+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tanking Skill Rotation -- Lost...

Tanking Skill Rotation -- Lost...

Hey all.

I just swapped from Feral DPS to Tanking yesterday. I have not tanked since Wrath released and things are a bit strange to me as of now. I have a fantastic tanking set as I was thrown all of the Feral tanking gear while in Ulduar and then I just regemmed and reenchanted my tier gear.

While doing 10M Maly yesterday, my TPS was pathetic. I had a lock and mage pulling aggro off of me right from the beginning.

Now, from what I can understand (after some research), is that my rotation should look like this:

- Berserk (at the beginning of the fight)
    - Mangle
    - Lacerate up to 5
    - Mangle
    - Maul spam
    - Mangle when it is back up and keep up Lacerate

Now, to be quite honest, I was not throwing up Berserk at the beginning of the fight. So that could have been my downfall right off of the bat.

There has been some other information out there that states that Swipe produces more TPS than Maul even when you are only going up against one target.

Armory -- The World of Warcraft Armory

Thanks for the help folks and I look forward to getting this crap right!

Im surprised you're having any trouble at all, given how overgeared you are for maly10. Yes, your rotation is fine, except you should throw in FFF whenever you get a chance (mangle on CD, already have 5 stacks lacerate) - FFF is more damage & threat than swipe these days. As I said, you're so overgeared, I cant imagine why you'd have any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lga45 View Post
    Im surprised you're having any trouble at all, given how overgeared you are for maly10. Yes, your rotation is fine, except you should throw in FFF whenever you get a chance (mangle on CD, already have 5 stacks lacerate) - FFF is more damage & threat than swipe these days. As I said, you're so overgeared, I cant imagine why you'd have any issues.
    Again, being 100% honest, my rotation was my issue last night. I can tell just by everything that I am reading now.

Clarification question insofar as the rotation --

- Berserk at the beginning of the fight
    - Mangle
    - Lacerate up to 5
    - FFF
    - Maul/Swipe (not sure 100% what is being more used at the moment)
    - Keep up Mangle and FFF on CDs and then keep up Lacerate and spam Maul/Swipe.

That look better?
    Last edited by Halfass; 06-29-2009 at 11:14 AM.

If you do not have any classes with bleeds, make sure to stack lacerate before the berserk and drop a mangle towards the end of berserk to keep it refreshed. 20% maul damage is a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    If you do not have any classes with bleeds, make sure to stack lacerate before the berserk and drop a mangle towards the end of berserk to keep it refreshed. 20% maul damage is a lot.
    Have a full time DPS warrior. So got that covered.

Maul isn't on the GCD; it's not a spell, it's a modification of the normal attack.

Macros:

#Showtooltip
    /cast Mangle (Bear)(Rank 5)
    /cast Maul

#Showtooltip
    /cast Faerie Fire (Feral)()
    /cast Maul

#Showtooltip
    /cast Lacerate(Rank 3)
    /cast Maul

#showtooltip
    /cast Swipe (Bear)(Rank 8)
    /cast Maul

Note: I haven't actually tested any of these yet.

Edit: I tested them yesterday. Aside from some fail - I didn't switch to tank gear before pulling Malygos - I was doing just fine. TPS was higher than I have seen it before for myself. And I don't feel too bad about Maly, the first pull [and wipe] was a mispull [Never, EVER put a feast/soulwell/summoning stone/table near the orb in the middle] so I was kinda out of sorts for the second pull.

Picked up 3 upgrades - Head, Waist, Boots. Almost expertise capped [50 expertise], working more on other threat stats now.
    Last edited by Viridios; 07-01-2009 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfass View Post
    Again, being 100% honest, my rotation was my issue last night. I can tell just by everything that I am reading now.

Clarification question insofar as the rotation --

- Berserk at the beginning of the fight
    - Mangle
    - Lacerate up to 5
    - FFF
    - Maul/Swipe (not sure 100% what is being more used at the moment)
    - Keep up Mangle and FFF on CDs and then keep up Lacerate and spam Maul/Swipe.

That look better?
    Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the reason you cast berserk is so mangle has no CD? So needs to be used once lacerate is stacked and you have enough rage to sustain mangle spam?

I would normally do:
    - FFF
    - Mangle + Maul
    - Lacerate + Maul until 5 stack of lacerate
    - Berserk
    - Mangle + Maul until berserk is over - Making sure lacerate doesnt fall off.

Then just mangle when off CD, FF when off CD and mix in lacerate to keep debuff up, and use swipe when everything is good. All while hitting maul with each ability.

Were you rage starved at all? Being overgeared might leave you with not enough rage to play with, and I assume you were with ulduar geared DPS. With a spark or two it doesnt take much for them to do insane damage.

+ Reply to Thread