+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank TPS

Tank TPS

I always wanted to see a Thread like that in some Tanking forums and now I will be the one to make it.

I welcome all tanks (No matter Gear, Skill or whatever else) to enter and gve us their TPS (Threat Per Second for the ones wondering what is that - can be found in all Threat Meters like Omen etc), next to your TPS we need to see your class and Armory Link so we have an idea of what gear you are using for it. Also a ScreenShot of some Raid Boss with Threat Meter open would be nice.

So it should look like this:

TPS - Class/Spec - Armory Link - ScreenShot (if you can provide one)
    And whatever else info you want to give us

Thank you in advance,
    HawkBane

Edit: Really Looking forward for Ciderhelm's and Xav's replies

Hmmm, that's a tricky request to pull off, for a few reasons.

1.) Hard for it not to be a measuring contest
    2.) TPS is incredibly variable depending on fight and moment in the fight (i.e. buffs, spikes of threat, etc)
    3.) Threat is all about when it is applied, and only ever about how much is needed. If you can do 12k tps in the first 30 sec of the fight and only average 4k for the 2 min after that, that could be more than enough to cover you.

I'm curious to see where this goes, if it actually yields anything useful.

Osyras, my Blood DK (link above in my characters)
    I average 6k-ish on typical boss fights according to parses (3-5% from healing)
    On Omen I sample at 6 sec, and I've seen spikes as high as 15-18k with certain encounter buffs or when I get a longer chain of crits.
    When I glance at it, my omen usually sits somewhere between 3.5k and 9k again depending on when I chain a few crits.
    Since my gear has been switching over to Uld gear almost exclusively I have not had any issues with my dpsers riding my tail or pulling threat when they didn't do something stupid (like attack something I hadn't started threat on yet, like say after a threat drop).

Does that help? Heh
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

As Satori says, it really depends on the fight, as if you choose to do a fight where you get extreme buffs, such as Thaddius 25, or Iron council hard mode, you can spike at 20k TPS without too much difficulty. There are also things like misdirects or tricks of the trade which can add a great deal of burst threat too.
    Being solo or in a raid can also make a huge difference, especially with bloodlust

Ideally you want a standard fight on which to compare, one where the tank is being hit sufficiently hard to have rage to spare, and where you don't get one chance a week due to raid lockouts

One possible example could be the single gargoyle at the entrance to naxx 25. This mob is resettable, and does a reasonable amount of damage to get some good threat generation. Any other suggestions?

TPS has never been something you could reliably measure. For months pre and post expertise in TBC I had almost untouchable BT parses (along with Xav) simply because I had an incredibly high DPS guild and Bloodlust was up at a greater percentage for me than for others, and later, as gear improved, because I could wear PvP gear / BiS Pve DPS gear to tank with.
    In WoTLK it's the same concept. TPS is best measured by your own success at keeping agro. If you keep it, you win.

For what it's worth, when I am using Shieldwater Girdle over Indestructible, Aesir's Edge with Stoneskin, and expertise gear over avoidance, TPS seems to stick around 7-8K, with large spikes over 14K if Rune Strikes are solid during Hysteria. Then I start staring at my wall and watching TV until someone yells they are catching up.
    Luckily, wowmeters are down, like always.

Sustained TPS Numbers

sustained TPS numbers.

Poor name for the thread, average TPS numbers is more accurate, ha ha. It's funny to see what people can do with hardcore threat setups.

If only there were a tool to compare your threat timeline vs the dps's threat timelines, THAT would be interesting and relevant!
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

Tps 5k ( that is my average depends on fight) Feral/Druid The World of Warcraft Armory

I think part of the reason my TPS is low is i have issues with rage at beginning of fights and my hit is low i think this will get better as move further in Ulduar

Armory has one of my gems wrong just looked should be 8agi/8hit in my boots
    Last edited by Tazncazper; 06-29-2009 at 10:50 AM.

+ Reply to Thread