+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New Lvl 80 Having problems w/ threat in heroics

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    The only spec better for threat period is one including Unstable Affliction, and that's not really raid-viable. In short, yes.
    I think Kerchunk is a warlock in disguise.... But he meant Unrelenting Assault.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    I think Kerchunk is a warlock in disguise.... But he meant Unrelenting Assault.
    el oh el

Thank you very much for all your help, I'm gonna go ahead and work on spec, pulls, glyphs, and stats. I was about ready to give up tanking the heroics and just dps them. I appreciate all the help. Any other advice or tricks would be greatly appeciated and used.
    Last edited by joep180; 06-30-2009 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Misspell

Quote Originally Posted by joep180 View Post
    Thank you very much for all your help, I'm gonna go ahead and work on spec, pulls, glyphs, and stats. I was about ready to give up tanking the heroics and just dps them. I appreciate all the help. Any other advice or tricks would be greatly appeciated and used.
    Stick with it and tank more. With practice you learn more, and will become better. Don't get discouraged with load bursting dps in heroics or early 10 mans. It happens and you can't let it get you off your game.

Once you got the gear and the spec down; just stick to your mental game and you got it.

So to summarise based on your armory.
    Get your defense up to 535.
    Spec into deep wounds to be doing more damage and more TPS.

Your rotation should start: Heroic Throw, Charge, Thunderclap, Shockwave, Cleave, Thunderclap, tab and Sunder hitting cleave and Thunderclap when you can.

Single mob is just 2344 but hitting the procs when you need to ( SS > Revenge > Devestate).

People will tell you your HP is too low for heroics. In some ways it is especially if you are not def capped (535) for heroics.

Grind wyrmrest rep for the chest and cloak, buy the combat shotgun, titansteel treads and the JC ring and gem it and you should have most of the stuff you need. Other tanking drops you will get from heroics but mainly emblems and then you can move on to naxx

Sometimes you may need to switch vigilance mid fight if two of your group are looking to out threat you - not ideal but sometimes necessary.

Hope that helps!

I'll add a little since I also recently hit heroics.

Your #1 goal will be to get Wyrmrest accord reputation. At honored you get their cloak and at revered the chest and boots (all are upgrades to you).

For single targets:
    Charge, while charging throw on shield block, Shield Slam, Revenge (should be up because of shield block).

After this I should have a sizable threat lead and will then tclap and demo shout to reduce the damage. After this I usually operate off of the single target threat priority rotation but sometimes (on higher hp mobs/bosses) I will rush to put up 5 sunders.

For multiple targets:
    I like to charge the furthest monster in a pack because it allows me to thunderclap mid-charge to hit them all, then I simply move past the furthest mob and turn around and shockwave them all. I throw on demo shout to reduce damage and then shield slam the one I marked as the primary dps target. As soon as the stun wears off I throw up shield block and start spreading around shield slams and revenges and cleave if I have the spare rage.

Thanks again for everything! All this stuff will really help.
    Few other questions:
    1.) I know different ideas for glyphs have been thrown up in the air, but what would really be the best? Cleaving, Vigilance, and Lower CD on SW? Or should i keep one of the ones I have- Blocking, Devestate, and Sunder Armor, and just switch out 1 or 2?
    2.)Also, are there any macros that can ease up the rotation process or just help to move things along?
    3.)What are the best gems(Meta and otherwise) and enchants to use on gear(Especially wep. and shield)?
    4.)Is it possible for anyone to link a picture of how they set up their action bars, mine are full up and I can't find any good setup that puts things in their place w/out seperating things I need.
    5.)Are there any good tanking add ons?
    6.)Finally, Daggus, what do you mean by single mob is 2344, is that just order of rotation?

Thanks again, I kinda thought of all these things as I slept =P
    Last edited by joep180; 07-01-2009 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Misspell/Reformat

Quote Originally Posted by joep180 View Post
    Thanks again for everything! All this stuff will really help.
    Few other questions:
    1.) I know different ideas for glyphs have been thrown up in the air, but what would really be the best? Cleaving, Vigilance, and Lower CD on SW? Or should i keep one of the ones I have- Blocking, Devestate, and Sunder Armor, and just switch out 1 or 2?
    2.)Also, are there any macros that can ease up the rotation process or just help to move things along?
    3.)What are the best gems(Meta and otherwise) and enchants to use on gear(Especially wep. and shield)?
    4.)Is it possible for anyone to link a picture of how they set up their action bars, mine are full up and I can't find any good setup that puts things in their place w/out seperating things I need.
    5.)Are there any good tanking add ons?
    6.)Finally, Daggus, what do you mean by single mob is 2344, is that just order of rotation?

Thanks again, I kinda thought of all these things as I slept =P

My own opinion / choices, what I did, and it may differ from others, but at least we get some customization!

1. Glyph of Blocking - Increses SS damage and amount blocked ( dmg through block value)
    Glyph of Vig - More threat from the high dpers
    Glyph of Revenge - I like it, free heroic strikes
    2. Personally I don't use too many macros,
    I do use a /cast shield block, / cast Shield Slam, just for the ease of use, though it depends on situation, and on cool downs yata yata.
    /focus /cast intervene
    other than that I just mash away!
    3. Once you got the defense up there, you can look at the Stam + armor value Meta
    Ciderhelm's guide to 540
    4. Pic I will take one
    5. Bartender for action bars, deadlybossmods or bigwigs, omen threat meter, Grid for raid frames, quartz cast / swing timer, xperl,
    6. if you look at the standard action bars, 1 is your attack command, 2 would be the next 3, and so on... Shield Slam, Revenge, Devastate. The old TBC rotation :P so 2344 repeat

Last edited by Ewanar; 07-03-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Picture addiotion

+ Reply to Thread