+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaving

Cleaving

I thought this skill was pointless for holding multi threat on multiple mobs but apparently im wrong, is this true?

Also i normally use devistate but people say use sunder to x5 then devistate as sunder has move threat, is that true too?

Cheers.

I would think the answer would depend on whether or not you run out of rage. If you don't run out of rage, then cleave away. If you do then it's a matter of whether or not changing targets and using a single target cooldown or devastate would produce better results, which is to say, nobody is pulling aggro. I find that often TC, Cleave, and Shockwave aren't enough if someone is single target attacking a mob I'm not targetting so I end up having to tab target a lot even with using Cleave.

I'm not sure about the Devastate question. I never use Sunder Armor by itself. I have the Glyph of Devastate and Glyph of Sunder Armor and use Devastate to apply sunders.

yeh i also tab a hell of a lot but i havent got the sunder glyph as i prefered to have the last stand , blocking and devistate, maybe i should change thedevistate for the sunder one. bit more aggro maybe

Cleaving is key to multimob tanking. Use it like Heroic Strike - i.e. when you're above 50 rage.

As to your latter question, the answer is here:
    http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...at-values.html

I read from that Devastate > Sunder.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

so i got
    "but does not give the threat for it."

which means x5 normal sunder then devistate to keep it up.

Well, I may be a noob or something, but it says:

Threat Values
    Devastate: Damage + 5% of AP
    Sunder: 345 + 5% of AP

So as long as your Devastate dmg(50% of wep dmg + 15 per Sunder applied) is higher than 345, Devastate > Sunder Armor.

If your Devastate dmg is less than 345, then Sunder by itself would cause more threat.

Using the Glyph of Sunder will always hit the second target with a normal Sunder, not Devastate. Thus, the 2nd target will not have quite as much threat on it as the your primary target due to Devestate on the primary target causing a bit more threat (assuming your Devastate dmg is higher than 345 + 15 per sunder).

Again, I may be overlooking something. Thats just my take.

EDIT: Just scrolled down and saw the bit you quoted. So.. I honestly don't know now Maybe someone with a higher degree in mathematics can chime in

Devastate applies a sunder.... always use devastate and dont use sunder itself. The only reason to ever use sunder is if you wanted to apply it to a crowd controlled mob. It does no damage.

There are several glyphs that will help. Glyph of cleave makes cleave hit a 3rd mob and they have a devastate glyph that will apply 2 sunders for one devastate and another that will sunder a nearby mob if you use devastate.

Glyph of blocking is good and there is a vigilance one that might be ok (I have not used that one).
    Deeps for show..... tank for dough.....

+ Reply to Thread