Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Encounter in Northrend -- New TankSpot Artwork!

Encounter in Northrend -- New TankSpot Artwork!

Two months ago I went on a search for the best Warcraft artists to find someone who could put together a background worthy of our website. Among the artists, Azazel seemed the most natural choice given his collection of stunningly detailed work on DeviantArt. The new background -- force reload your browser if you don't see it -- is the result of this commission. It's special in part because it's the first time we've been able to invest in a huge project like this, and the results speak for themselves.

There may be some controversy regarding the art, both due to the artist's previous work and due to the nature of this particular piece. We were careful in designing this piece to make sure that it was within the boundaries established by Warcraft in-game artwork and by well-known current and past WoW artwork.

If you refresh the page, and your internet is slow enough ( like mine ) you can catch a glimpse of the Tank:P
    Lyco - Guild Master of Prime

I am sooo stealing the background image right now. Me likey!

I'd like to be able to browse this site from uni / work and I'm sure many others will agree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    I'd like to be able to browse this site from uni / work and I'm sure many others will agree with that.
    The only part where the background may make you uncomfortable in a public setting is if you're purposely sizing your browser more than 20% larger than the website itself. Per the content, this is not more objectionable than material you can already find in the game or in related artwork.

Not to dismiss your concern altogether, I do respect the view. However, we invested over a month of time in this and have been careful with the spacing to keep potentially controversial material out of the field of vision of what most users see when they have a browser open.

Looks good and clean... Nice art.

It's worth noting I am still working with character positioning here, too, so you'll see some changes in the overall look and feel. The tank is now prominent again.

That tiny bit of cleavage makes you shy?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyco View Post
    That tiny bit of cleavage makes you shy?
    That's the understatement of the century

All in all very nice art though, suits WoW very neat in the artistic balance.

And gratz Lore!

Regards
    Roarc

I've updated the original post!

You know what I love about the artwork here on tankspot?
    Not that it's great (though I've loved what I've seen.)
    Not that it's original.

But that it doesn't obscure the main purpose of the site.
    It's woven into the site in a manner that it's noticable if you look for it, but if you just want to browse the forums or read some brick text walls, it won't bother you one bit.

You have no clue how many sites screw this up, and how much I love the way you don't.

Good job, keep it up, kudos to you, thanks and all that.

Pretty clever to also have additional races/classes on it. As Tankspot has evolved to a global resource, and not something only ment for Tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    The only part where the background may make you uncomfortable in a public setting is if you're purposely sizing your browser more than 20% larger than the website itself. Per the content, this is not more objectionable than material you can already find in the game or in related artwork.

Not to dismiss your concern altogether, I do respect the view. However, we invested over a month of time in this and have been careful with the spacing to keep potentially controversial material out of the field of vision of what most users see when they have a browser open.
    Not to be rude, but everyone that bought a computer or laptop since WoW's release probably has a decent widescreen, which will show cleavage when browsing fullscreen.

And no, the art doesn't make me shy, but I can see it causing problems or embarrassment at least when viewing in public locations or at work. And in my opinion (not to insult the artist, who is obviously very skilled) these kind of hypersexualized images are pretty embarassing in general and are very unprofessional at best.

Not to be rude, but everyone that bought a computer or laptop since WoW's release probably has a decent widescreen, which will show cleavage when browsing fullscreen.
    I'm not challenging the idea that you can get your browser that large, I'm dismissing the idea that you are incapable of using a browser without being in fullscreen mode.

IMHO, I think Tankspot's background should carry a notion of skills, tanking, responsibility or maybe solemnity. This artwork, while very good, doesn't really go along with any of these notions. Besides the "bold" style, the impression I got when I first saw the picture was "Hero gets the girls."

And no, the art doesn't make me shy, but I can see it causing problems or embarrassment at least when viewing in public locations or at work.
    Honestly, the artwork isn't more explicit then much of what you find in the game. Sure, there's the work issue. But I think that if your boss has issues with this, it's probably more due to you browsing gamer sites then you seeing pictures that are no more revealing then what is thrown at you in the media every damn day.
    And in my opinion (not to insult the artist, who is obviously very skilled) these kind of hypersexualized images are pretty embarassing in general and are very unprofessional at best.
    It's artwork about a game. The game features women in a certain manner that is expressed well in the artwork, in my opinion.
    Sure, you could claim that WoW is hypersexualized, but I don't feel it's worse then the way that women are portrayed in media as a whole, and definatly not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberryu View Post
    IMHO, I think Tankspot's background should carry a notion of skills, tanking, responsibility or maybe solemnity. This artwork, while very good, doesn't really go along with any of these notions. Besides the "bold" style, the impression I got when I first saw the picture was "Hero gets the girls."
    What you mean is that your uptight about some cleverage...

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalize View Post
    What you mean is that your uptight about some cleverage...
    No, I think he's really confused as to what kind of game WoW is.
    WoW is a fantasy game.
    That means all women are pretty (or evil hags, sometimes both), Female armor is revealing, and the hero gets the girls.

Honestly I remember looking at my deviant art this morning and seeing the art.

My reaction to seeing that it was for a website was "Wow... Must be pretty high class if this guy will do it. And that orc only looks that way cause he is with two hotties...."

Then I come here... Glad everything I thought was true.

The artwork is awesome and I'm certainly not shy of Blood Elf chicks. Kudos to the artist. What many people tend to forget though is that wonderful images aren't always the best backgrounds. Although not nearly as beautiful as this image, I think the blurred Dalaran-theme did a better job at providing a subtle forum background.

Closed Thread