+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help/Rate my Blood tank spec.

Help/Rate my Blood tank spec.

Hello! I need help with a blood tank spec (first post, so try to be nice!). I leveled as unholy to 80 all the way, then tried out frost after being frustrated with unholy threat. I have now since tried out blood, and have absolutely fell in love with the style and utility of the tree, but I have no idea which talents are good for tanking.

This is the spec I came up with:

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Questions about my spec:
    Sudden doom, 3/5 Blood Gorged, Subversion, and Might of Morgraine

which of these should i be picking up with my 6 points?

also, currently using glyph of death strike, vamp blood, and dark death - should i be swapping out dark death for rune strike? or something else?

Thanks in advance.

edit: forgot to mention, I'm a 10 man tank, so I need talents like morbidity to deal with things like thorim.

I tank Frost, but Blood is my offspec for dailies, pvp, and farming. I've been curious about Blood tank builds as well, seeing how useful self-healing is (at least while solo'ing about on my pvp realm).

What I like most about Frost is the superb snap AoE plus single target damage. When I need AoE I open with Howling Blast (glyphed), then DnD, then BB, then repeat HB and BB whenever they're up during the fight. If I need more single target, then HB->DnD->BS, then repeat Oblit->BS, using HB or IT when necessary to refresh Frost Fever. This works beautifully.

What I wonder about Blood is, can that AoE be recreated with just DnD and BB? With Death Rune Mastery you get a ton of Death Runes, and since BB only uses one Blood rune (compared to HB's Frost + UH runes), I wonder if you can't get close to Frost's AoE threat using DnD + BB spam.

Any Blood tanks have any experience with this?

PS - regarding your spec, you can probably move 3/3 Spell Deflection to complete Blood Gorged. Blood strike dmg is all physical, so 10% armor pen would probably make a noticeable contribution to threat.

If I were switching to Blood for tanking, I'd probably start with this 56/8/7 build (including glyphs), then modify from there as needed. Need more AoE? Move 3/3 Subversion into 3/3 Morbidity or perhaps 3/5 Black Ice (would need to test that). Need more single target threat? Swap out Glyph of Death Strike for Glyph of Rune Strike. In my blood Offspec I've never had RP starvation issues, quite the opposite in fact, so I doubt Scent of Blood is necessary.

These are your must have talents and glyphs as blood in 3.1.3, the 3 spare talent points are always gonna be subject to debate.

Remember your job is to survive, you won't have threat issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    These are your must have talents and glyphs as blood in 3.1.3, the 3 spare talent points are always gonna be subject to debate.

Remember your job is to survive, you won't have threat issues.
    That spec is even worse than the one in the op. No offense but I actually registered here because I cringed when I saw it, and I had to post about it.

Blood Spec

What I filled in there is everything that can be considered "mandatory." The remaining four points are discretionary. They will not ---> heavily <--- influence your performance on most fights. Death Rune Mastery will not make or break you in almost any scenario, some people really prefer having a more Heart Strike-heavy rotation, some prefer the extra healing that comes from just using Death Strike instead and saving 3 talent points.

Personally, I used the remaining 4 to max out Morbidity for extra Death Coil damage (a skill I use often), and a lower Death and Decay cooldown, which is great for a spec that is easily the weakest in terms of AOE threat. I also dropped a point into Subversion because extra Heart Strike crit can affect multiple targets, and Sudden Doom only affects a single target, even if you get 2 chances to proc it.

Spell Deflection is almost never worth it. I wouldn't take it unless you just HAVE to kill Sarth+3, and even then it's not amazing. I would recommend against taking Blood Worms. They will help parry-gib you and do nothing for your threat.

Thanks a bunch, guys, really helped me out

Quote Originally Posted by GBF View Post
    That spec is even worse than the one in the op. No offense but I actually registered here because I cringed when I saw it, and I had to post about it.

Blood Spec

What I filled in there is everything that can be considered "mandatory." The remaining four points are discretionary. They will not ---> heavily <--- influence your performance on most fights. Death Rune Mastery will not make or break you in almost any scenario, some people really prefer having a more Heart Strike-heavy rotation, some prefer the extra healing that comes from just using Death Strike instead and saving 3 talent points.

