+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild Recruitment ideas?

Guild Recruitment ideas?

After many seriously dissapointing experiances with guilds in my server(Undermine) i decided to create my own and was looking for some ideas to recruiting experianced and new lvl 80s for raid teams/ heroics? I want to keep the guild smaller, b/c it encourages people to actually interract w/ each other, and this will allow people that might be less likely to ask for help w/ builds, rotations etc. more confident to ask someone knowing they wont get ridiculed for being a noob and such.
    Its hard to promise a raid spot too when there is no raid team yet so any tips or idea would be great

Form PUGs and be a good raid leader during those PUGs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Do you want me to cast Lifebloom inside you?

My suggestion would be to try harder to find a guild that you can enjoy being on as part of a team, rather than making yet another guild that's endlessly recruiting people with a constant churn of people.

If it's just you and only you, I mean honestly try and find a good guild. I don't think everyone realizes that it's a constant struggle to find 10 reliable people and keep them happy at all times. If you're struggling to even start recruiting right now, are you really going to be into it 3 months from now when you're still trying to find the last 3 reliable people to fill your guild and show up every raid or when your best healer has a baby and can't raid anymore? (or any of the other hundreds of scenarios you'll encounter as thinly veiled excuse to go to some other guild once they've managed to gear up their alt with yours).

Running your own guild won't make it that much easier to get a raid going. It's still painful
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

I had the same prob you did a while back. So a bunch of friend and myself started a guild. 3 years later we're still friends and have grown. We didn't go the route of spamming for recruits. We just recruited Puggers and freinds of friends etc.

We're not a huge raiding guild. We have plenty of folks for 10m content and have an alliance with another guild for the 25m content.

Only thing I can suggest is if your going to start a small casual guild have lots of patience. I mean ALOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Guede View Post
    I had the same prob you did a while back. So a bunch of friend and myself started a guild. 3 years later we're still friends and have grown. We didn't go the route of spamming for recruits. We just recruited Puggers and freinds of friends etc.

We're not a huge raiding guild. We have plenty of folks for 10m content and have an alliance with another guild for the 25m content.

Only thing I can suggest is if your going to start a small casual guild have lots of patience. I mean ALOT.
    yeah thats more what im hoping this will become over time. there are a few of us and ive kind of grabbed the bull by the horns to start this so its not just me looking to raid. problem is every guild ive tried has never worked out. ive been in a few raiding guilds and the consistancy really never was there. they would plan a raid and even the raid leader would reserve a spot and show 2 hours late or not at all, pisses me off! mostly it will be dps i will need to pug so hopefully when we start raiding that will bring people in

My advice with recruiting is to be up front with people. Make people abundently aware of your policies, how the guild is run, what the aims of the guild are and above all look for people who have a personality that matches the guild. One bad seed can ruin the entire crop so make sure you recruit selectively.

Okay onto answering your question rather than giving guild management advice. There are a number of in game mediums available to a guild trying to recruit, being a new guild I would advise first running pugs and recruiting thos good players you run with, provided you lead well and they aren't happy to stay in the guild they are in this can be a good way to pickup new members (heroics are normally better for this as most pug raids of lower end naxx will have a large volume of alts in already established raiding guilds).

Make sure you live up to the expectation you planted in people who are already in the guild, provided you outlined these clearly that is, e.g. if you promised a 10 man run every Wednesday at 7pm make sure you run a 10 man every wednesday at 7pm, even if you have to pug people to fill the gaps to begin with people will stay if you are meeting the requirements.

This may not apply to you so much but if you have a DKP or attendance system make sure that this is always updated or in a position where you can update it quickly. People like to know what their current standings are.

If you have guild officers/class leaders schedule a weekly meeting with them on vent. It doesn't have to be very long, however I find that these short vent meetings help greatly when managing individual concerns and maintaining guild direction and systems.

Gah sorry veered off track again.

