+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ulduar Tank DPS

Ulduar Tank DPS

Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory

So I know this is a highly discussed issue throughout the warrior community aready, but just wanting to get an idea of what people are doing, or if there is something I'm doing wrong...as my DPS seems Terribad Low...but I'm also in a 10 Man only guild, so hard to compare with 25 man figures and stacked raids.

Boss DPS: Usually around 1200-1400.
    Trash DPS: 1400-1600

I was using the UA build for awhile on Bosses, and was able to see 1800-2200 on most of the Uld bosses, but have since gone back to a standard tanking build since I now have the 2 piece T8 bonus...which I am starting to doubt its effectivness.

Rotation is standard: Dev, Rev, SS, SW, CBlow, and Heroic Strike Spam...abilities are all used on Cooldown or SnB procs.

I wasn't all that worried about DPS till we started trying hardmodes and my Pally OT was doing more DPS and wasn't tanking anything at the time. Anyway...may not be anything or much I can do except start swapping DPS gear in when I have the Overcapped Defense available...but any tricks or advice would be appreciated.

Protection Warrior dps isn't going to be anything worth writing home about. It is what it is and it is quite bad - well below what the other tanking classes can do. When you ask a protection warrior to dps (in protection spec) what you're really asking is "would you mind staying in tank gear in case the other tank gets wiped and just auto attack while you read a magazine?" And since prot war dps really only is "tank wipe insurance" you're probably best to remain in tank gear.

Now, if pure dps is what is needed then what you might do is just dual-spec with arms or fury for those times when only one tank is needed. That is the only way you'll really contribute to dps while providing sunder/demo/clap for non-warrior tanks.

Dual spec is the only way to go really. Prot war dps doesn't exist afaik. This is my approach to 10/25 man raiding at least with my warrior. I can tank or dps...but I can't tank and do dps. I have to swap specs otherwise I'm just tank wipe insurance and you're 9/24 manning the boss b/c I don't really contribute much other than class debuffs.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

All of that said, you should have no trouble breaking 2k DPS in a standard tanking spec.

The most likely culprit if you're ~1400 is not enough Heroic Strikes. Do you have a WWS parse handy of, say, your last XT-002 fight?

Being a prot warrior yeah my dps sucks and a DK can do better. While he may do 1k better in his tank gear than me he will do 2k better when comparing dps gear. So i still get to tank :P.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Lorvak View Post
    ...but any tricks or advice would be appreciated.
    Roll a DK.

On a more Serious note those numbers are low, make sure you are spamming HS on every swing (so every 1.6s).

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar
    Being a prot warrior yeah my dps sucks and a DK can do better. While he may do 1k better in his tank gear than me he will do 2k better when comparing dps gear. So i still get to tank :P.
    Depends really, with Dual spec I do more DPS than any of the other tanks as arms so on Hard Modes I let our druid tank, our prot pally OT (when needed) and I DPS. It's really a question of what the encounter requires and what works best in your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyseh View Post
    Roll a DK.

On a more Serious note those numbers are low, make sure you are spamming HS on every swing (so every 1.6s).

Depends really, with Dual spec I do more DPS than any of the other tanks as arms so on Hard Modes I let our druid tank, our prot pally OT (when needed) and I DPS. It's really a question of what the encounter requires and what works best in your setup.
    What's your dps as arms?
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Yeah, I'm the bear Rhys was referring to, and he generally beats me on dps, (depending on the fight), but warriors can get up there on the meters. That is, unless I'm solo tanking VoA & come 2nd overall at 4.5k on the new boss
    Last edited by Tygorl; 06-25-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.ordnance-guild.org - Ordnance is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Tygorl View Post
    Yeah, I'm the bear Rhys was referring to, and he generally beats me on dps, (not by much), but warriors can get up there on the meters. That is, unless I'm solo tanking VoA & come 2nd overall at 4.5k
    My DK's are running 5-7k dps. Pallies are 5-6k. All the warriors run 3-4.5k.

I can't get near your pallies or dk's, particularly in 10's! Then again, I've never had the best bear dps for many reasons in the past - hit cap, lag etc. When we entered Ulduar I stopped worrying about my dps completely & started concentrating on survival and threat instead. Having said that I've made sure I'm hit capped & expertise soft capped for hard modes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.ordnance-guild.org - Ordnance is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    What's your dps as arms?
    DPS can't be properly measured in Ulduar fights due to the nature of the encounters, however my current DPS in my offspec ranges from 4.5k to 6k depending on the encounter/length of the encounter and buffs/debuffs

You guys are talking about 2 different things. Tyg is talking about DPS while tanking, Tarigar is talking about DPS while DPSing

Well...when my rage bar gets full and I"m dps'ing as prot, I'll pop to battle and just spam HS. HS spam is about our best move. Keep rend/clap/shouts up and spam HS and SS when you can. I also spam Bloodrage and Zerker rage when I can My dps as prot is probably in the 1.8k-2.4k range. I also "stand in shit" to get more rage for more spam. Again, you're really only useful to provide debuffs, ints, and shouts. Any dps is "gravy."

My dps as arms is around 3k with high movement and a bit more with less movement but my gear is pretty crappy and more of my focus is on keeping debuffs up and stuff to help the raid/other tanks out. I'm literally upgrading heroic/quest blues with Ulduar gear.
    Former healbot now a Disgruntled protection warrior.

I have HS stuck to Mousewheel along with Revenge. I am continually rolling that and, no, I don't have a WWS, but looking back in Recount, my HS are definately the bulk of my attacks. I am wondering if its just that we tend to run very caster heavy as well. Only Melee is 1 Arms Warrior, and Prot Pally...occasionally a Ret Pally. So overall I am missing a ton of Buffs from other Melee. Anway...will make sure I'm keeping the HS up...and we'll see. So far it hasn't hinered us too much...working on Yogg and such...but with how strict DPS seems to be, may hinder me on Hard modes...we'll see. Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    My DK's are running 5-7k dps. Pallies are 5-6k. All the warriors run 3-4.5k.

Don't know about you, but I dont see any pallies or druids above me in damage in some fights in Ulduar (below is an XT link). DPS is one thing, but damage is whats important.

All classes can do high dps and damage if they know what they're doing

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Regarding Tanking DPS, I dont think warriors will ever get that high dps output like pallies and DKs...but if you have really good avoidance and mitigation, we can hold the best threat on bosses for a long period of time. DKs are mostly soakers cuz of their cooldowns and pallies are awesome AOE tanks so that is why their dps is high....but warriors will always be really good single target tankers that can probably tank a boss for an hour without losing aggro whatsoever.
    Last edited by Chalora; 06-26-2009 at 11:14 AM.

Wow Web Stats

I agree with you Lorvak. I constantly am hitting HS and 1700dps on XT is about the best I can do.

+ Reply to Thread