+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Blade Warding by the Logs

I've long since gotten rid of my Blade Ward enchant, but our Prot Paladin is still using it. Here's a link to a 25 man XT Hard Mode kill:

WoW Meter Online - Combatlog Replay

8:53 (533 seconds), 6 procs, 28 seconds of uptime (5%), 4 Parries while Buff was active (1050 average damage).

So, also interesting here. First, I can't really see a way to tell if the buff stacked or not from the WMO, but I'll assume they didn't stack at all (given the low proc rate). If there were 6 procs, and only 4 triggered parries while the buff was up, that means 2 of the procs were up for their full 10 second duration and then fell off without being consumed. So 20 of the 28 seconds of uptime were from those "unused" procs. Futher, this means that the remaining 8 seconds of uptime had 4 parries, an average of 2 second of the Buff being up before a parry occured (and an overall average of 4.6 seconds of the buff being active before a parry occurs).

Seems like the uptime of Blade Ward for paladins is a lot less than for warriors.

[Also, there are a ton of failed XT-Hard attempts in that WMO all with the Blade Ward Paladin MTing. A lot of data.]

At least one of the damage proc's was when he has a double stack up because the "max" damage from the proc was 1,574 damage. However with the average damage the other damage proc's were only with a single stack. This is by far the worst I've seen for an up time from the buff. The next most terrible was also from a paladin. The folks over at maintainadin.com seem to think it's not particularly valuable and for a paladin I'm beginning to agree.

5% uptime... terrible. That's almost 12 parry rating overall.

Even though this looks ugly it is notable that 5 out of 6 proc's resulted in the damage proc. (one was refreshed into a 2 stack thus the 4 hits)

For my druthers I would be happy as long as I had around a 20% uptime or better overall on boss fights. If I consistently got less I would go for Blood Draining or Accuracy depending if I wanted survival or threat.

A paladin will have much less uptime on any proc enchant than other tanking classes because of the much smaller number of instant attacks they can boost their PPM with.

(However in 3.2 both SoV dot and judgement hits will be able to proc abilities, giving paladins some pretty comparable ppm to other classes)

Dodge/Agi/Parry changes were solely to make blade ward look more attrctive.

/tinfoil hat

With the changes(if they go live), mongoose will be dead as an avoidance enchant compared to bladeward

Is there an addon which shows you info about Blade Wardin damage and proc?

Sorry for the stupid question.

Any damage meter will be able to tell you the number of procs that resulted in damage attacks. Otherwise your best useing something like WMO, WWS or WOL to parse the data.

I've been on the PTR a lot recently and I've noticed a significant increase in blade warding procs on my paladin. Is this because the holy vengeance DoT and 5stack proc now both count as melee attacks? On the test dummy I was getting frequent procs of it and I can only assume this is because of the new SoV essentially adding an extra melee attack every 3 seconds, plus the extra proc every 1.6 from the 5stack proc.

Either way, it makes Blade Warding suck a great deal less!

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
    I've been on the PTR a lot recently and I've noticed a significant increase in blade warding procs on my paladin. Is this because the holy vengeance DoT and 5stack proc now both count as melee attacks? On the test dummy I was getting frequent procs of it and I can only assume this is because of the new SoV essentially adding an extra melee attack every 3 seconds, plus the extra proc every 1.6 from the 5stack proc.

Either way, it makes Blade Warding suck a great deal less!
    I'm glad to see it may be getting better for pallies in 3.2. With all the avoidance changes coming up in the patch alot of these values will have to be reconsidered however I can only imagine it getting better. While this enchant seems to be getting effectively buffed by the changes to other things I don't think it will be so big a change that it will make it THE tanking enchant but a solid option.

Quote Originally Posted by Superspy23 View Post
    Trying to nail down the exact worth of this enchant. We'll look primarily at logs this time to break it down. Comparisons are welcome. Mongoose and 26 agility come to mind as enchants similar enough to be compared.

I'm most interested in the up time, the number of stacks, and the uptime of the additional stacks.

Further useful information like number of times the boss swung at you. How many times the damage portion went off. What your attack table looked like for the duration of the fight.

Mostly we need to see lots of logs. (May be difficult because most are using the more EH style enchant because they are in progression mode.)
    I'm going to resurrect this and hopefully get some new logs to parse its worth now that the changes to parry rating are in place as well as paladin skills now being physical attacks that can proc this enchant.

Post em if you got em.

+ Reply to Thread