Personally, I used the remaining 4 to max out Morbidity for extra Death Coil damage (a skill I use often), and a lower Death and Decay cooldown, which is great for a spec that is easily the weakest in terms of AOE threat. I also dropped a point into Subversion because extra Heart Strike crit can affect multiple targets, and Sudden Doom only affects a single target, even if you get 2 chances to proc it.

Spell Deflection is almost never worth it. I wouldn't take it unless you just HAVE to kill Sarth+3, and even then it's not amazing. I would recommend against taking Blood Worms. They will help parry-gib you and do nothing for your threat.
    Yeah, no subversion is just stupid sorry.. you're a melee based tank and you'll spend more time spamming HS than deathcoiling, go look at your tanking parses. Not to mention the threat from DC is pathetic.
    You also won't need epidemic because with a DRM rotation you'll be re-applying before they come off, 3/3 SoB is a waste too when 1 point is more than enough.
    Only bother putting points into morbidity if you like to spam it, personally I find IT/pest/BB more than suffient to hold aggro on packs.

Quote Originally Posted by fizikz View Post
    Hello! I need help with a blood tank spec (first post, so try to be nice!). I leveled as unholy to 80 all the way, then tried out frost after being frustrated with unholy threat.
    What issues did you have with unholy threat?

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    Yeah, no subversion is just stupid sorry.. you're a melee based tank and you'll spend more time spamming HS than deathcoiling, go look at your tanking parses. Not to mention the threat from DC is pathetic.
    You also won't need epidemic because with a DRM rotation you'll be re-applying before they come off, 3/3 SoB is a waste too when 1 point is more than enough.
    Only bother putting points into morbidity if you like to spam it, personally I find IT/pest/BB more than suffient to hold aggro on packs.
    If you find a single disease pestilenced + blood boil "more than" sufficient to hold aggro on AOE packs, your dps aren't nearly as AOE-heavy as mine are, or yours actually wait a few rotations to begin DPSing. Using a DRM rotation that favors Heart Strike isn't necessarily a great idea when the healing from Death Strike is so powerful. Assuming the healing component causes threat, I wouldn't say Heart Strike has a significantly better threat-per-rune spent, either, and it does cost more global cooldowns.

Death Coil's threat isn't great, but a 15% damage increase on a skill I use sometimes plus a heavy reduction on my only significant source of AOE threat is valuable to me. I also DO drop a point in Subversion in my live spec. Like I said, the spec I posted were what can be considered mandatory, with the remaining four points going to help you in whatever specific area(s) you may want.

You bring up an interesting idea with 1/3 Scent of Blood, but I'd have to test it to be sure. If you had a parse with buff uptime that showed a build with 1/3 SoB having nearly 100% uptime then I would be inclined to change what I thought was "mandatory" in a Blood tank build.

To be fair though, your build didn't have Hysteria (Incredible), Mark of Blood (Very nice, especially for some AOE situations... This talent can be used creatively to great effect), or Rune Tap (Why wouldn't you take this? It's incredible for quickly healing a lot on a spike hit you knew was coming, like Steelbreaker's Fusion Punch, or Mimiron's Plasma Blast). But then you went and picked up Ravenous Dead, which is a very, very minor threat increase. That and Spell Deflection, which is honestly worthless in almost every current fight because of how it works.

Yeah I agree so much of a spec depends on playstyle, I'm so heavy on heartstrike use it's become my number one threat generator.. I'm finding it slightly better than RS (which I do use whenever it's up) because I use it so often.
    I'm definitely going to look at Hysteria because I can spare a point but it wouldn't be for myself since my threat is miles ahead of our dps who to be fair are really strong, but they do wait until my first BB goes off.. I'm guessing their dps is so high the mobs die before they have a chance to overtake me. Plus I tend to use DRM for deathrunes to refresh BB alot.
    As far as rune tap goes I've never been able to justify the 4 points it takes to make it useful, plus our healers are pretty pro and if I really need to I'll VB/sac but usually I don't need to.
    I'm going to try out a spec without SoB all together too, I'm just full on RP so much even when I'm dumping it doesn't seem I need it.. but I am lazy with DC's so that might explain it.
    The only reason I take spell deflection is it's there, I should probably look at removing it because I bubble anyways, it might let me have RT.

+ Reply to Thread