+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting in a Guild as a Tank?

Getting in a Guild as a Tank?

My Warrior is about to hit 80, and I am starting to notice something that is a bit disheartening....

a) There is no problems at all getting in a Heroic Instance as a Tank.

b) There seems to be 0 demand for a Tank in a Guild Raid.

And it is even worse as a warrior, apparently. If I am aiming for endgame progression raiding... did I make an error deciding to tank and picking a warrior to do it?

It seems like that unless you have already been picked up in an established raiding guild, your chances of getting into the Tank rotation in a Guild is slim to none. You either respec DPS or run Heroics/PUGs for the rest of your days.

Most raiding guilds recruit interally for tanks, like if an MT were to leave, an OT or alt would take his place. The few recruitment ads I've seen have been for OTs too, never an MT position, so unless you want to start by OTing trash for a guild or join a newly created guild, there's not much choice.

Since all raid bosses need only 2-3 tanks (some even require as low as one), and it's better to have all your tanks be different classes, you can safely say that there's pretty much room for only 1 or 2 100% prot warriors per guild unless it's overrecruiting.

But don't give up if tanking is what you like best. Have a look at the guild recruitment forums on the official boards. That's where most of the recruitment ads usually are. There's also recruitment boards on mmo-champion.com Having a dps dual spec will probably increase your chances, for the times the boss doesn't need an OT.

Good reply TY

And I should have mentioned I have no qualms OTing at all. If anything, it gives me the opportunity to observe a MT. How they pull, note any reasons for a wipe, marking,etc and I still have the chance to eventually obtain some gear after the MT is geared up.

I didn't mean to come off as if I was demanding a MT spot right out of the gate I fully intend to put the effort/work in as a prot war OT in a guild. I was just a bit concerned with the lack of prot war ads I was seeing. Quite a few tank roles advertised, but they are all specific for DK/Pal/Feral.

seeing you only need 3 tanks in a 25man, and tanks seem to be the most reliable members in the raid, also guilds seem to replace tanks with their existing dps, if a tank leaves..I'm not sure abotu other guilds, but in my guild tank turnover rate is extremely low, we havent' had any need of new tanks in a year, except for a back up, but then we just get a dps with dual spec tank to do it now.

If you like tanking you should stay tank, i've seen a lot of people burn out becuase they are playign the spec they dont' enjoy.

With all tanks are suppoesd to be equal and able to tank all bosses now, warrior tanks aren't that sought after as in pre wotlk, with DK being OP atm, it also means that guilds will prefer a DK tank (they are getting nerfed next patch though)

with dual spec, i think a lot of guild will be recruiting dps and asking them to OT occassionaly or vice versa

but yeah, on my server there's also no guild lf tanks :/

Don't be discouraged. It simply may take you awhile to find a good guild
    fit.

Most guilds, particularly regular raiding guilds have their main tank corps
    set. I'd look to the more casual raiding guilds first, work your way as an
    off tank and DPS, and then fit in as your tanks rotate around.

I know we rotate tanks on various bosses to get all our tanks experience,
    but I believe that more progression-based guilds tend to use the same tanks
    so that they can speed thru farm content quickly, and spend more time
    on progression content.

Finally as you gear up a bit, don't be afraid of trying some PuG stuff. Getting
    a good reputation as a pug tank, and developing your friends list (particularly
    with good dpsers or healers) is HUGE.

Also, I'd advise ignoring most forum QQ. Most of the large differences in
    tanking show up at the highest levels of content, areas where many
    people won't go, or won't get to soon. Work on your craft and work to
    improve and develop your tanking instincts, particularly when and how
    to use cooldowns. Understand your spec, alternate specs, and ideas behind
    gearing.

Good luck and happy tanking.

Good luck, and happy tanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Uslock View Post
    My Warrior is about to hit 80, and I am starting to notice something that is a bit disheartening....

b) There seems to be 0 demand for a Tank in a Guild Raid.
    We're missing a lot of the information around this entire dilemma of yours.

