+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Starting Uld 25, Looking for Advice

Starting Uld 25, Looking for Advice

Hello everyone. This is a first post for me. I generally read more than ask questions, but I will try to be as clear and concise as possible, and squeeze this into as little space as I can.

Question 1: Deep Wounds in a tanking spec.
    I've seen quite a few higher end Ulduar 25 tanks speccing into this talent, and I can't seem to figure out why. I understand that if Damage Shield could crit, it would add to a warrior's AoE threat gen, but as far as I can tell, Damage shield does not crit. On average, unbuffed, my deep wound ticks for around 61 damage. This seems fairly negligable to me, so could someone please explain to me why this seems to be an important 3-point talent, whereas I could throw it into something like the extra 3% crit from cruelty?

Question 2: Glyph of Blocking
    This also seems to defy any explanation. Unbuffed, my warrior has 975 block value. Now, given the 10% block value after a shield slam, that (roughly rounding things to simplify here), gives a little less than 100 block value. With the majority of Ulduar tanking warrior gear giving little to no Block value, I don't understand where the value of this talent comes in, as compared to some of the other majors, such as Vigilance, Last Stand, or Shield wall. I assume it has something to do with the threat gen on shield slams, but could anyone please clarify this for me?

Question 3: Ulduar 10
    We've cleared 10-man up to Vezax and are currently struggling with it. Firstly, on the Vezax fight: Should I utilize the kiting method, or should I just stand still and blow shield wall/Last stand on a rotation during surges? I'm currently glyphed for 2min cooldowns, so I can catch each surge with a cooldown if need be.

Question 4: Ulduar 25
    My guild has recently started Uld25, and we've gotten 5 down so far (FL, Ignis, Razorscale, Kologarn, and XT-002). We seem to be struggling with Iron Council a bit, having problems with rune of power + fusion punch combos. I basically get steamrolled before I can even react. I'm also having some threat problems with Hodir, mostly due to the lost stats from putting on the frost gear. Any suggestions?

Question 5: My Gear/Spec
    The World of Warcraft Armory

If anyone who has experience with Ulduar 25 notices anything out of place with either the gear or spec (try to keep in mind that I can only use what drops and the officers decide to give me instead of the pally tank), could you please give me a heads up?

Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, and thanks in advance to anyone who hits me with a constructive reply.

Anyone? I'd appreciate feedback on any of the questions above.

Question 1: Deep Wounds in a tanking spec.
    DW will give you more threat than cruelty. Really not much to say about this, the math is around and its pretty darn accurate. 3% crit will do very little for a prot warrior compared to a free dot that requires no rage, and is constantly up.

Question 2: Glyph of Blocking
    The worth of this comes from two places, number one would be the synergy between Blocking/Revenge/HS (ie, SS for more block, more block allows revenge, revenge gives free HS.) and I agree that the combo of that has kind of been pushed to the back thanks to the new warrior glyphs. Its not really worth using most of the time when compared to the newer ones.

Question 3: Ulduar 10
    I can't really awnser this, try both and ask your healers which they liked more.

Question 4: Ulduar 25
    Well, for IC on your first kill you might just need some luck, getting a rune just as he casts Fusion Punch can equal a wipe if you don't have someone dedicated to removing it. If you keep wiping on him, I would sacrifice a ret pally and have him totally dedicate himself to removing it. On Hodir, if you are having tons of threat issues, pick up the Vigilance glyph, and have an OT in FR gear while you stay in your normal setup. Just as frozen blows is cast, have him taunt from max range, and when there is 10 seconds left on Frozen Blows duration, taunt it back (again, you should be at max range from Hodir.) this should minimize the FB damage you take, while still allows for a large amount of threat. If you are still having threat issues, have your OT take it at close range so you can continue to build up that threat and not have the downtime of Hodir running about.

Question 5: My Gear/Spec
    You logged out in DPS gear, but your prot spec looks fine.

Just to add a couple things:

Damage Shield can crit. The only problem is, the higher your avoidance goes, the less likely it is that you'll proc Damage Shield at all.

Vezax can easily be tanked without kiting by a warrior with 2 min LS and SW. Not as easily as a DK, but it's still not that bad. Just make sure to pop a trinket with LS - don't rely on it alone.

The easiest way we found to deal with the fusion punch one shots on IC was to either:

A. Make sure you strafe him out of the Rune of Power, don't back up

or, even better

B. Have an off tank at max range taunt Steelbreaker when the rune appears. This should never happen more than 3 times before he dies, you you'll avoid the taunt DR. Also, you can tell who is getting the rune by having the tank on Runemaster call out who is getting the rune - Runemaster will always target the boss he's going to put a rune under right before he does it.

+ Reply to Thread