+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Struggling with holding aggro on multiple mobs

Struggling with holding aggro on multiple mobs

Howdy,

I seem to be really struggling holding aggro on multiple mobs. I am pretty sure that it is just a rotation problem on my part (I use the rotation mentioned in the guides section for Prot Warriors) but was wondering if someone could look at my profile and see if I am missing anything. Thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate and my guildies will too.

The World of Warcraft Armory
    I like Gnomes......FRIED

Reroll Paladin. Warriors are just simply not AoE tanks, specially in raids. Best you can do is hope you have the right CD when you need it and try to manage. Shockwave/TC whenever possible.
    I don't even try to AoE tank tho, let your Pally/DK friend tank the trash. Pick up one or two mobs to help mitigate his damage and I generally look for any stranglers that may be going to rape some clothies.

Perhaps spec into deep wounds? As *I believe* deep wounds can proc off of thunderclap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevannus View Post
    Perhaps spec into deep wounds? As *I believe* deep wounds can proc off of thunderclap.
    Yes DW procs off of TC and Shockwave.

Your gear looks pretty decent, I'd certainly consider changing up your spec a bit. If you are in need of threat, the 15/5/51 build is a good starting point.

While we may not be on par threat wise vs. a Pally or DK, we have some tools of our own to handle multiple mobs. Make sure your DPS is giving you a few secs head start then hit them with a SW/TC/Cleave. I see you also put a point in Piercing Howl, I specced into that for a while when I was doing alot of add tanking. It's another nice tool to use, but I'd lose the point in Blood Craze thats pretty much worthless IMHO for Prot warriors. You may also consider going with a Glyph of Cleave to help reduce the rage cost.

Most of the problems I have with AOE tanking usually stems from DPS not waiting to let me get an aggro lead, or they are DPSing a target other than mine. It usually helps to call out or mark your initial target.

Make sure you are taking the time to tab target through the mobs once you have a good threat lead on your initial target. Hit each one with two high threat moves and that should be enough to keep them on you. As someone else already mentioned, the 15/5/51 is pretty darn good for AOE tanking.

Drop the Enraged Regeneration Glyph and get Glyph of Cleave. Heroic trash pulls are the perfect place to practice AOE tanking.

I find that most of the time I have aggro issues, it's the DPS getting trigger happy or hitting the wrong initial target. When running with guildies, I tell them, "you pull something off of me and you own it, I'm not taking it back "

really annoys me that dk's and pally's outthreat me, i feel like a useless sack of sh*t sometimes

check out my gear to, not too shabby
    Ricovega
    Adrastus III - EU Skullcrusher

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated!!
    I like Gnomes......FRIED

I picked up the sunder glyph as I never used cleave in my rotation. I didn't have the standard DW build at the time either. Throw Vigilance on someone who doesn't do bad aoe tps to boost yours. Tab was also my friend.

Bloodcraze is useless for you in a PvE scenario as you should never get crit.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

You never use cleave?

If you want to hold decent AoE threat:
    * spec into deep wounds
    * use glyph of cleave
    * I like glyph of vigilance

The warrior has one edge over other tanks, its burst aggro. In my experience no paladin/dk/druid can top your threat on many mobs the first few seconds. Tclap, shockwave are your friends. This enables your DPS to begin nuking early.

To substain good aggro as a warrior tank you will have to become a bit hyperactive and go crazy on your keyboard
    Change your target often - notice that clicking is better than tab targeting sometimes, with a little training you will recognize which mobs are likely to loose aggro, bash them harder
    Use tclap every CD, use shockwave unless the CD won't be ready for the next pull. In between use your single target priority list and spam cleave all the time (if you have enough rage to do so).

For a long time i never used cleave, but during a lull last night i set up a tool bar withCleave macroed into Devastate, Revenge and shield slam. So now have three bars; one with cleave macroed, one with HS macored, and one without anything for when i'm rage starved. and so at the press of a button i can flip HS on, or cleave on.

I ended up on a HC HoS gear run. i always been a bit wary of the tribunal, since if DPS are slacking/under geared, i'm going to be having lots of mobs. and since this was a gear run we had a decent Boomkin and we're gearing a ret pally and a fury warrior, so dps would be lacking, but rage wouldn't. i decided that as soon as the rage bar filled i'd switch to the claver macroed bar.

I have never had such a smooth run with such low dps, the boomkin usually brings about 3k, the pally at 1k and fury warrior at 500.

i didn't lose threat once despite the dps burning anything as soon as it ran through the door. once landed somethin on them i had aggro.

Cleave... sure its situational, but its pretty much the third leg of our AoE tanking, i can't beleive how long i struggled with out.

i almost want to glyph it...but vigilance i use all the time, blocking i really don't want to lose....so maybe last stand?

I am using 2 specs. My threat / trash spec is 15/5/51 with blocking, vigilance and cleave glyphs.
    For bosses which require lots of cooldowns I have a different spec with improved disciplines, improved demo shout and last stand + shildwall glyphed.

no matter how how i tried i don't seem to be able to hold agro when dps are doing 10k+ dps and not even waiting for a few sec for more agro,if i have like 4-5 sec before people start dpsing i'l be fine..

I don't really spec into trash if i do i'll need triple spec.

I'm really not happy that our aoe threat is not as high as other tanks, if the goal is to make all tanks equal.

I'm talking about tanking 15+ mobs (e.g. freya flower pack), you can't just tab cleave and have enough agro to hold 10k+ dps

+ Reply to Thread