+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pros and cons

Pros and cons

alright, currently i have a 28paladin, a 26 Druid, and a 29 warrior. I need the pros and cons of each class when tanking.

Keep in mind that i like Aoe a little better (Main is a mage so it comes naturally)

Which class would allow my RG(Raid group) the most flexibility, Single target, AND a decent bit of mob threat?

And have ya'll noticed the latest patches? Seems like blizz wants all warriors to be tanks.
    (Prot has only been nerfed once in the last 5 patches, compaired to fury(5) and arms(3)). Idk how the hell FURY (Of all specs)got nerfed, as its already underpowered...I think its time to ring the pally card and play with bubble a bit dont you?

TY!!!!!
    I like my allies medium well with a side of potatoes.

Play them all. Level each until you're out of rested and swap to another, or dedicate a specific amount of time to each before moving on.

Knowing the abilities/playstyle of multiple tanks will definitely help you in many respects, not the least of which is your ability to play your mage more effectively knowing tanking mechanics.
    Last edited by Volador; 06-30-2009 at 07:00 AM.

Just because they nerf something, does not mean they don't want anyone to play it. The only way to really know which you'll like more is to play them, nothing we can tell you will honestly have any real wieght.

This thread is what's wrong with WoW today. Just play whichever class you like, you can make due. My guild's uld25's don't have a preferred tank, we have 1 of each (4 tanks total) and usually only 2-3 show up. They talk amongst themselves and whoever feels like tanking tanks, the others either use offspec or just sit out.

Just play them all for a little, decide which you like most, and then level that to 80. Don't worry about which is "best"

Quote Originally Posted by Broxigar View Post
    alright, currently i have a 28paladin, a 26 Druid, and a 29 warrior. I need the pros and cons of each class when tanking.
    You won't get the feel of each tank until you try it at upper levels. Some say 40, I say 60 is when you get it, you will have access to 51 point talents at that point.

Keep in mind that i like Aoe a little better (Main is a mage so it comes naturally)
    Yeah, yeah, you wanna faceroll tanking. Admit it. I have a mage too, and my DK is an unholy tank for AoeEing trash. Paladins and Bears are the way to go for that. Realize however that the most valuable tanks are boss tanks, those that do the best at single targets, and that's usually Warriors and Blood/Frost DKs. Step up the challenge of tanking and level your warrior (or roll a Blood/Frost DK), or you will be benched for the core tanking fights. Tanking turn people into better players by necessity, or else they sink and are excluded from raids.

Which class would allow my RG(Raid group) the most flexibility, Single target, AND a decent bit of mob threat?
    Every tank is has the necessary tools to do both. Your skills as a tank, and spec to a lesser degree, determines if you suceed.

And have ya'll noticed the latest patches? Seems like blizz wants all warriors to be tanks.
    No. Just no. That's vanilla wow thinking, very very old.

(Prot has only been nerfed once in the last 5 patches, compaired to fury(5) and arms(3)). Idk how the hell FURY (Of all specs)got nerfed, as its already underpowered...I think its time to ring the pally card and play with bubble a bit dont you?
    The game is in constant flux. Bear tanks were non-existant in Vanilla, and paladins to some degree. Bears got fixed mid-TBC , and paladins used to be the joke of all tanks for all TBC (except for hyjal trash). Now warriors are the poorest cousins. Next patch DKs will be crying. However, for most people, unless you delete toons, all those toons will be lying neglected until they become the flavor of the month, sadly enough.

Salute those who play prot warriors now, or DKs post 3.2 patch, and curse those who level prot paladins for the next patch.
    Last edited by Insahnity; 06-30-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Im worried because my server is full of elitist...For most Raiding guilds you have to be a specific kind of dps or tank(Their recruiting adds are like"Looking to recruit dps, Feral druid, all other classes dont bother applying...or...LF DK TANK!!!")

Im leveling my warrior simply because ranged dps got old and was relatively inexciting(I can set a fireball 2x & scorch 4x Macro,leave to get a sandwich and come back during boss battles). Im not making a tank just because they will(Or might) get a boost in 3.2, but because my guild needs one...and i want to be a good all arounder when it comes to tanking...And i really have no care what class.(Im at the altiholic stage anyway)

Ty for the replies guys!!! This is way better than those stuck up, flaming,losers on the official wow forum!
    I like my allies medium well with a side of potatoes.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Insahnity View Post

The game is in constant flux. Bear tanks were non-existant in Vanilla, and paladins to some degree. Bears got fixed mid-TBC , and paladins used to be the joke of all tanks for all TBC (except for hyjal trash). Now warriors are the poorest cousins. Next patch DKs will be crying. However, for most people, unless you delete toons, all those toons will be lying neglected until they become the flavor of the month, sadly enough.
    Salute those who play prot warriors now, or DKs post 3.2 patch, and curse those who level prot paladins for the next patch.
    I would like to take a moment and thank the person who wrote this. I am an old vanilla wow guy from way back in the day..(VisKag the Bloodletter was muh bomb diggity sword for my rogue and how I dpsed!)

I checked out BC a bit and its ok..but didnt get into it.

Now I decided to come back for wrath for a bit in order to save a bit of money...(Wow is the only thing i can think of where you get like 80 hours a week of entertainment for 15 dollars a month:P)

Anyway I am going to bring up a tank..and the above post inspired me to be a warrior. I know pallys are much more dynamic and at the moment more effective...but ever since I saw T2 Warrior gear....I wanted it:P

Anway this website is awesome and will be my bread and butter for tanking knowledge....
    and thanks for the inspiration to be the underdog tank of awesomeness.

Druids are the most flexible by a mile inside a raid. The other tanks are all restricted to melee DPS as their DPS build and the Paladin is the only other one that can swap to healing.

For tank flexibility all of the tanks are good except the Warriors. DK/Paladin/Druid can do decent dps in an OT role on a 2 ---> 1 encounter like Thaddius and they have pretty strong AOE DPS as well. The Warrior's only strength is easy application of Sunder Armor/Demo Shout/Thunderclap.

Warriors tanks have had broken mechanics for years. You aren't seeing many recent nerfs because you aren't looking far enough back in the patch notes (try looking for 2.0 or 1.3) and our problems remain unfixed for years at a time. I guess my point is that the volume of recent patches that bring a nerf might be lower but that has little to do with how good a class is.

+ Reply to Thread