+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gemming for Expt or Parry

Gemming for Expt or Parry

Feel free to armory my DK if you wish. Laughingman of Suramar.

As it stands right now I am Def capped, but am quite far from being Expertise capped. I know about the importance of Expertise, but I am looking for advise as to whether I should be gemming for Parry for Avoidance, or for Expertise to increase threat generation and eliminate Parry Buffing. In short is Avoidance more important that Expertise for a DK, especially one at my level.

you would never gem for parry - always go with dodge > parry.

however, you currently have 5 expertise, so a couple exp/stam gems would not hurt.

As a DK tank you should at least have 26 expertise IMO. DKs rely more on hitting the boss than being hit (RP generated only when you hit, not when hit), so expertise is a vital stat to aim for. 26 expertise is the soft cap, where your attacks will no longer be dodged by a boss level mob. Any more than that is icing on the cake: nice, but not entirely necessary.

So yes, you should be gemming for it if you don't have 26 expertise already. And as the poster above stated, never gem for parry. If you're going to gem for avoidance you'd gem for dodge.

EDIT: After looking at your armory I also notice you're quite low on hit. That's pretty important to cap as well, for the same reason stated above. You want 8% physical hit to cap melee attacks; it's more for spells like diseases, but that isn't as important.
    Last edited by Varya; 06-29-2009 at 05:16 PM.

Thanks for the help. I am new to this whole tanking thing, so my gear is less than desirable, but nevertheless, it is much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Varya View Post
    As a DK tank you should at least have 26 expertise And as the poster above stated, never gem for parry. If you're going to gem for avoidance you'd gem for dodge.
    Why is this? Hope you don't mind me asking I'm not even end game tanking yet but I'd think 40% faster swing with a dodge would be better?

Basically the rate at which you gain avoidance from each 1 dodge rating is higher than you gain it from 1 parry rating. Therefore if you're trying to maximise your avoidance, for equal amounts of dodge and parry rating, the dodge gives you more.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

+ Reply to Thread