1) You just hit 80, is this your first toon?
    2) Are you already in a guild?
    3) Is your gear ready for raiding?
    4) Do you have ventrilo? Do you speak on it?

Overall, you have to keep in mind that tanks are in many ways the most trusted position in a raid. You'll likely need to be able to lead a raid in some way, shape or form eventually. Also keep in mind that it's difficult to walk into an established raiding guild as any role or class.

My advice would be to being very aggressive with upgrading your gear in the short term. This means crafting even minor upgrades. Enchanting even blue pieces with the best enchants. Always using the highest quality gems. Once you've done all that, start trying to pug. Pugs are the best place to get noticed and a lot of times word of mouth is what gets you into a guild as a tank. (It's b/c you've already got the trust of part of the guild)

Good luck and give us more info!

Quote Originally Posted by shez View Post
    If you like tanking you should stay tank, i've seen a lot of people burn out becuase they are playign the spec they dont' enjoy.
    Thats what I am afraid of Doing DPS, topping the meters etc, doesn't interest me really.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    1) You just hit 80, is this your first toon?
    2) Are you already in a guild?
    3) Is your gear ready for raiding?
    4) Do you have ventrilo? Do you speak on it?
    1) It was the first toon I rolled back in 2007 when I started playing. Leveled to about 40. Had to stop because of lack of internet where I moved. Started in 2008, had to stop because of finishing college. I started up now after finding a great job/career path, settling in for about 6 months now.. so I can spend much more time doing things I enjoy (i.e., WoW.) Instead of quitting everything and playing WoW, I quit WoW and finished school and found a great job So now I can feed my WoW habit lol.

2) I am in a casual/small guild with a few people I met over time. They do 10 man Uld right now. Not much of a raiding future there I sense.

3) Not at all. I am soon to hit 80 I have a few gear guides researched, ideas, etc. Plenty to do to gear up.

4) Absolutely. I have no qualms whatsoever getting on Vent, chatting, etc.

I just don't want to spend the time gearing up, investing the time, etc in a class/role that I more than likely will not get to fill. I enjoy tanking, it's what I have done successfully in other MMO's pre-WoW. I just fear I am a bit LTTP.

But it looks I may have to just settle for DPS spec and hope to get the call one day as a tank lol.

Oh and great advice for PUGs. I didn't even think of that, and reading through alot of recruiting tips.. thats where alot of Guilds do look for people. If they are pugging a tank, obviously they are in need of one As you said, networking goes a long way

Networking is a really good tool. Being an active tank for heroics will get you into a guild, particularly when 3.2 hits and EVERYONE will be doing heroics, constantly.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    Networking is a really good tool. Being an active tank for heroics will get you into a guild, particularly when 3.2 hits and EVERYONE will be doing heroics, constantly.
    Good point as well So I will suck it up and try to PUG my way into a raiding Guild as a tank Thanks for the great info guys, soon to ding 80. Then moving on to grab gear asap to start Naxx pugs

Back in BC. I was in a guild as a healer and I would respec to tank between raid nights and run 5 mans and kara. Then when ZA came out I started leading bear runs as a tank. Pretty soon the guild had confidence in me as a tank and a healer. When they needed a tank for a particular night because they were short, they asked me to go respec to prot and tank for the guild.

I let them know that I am willing to do what the guild needs, but my preference is being a tank. They appreciated my attitude and my willingness to lead 10 mans. When a tank spot opened up I was moved into it. Now I am the raid leader, because our last guy got a new job and couldn't raid anymore.

I would be willing to bet that most tanks follow a similar path. In times of dire need guilds will recruit tanks, but mostly tanks are found from within. Usually they are dedicated players to the guild who can be trusted.
    The only thing better than being able to tank, is realizing that you no longer need to prove that you can.

