe spec depending on the roll of the tank at the time (glad i'm not the only one that thinks like that) but I have tried doing a Blood spec for single target and just can't get into it I guess. I prefer frost through and through, I came up with a Single Target frost spec, and would like some feedback. It has the benefits of health and strength and more expertise from blood, but i loose some damage percentage due to not having Tundra Stalker.

I'm thinking the Rotation to be, IT, PS, BS, BS (to create 2 death runes) DeathChill (when available), OB, OB, OB, OB (frost striking and rune striking where available) and Rune Dump at end.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Thankz for input
    DKT

Four words, No Guile of Gorefiend.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

3 more words: No Tundra Stalker

Tundra Stalker and Guile of Gorefiend are worth much much much more than Spell Deflection, Veteran of the Third War, and a couple of points in Dark Conviction.

To actually be helpful and increase my post counter I have made you a spec.

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I found your spec to be a little.... misguided. While you were picking up talents like Dark Conviction and VotTW, key talents like Guile of Gorefiend, Tundra Stalker and Howling Blast were being sacrificed.

While DC will give you more crit, what's the point of critting without Guile of Gorefiend which not only increases your crit damage by 45%, but also adds 6 additional seconds of Icebound Fortitude.

Tundra Stalker gives you 15% increased damage across the board along with 5 expertise, this talent cannot be skipped in a frost build.

Howling Blast is still very usefull in a single target threat rotation. Also remember that Rime procs free HB's which are very helpful when fitting in Unbreakable Armor into the rotation.

Lastly, 3 wasted points in Spell Deflection takes me from 12 to 6.

Agg's tanking guide

Gonna post this here since it's a Frost Tank spec thread.

Is one I came up with, to simply incorporate Icy Talons into the build. I know I'm giving up some things, but I believe it's more of a compromise. For instance, instead of using Oblit, I would be using Death Strike(I'm debating having the Death Strike glyph over the Frost Strike glyph, just to make it a bit better).

Questions comments or concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadysmic View Post
    Gonna post this here since it's a Frost Tank spec thread.

Is one I came up with, to simply incorporate Icy Talons into the build. I know I'm giving up some things, but I believe it's more of a compromise. For instance, instead of using Oblit, I would be using Death Strike(I'm debating having the Death Strike glyph over the Frost Strike glyph, just to make it a bit better).

Questions comments or concerns?
    The problem with not incorporating Obliterate is three-fold:
    1) Death Strike will not hit nearly as hard as OB without being talented, therefore decreasing your DPS and TPS.
    2) Death Strike does not proc Rime.
    3) Death Strike does not recieve the 45% crit damage increase that OB does from Guile of Gorefiend, once again decreasing your DPS and TPS.

It is possible to throw in Improved Icy Talons without sacrificing much however remember that it does not stack with Windfury Totem. Review the following build as I believe it has what you want.

As for your Glyphs, they can also use some tweaking. First off Obliterate is required since it is Frost's bread and butter. Glyph of Icebound Fortitude was hotfixed so it no longer adds damage reduction making it useless for a tank. You should already be at ~30% damage reduction from defense. Glyph of Unbreakable Armor is... well.... I think it's meh. The damage reduction from UB is so trivial that I don't believe it's worth increasing. I use UB first and foremost for the additional strength to increase DPS and slightly increase parry.

Agg's tanking guide

Besides what Inaara posted, unglyphed FS will eat most of your RP, which kind of nulifies the benefit of the glyph of DS. By skipping Glacier Rot you're losing 20% dmg on your FS and HB.

I know sometimes it seems like people push to hard for "cookie cutter" specs, but the fact is that all strikes rely on talents to become trully effective, and the best talents are very deep in the trees. That means there really isn't much room for chosing your own strikes. I think a lot of us would like it if we had a bit more flexibility regarding specs and rotations, but I just don't think class design allows for that kind of flexibility, in exchange however, we do have the flexibility of being able to tank and dps with any of our talent trees. I think the design logic is "if you can tank or dps with either tree, there's no need for "hybrid tree" specs".

+ Reply to Thread