As for guild recruitment mediums since you are aiming to be a more casual guild you want to focus more on in instance recruitment (i.e. approaching good/compatible players you come accross in runs) and trade/general spam. Most casual players won't be visiting things like the wow forums as regularly as those raiders looking for high end raiding guilds, however it never hurts to post in them or other wow related sites, like tankspot . Make detailed recruitment posts, don't overdo it though only include the required information that will bring in the kind of person you are looking for. Take a look at some of the recruitment posts here and mirror some of the common themes, most important things with these is to outline your aim early in the post.

Successful guild management is hard work, do not enter into creating a new guild if you are not prepared to put time and effort into it. Most new guilds collapse because their respective GM's where not aware of the amount of work guild management requires and subsequently neglect their duties or have a meltdown. So make sure you are prepared to do the work, and it won't always be pleasant, before you get in too deep. Having said this there is a very real sense of reward in creating a successful, fun, stable guild so provided you can get through the formative stages and lead well you will do well.

Anyway I sort of veered off on a tangent a few times here but guild recruitment very closely ties into guild management, it's one thing to get people into the guild, it's a completely different story when it comes to keeping them in, have strategies to retain players.

Anyway best of luck and I hope this helps you get your recruitment right.

Just want to put in my two cents from my experience... I greatly agree with all the advice that Rhyseh presents.

It is important to outline your guild goals and hopefully find a good core of officers who can help you with those goals. I think running a Casual Raiding guild is one of the most difficult things. You have to be more accommodating than a Hardcore raiding guild. The focus in Casual Raiding guilds is fun and trying to raid as often as you can without it interfering with Real life. Patience, I think another posted mentioned, is gonna to have to be your greatest Strengths.

I am an Officer in a Casual(Casually Hardcore) Raiding guild, but we have an advantage of being a long standing guild. 4+ years I believe. Our goal is to work on serious progression while not requiring attendance. We are flexible and fun, we have a Raid scheduled 6 out of 7 nights. Sometimes 2, its a very aggressive schedule. But thats our appeal, you can log on and their is a raid. Raid spots are first come first serve(website sign up) and our loot system is EPGP.

Our hard Lessons:

ALWAYS BE RECRUITING

GET PEOPLE ON VENT WHENEVER YOU CAN

WORK ON ENGAGING NEW MEMBERS

AND BE CLEAR WITH YOUR POLICIES AND GOALS

You will have to appeal to a niche, know what it is and recruitment is easy.

Pugging and getting people on vent has been our best recruitment methods. Most people like a community they feel comfortable with. Best is plug away at it and dont give up. Know your drawbacks as well. Any successful Casual guild will need to be made up of many players. No two ways around it! If you want to do 10 mans consistently you need 20-30 players. Depending on when you raid and how many can consistently show will give you a better idea of your overall size. Casual guilds will also have players of varying ability. How you deal with that is up to you and will determine your recruitment success or failure. Depending on the server be open to grabing players that are leveling.

Sry for the Rant. But my point is your recruitment will be based on how you operate. People talk

Good luck!

Your best bet is going to be getting a handful of people started - probably via pugging up some smaller content to ensure they're not totally clueless - and then find similar-sized guilds with similar goals. If you can get together a team of ~7 people, and find another guild with about seven, you can start running 10-man content between the two of you. A couple weeks of that would be enough to get some baseline stability for both guilds, and would allow you to start doing 10-man content in-house with joint 25 raids. That should be enough to attract more people (promising you'll be "starting raids soon" is far different from "currently clearing X bosses each week") and get your feet on the ground.

The hardest part of initial establishment is going to be getting enough people to do much of anything. Organization and disciplinary action eventually will become issues, but as long as you're at least running a group consistently to do something, even if you have to pug the last few spots, you'll be in far better shape than recruiting first, then starting up raids.

Personally, I got lucky. I was able to find a group of about 10-15 people who had played a MUD together for years, but lacked a dedicated tank. So I started up co-GM'ing with a foundation of people who were comfortable working together, and just built up from there. The barrier to entry now is much lower (10-man content as opposed to the 40's of old), so you don't need a huge boost just to get over the first wall. But finding at least a couple people on the server who you trust to work together and stick it out for the first couple hard (and pug-filled) weeks is going to be a boon if you can manage it.

-Splug

+ Reply to Thread