Any guild that is having success by definition already has tanks, so it's pretty hard to recruit into a successful guild as a tank (or at least *just* as a tank). If you're a class they don't have and want to round out the roster (for example, my guild doesn't have a DK tank and would like one) you can sometimes get in that way.

Other than that, your best bets are guilds that are just starting up, are looking to expand a raiding schedule but don't have the tank attendance for it, or 10 man guilds that are looking to recruit up to two raid teams and/or 25s.

I got into my guild by being noticed in instances. One of the officers was on his alt as a healer. He spoke normally, acted like a friendly normal person, was mature and sensible so i started asking about his guild. They sounded foreign but all spoke english in guild chat and on vent. They were mature players who had just started pushing their raiding content a few months back. I turned 80 at the begining of June to give you an idea of time frames. I am now signed up to tank a naxx 10 run ( but will probs dip out to improve my gear a bit). The MT druid there is happy to move over and dps for a night to help me improve my tanking and has already helped me by explaining tactics and stuff.

Guilds look for players with good skill in PuG's and recruit the decent players there. My guild always favours personality and skill over gear and knowledge. Gear and knowledge can be gained in time. Personality and skill are what you should start with.

I just don't want to spend the time gearing up, investing the time, etc in a class/role that I more than likely will not get to fill.
    It's unrealistic to expect a guild to invest the time into you if you aren't will to invest the time into yourself. There's really no class/spec that's going to get handed a raid spot without trying. Effort is pretty much the only thing that established raid guilds care about because the gear part is easy to change whereas the attitude isn't.

Very true Veneretio. Combined with the fact that there are so few tank spots in raids, competition is higher for those spots. I wish I could enforce the same requirements I get from my tanks on the entire raid, but the fact remains it is easier to be average as a dps and not be a problem than to be average as a tank.
    The only thing better than being able to tank, is realizing that you no longer need to prove that you can.

Quote Originally Posted by veneretio View Post
    It's unrealistic to expect a guild to invest the time into you if you aren't will to invest the time into yourself. There's really no class/spec that's going to get handed a raid spot without trying. Effort is pretty much the only thing that established raid guilds care about because the gear part is easy to change whereas the attitude isn't.
    I have no problem putting in the effort and time to grind out gear, pug for naxx gear, etc. None whatsoever. I am simply voicing my concern over wasting my time chasing a specific role that I more than likely will not be able to fill.

The more research I do, the more I am finding:

A) PUG alot. Network.

B) More than likely, will have to play primarily as DPS and try to fill in for OT or something with a Prot offspec.

It's going to be very difficult. Melee DPS is the most coveted slot and least useful variety of DPS to bring on a raid. Warrior tanks haven't got versatility for anything else and I don't see raids bringing in more than 2 Warriors anymore (one fury or arms and one prot). An established raid that brings more than that are bringing those guys because they like them and have known them forever and don't want to make them reroll because of it.

You're talking about decreasing raid slots available for a Prot Warrior to fill combined with massive competition for the 6 or so melee DPS spots you could be with your offspec. Tough road to travel.

I will give you a small ray of hope. I have been the MT/sometimes RL for my guild for a few years now though at the beginning I was an OT. A Warrior put up an application for a Prot Warrior slot for our guild and he reads Tankspot. I brought him along on some raids, made him tank for me while I did RL as Fury, gave the GM/Officers feedback that he was "competent, not exceptional but possibly trainable" and said I would like to groom him to replace me in that spot and I would reroll as a healer/ranged DPS. One caveat is that I instructed him on no uncertain terms I would have to scrub him if he couldn't also do strong DPS in his off spec. I use the term MT above loosely, generally that means I am the Tank Lead not that I tank every fight. All of my tanks must be able to DPS or heal competently or I keep looking. I don't expect top 5 but they can't be behind the pack either.

So there it is. It's possible but a low probablity. You're going to need to be able to do strong damage when you aren't tanking. If you miss too many raids they will start to think about replacing you as well.

