+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NPC Level vs. You

NPC Level vs. You

So I am trying to do some more calculations of my own and hoping someone can point me in the right direction. So I will state what I know and what I don't to narrow down redundant information.

So I realise the purpose behind 540 defense is to be non-crittable. Seeing how NPC's of the same level have a base 5% chance to crit and with every level above me it adds an additional.2% to be crit. So the 5.6% or 689 rating or 540 defense.

Then for expertise we know bosses have a base 5% to dodge an attack then an additional .5% for every level above us so hence the 6.5%.

Ok so to the point. So if I were a boss I know my crits are nullified against the person but how are my chances to hit modified. Since I am 3 levels above the hordes (Term not used as a reference to side but quantities of people)fighting me how are my chances to hit improved?

So why I was curious is I did an avoidance calculator that reflects avoidance on a NPC that is the same level as you and that is what we generally see. What would a boss see when looking at our avoidance and how is it affected?
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

It should work the same way. Everything is derived from the comparison of the attacker's weapon skill and the targets defense skill, and the fact that both (base value) are equal to level * 5. Each point of defense skill beyond your attacker's weapon skill increases your chances to dodge, to parry and to be missed by 0.04%, and decreases your chances to be criticaly hit by the same ammount. This is why bosses gain 0.2% chances to crit you per additional level ( levels * 5 * 0.04 ).

The same math applies to hit/miss. The base chance to miss is 5% for equal level oponents, and the target gains a 0.04% chance to be missed with every point of level skill above the attacker's weapon skill (and proportionately, 0.2% chances to be missed per additional level).

So from that a level 77 going against me would only have a 4.4% chance to crit me? or a 3.5 chance to dodge my attacks?
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

I forgot to add, if the difference between the attacker's weapon skill and the target's defense skill is greater than 10 (2 levels), a different formula applies for miss chance, in that case base chance is 6% instead of 5% and with additional defense skill you gain (Defense/Weapon skill difference - 10)*.4% chance to be missed (which is why bosses get 8%: 6+(15-10)*0.4=8).

This are all base values, you still have to add crit/hit chances from gear, etc.

Two important aspects to point out:

1.) Like Molohk said, the values we have cover close differences, particularly dealing with level 80-83 mobs attacking you (as that's where it will really matter for gear etc). Outside of this other factors start coming into play, including much lower level mobs actually having a reduced damage factor as well.

2.) Tarigar, you're misinformed about dodge. The dodge chance for bosses is actually 6.4% and it has nothing to do with level difference. Mobs have their own assigned dodge/parry values and bosses happen to be capped at 6.4% dodge and 14% parry (though there are sometimes bosses with different stats I haven't seen it in Wrath, not that I've been looking very closely). 26 expertise (6.5%) is the soft cap because you can't actually get 6.4% dodge reduction, expertise counts up 0.25% for each point on sheet value and it doesn't handle smaller fractions (that we can see or test easily).

To answer your second question, when a boss sees us, it is only our stats slightly diminished by the weapon skill vs def skill difference Molohk described. In other words, your character sheet shows your avoidance vs a level 80 attacker, so a boss level mob would have that miss/dodge/parry chance minus 0.06% each (0.02% per level difference).
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

+ Reply to Thread