+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Log analysis for Tanks

Log analysis for Tanks

Are there any log analysis tools out there that are useful specifically for tanks to see how they are doing and how they can improve? Beyond evaluating relative DPS and %up of shouts most of the tools don't seem to offer much in the way of evaluation.

Some things I'd love to be able to see easily
    1) Did my mitigation attempts make a difference? (Or did I do them 2 seconds 2 early and miss the burst damage)?
    2) When someone else grabbed agro on a mob was it a) me being stupid on my attack rotation b) s/he taunted (oops sorry!) c) some other thing. Even just seeing threat over time and being able to dive into the log at where my relative threat dipped would be helpful.
    3) Things like did my blood draining enchant actually make a difference or just cause overhealing.
    4) Some other useful information that I probably haven't thought of as important but should have.

Is there such a tool out there? I'd love to have a way to analyze at how I did after a raid beyond "I think I should have done/I think that was good" analysis and did I die with cooldowns available.

Quote Originally Posted by Zurena View Post
    Some things I'd love to be able to see easily
    1) Did my mitigation attempts make a difference? (Or did I do them 2 seconds 2 early and miss the burst damage)? All mitigation and avoidance changes need to be measure over a couple of fights to get a legitimate average of how it change.

2) When someone else grabbed agro on a mob was it a) me being stupid on my attack rotation b) s/he taunted (oops sorry!) c) some other thing. Even just seeing threat over time and being able to dive into the log at where my relative threat dipped would be helpful. I don't know of any current logs that will show tps or threat gained. I would be interested in this as well.

3) Things like did my blood draining enchant actually make a difference or just cause overhealing. Blood Draining itself will never cause overhealing.

4) Some other useful information that I probably haven't thought of as important but should have. I compare myself against the other tanks in my guild when we have a fight where we are taking the same blows. Like Kolo and OT'ing 25 man patch. I compare hits avoided, largest hit took, and dmg mitigated... you can do this from WWS and WoL.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

WoW Meter Online - Combatlog Replay is good and gives TPS stats too.

I generally don't do much log parsing about tanking unless things went horribly wrong.

What I do do, though, is ask feedback.
    I ask if dps has threat issues, if healers find me hard/easy to heal, if anyone spots room for improvement.

While I think logs can be great tools, I also see a lot of people obsessing over them, and I don't like that.

+ Reply to Thread