Aside: You should be trying to top the damage meters while tanking just because 3k DPS scares the bottom of the pack DPS guys and there's no reason to just hang out when you could be helping the team win faster. If you ever were able to be top damage as the tank it will make you die inside though lol.
    Last edited by minrog; 06-24-2009 at 03:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Widdox View Post
    I wish I could enforce the same requirements I get from my tanks on the entire raid, but the fact remains it is easier to be average as a dps and not be a problem than to be average as a tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by minrog View Post
    Aside: You should be trying to top the damage meters while tanking just because 3k DPS scares the bottom of the pack DPS guys and there's no reason to just hang out when you could be helping the team win faster. If you ever were able to be top damage as the tank it will make you die inside though lol.
    Minrog's thought is Widdox's solution. I personally strive to bump up my DPS, and I'm creeping up on the lower DPS folks. While it's not always merely about numbers, it's awkward to have to explain how tanks are closing the gap. The bonus is that the extra DPS I'm cranking out does reduce the difficulties in fights, by shortening encounters slightly, which is a Good Thing (tm).

Quote Originally Posted by Widdox View Post
    Very true Veneretio. Combined with the fact that there are so few tank spots in raids, competition is higher for those spots. I wish I could enforce the same requirements I get from my tanks on the entire raid, but the fact remains it is easier to be average as a dps and not be a problem than to be average as a tank.
    You won't get too far in Ulduar if your dps has that mentality. Most of the fights have a dps race element with an enrage timer, and pretty much all the hard modes are more about dps than tanking or healing Vanilla called for geared up tanks to carry the raid while bringing in more healers could save the raid in TBC, but so far in Ulduar, stacking up the dps seems the way to go.

I have no problem putting in the effort and time to grind out gear, pug for naxx gear, etc. None whatsoever. I am simply voicing my concern over wasting my time chasing a specific role that I more than likely will not be able to fill.

The more research I do, the more I am finding:

A) PUG alot. Network.

B) More than likely, will have to play primarily as DPS and try to fill in for OT or something with a Prot offspec.
    I think a lot depends on what your expectations are for a potential guild you want to be in.

If you want to be in even what I'd call a medium class raid guild that's right now clearing a good bit of Ulduar. and being on the tops of the progression charts. Then yes it's going to be a tough road to hoe.

But if you actually do enjoy tanking as much as you think you do, there are lots of guilds out there that are slightly behind in the progression model that are always looking for a good dedicated tank.

I'll use my guild as an example. We're small, casual and I'm not affraid to admit a good number of high end raiders would call us "terribads". We're currently 6/14 into U10. Recently we had a raider who started out as a hunter, but wanted to become more involved. So he rolled a warrior, leveled it fast , and showed an interest in becoming a tank. Our officers and tanking team took him under our wing and he's become a good tank in a short period of time and is now a member of our tanking team.

So if you really love tanking, stick with it. you'll eventually find the home that suits you. Getting to certain levels will just require more work and patience than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    You won't get too far in Ulduar if your dps has that mentality. Most of the fights have a dps race element with an enrage timer, and pretty much all the hard modes are more about dps than tanking or healing Vanilla called for geared up tanks to carry the raid while bringing in more healers could save the raid in TBC, but so far in Ulduar, stacking up the dps seems the way to go.
    I'm not saying that my DPS doesnt strive for high dps. I'm saying that a player that sucks at quick taunts, or picking up that add that is about to kill your healer. Can be very effective at DPSing. Im not saying they aren't situationally aware, but some people can go through their rotation, stay out of fires etc, and do a very good job. And still suck at tanking.

When I dps I constantly think to myself, wow this game is soo much easier when not tanking, because I get to ignore a lot of the abilities of fights. When I have to move out of a void zone, I don't have to concentrate on not turning my back to the boss kicking my ass, and/or dragging him to the wrong part of the room. There is just a lot more going on tanking than when I DPS.

+ Reply to Thread