+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shaman tanking?

Shaman tanking?

so i was thinking, what about a shammy tank?
    and now i no most of you are going to say theres no way possible.
    but this isn't for 25 ToC or anything... what if a shmman got some of the best def gear with out gear classification (rings, back, neck)
    and took pvp gear for health/resilience, for crit avoidence.
    now i no from my 80 mage, that in pvp gear i am uncrittable by raid bosses. although i dont raid in pvp gear, its cool noing it is done from resilience alone. Im thinking that maybe a shamman could tank 10 naxx, if they had gear from dpsing higher raids, such as ulduar.

so im thinking you could frostshock spam for threat, and use stormstrike when its not on CD. shamanistic rage and stone claw totem for "oh shit" CDs. if threat is an issue, missdirects and tricks of the trade could always be used.

i made a spec and it looks like it may work, but like i said, this wouldnt be for the best of the best raids
    before you post about spec look at it!
    Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

anyways, if you have any thoughts as to why or whynot it would or wouldnt work, leave a comment.
    Last edited by tmweb95; 08-27-2009 at 09:49 PM.

No.

Mail is why it wouldn't work.

And no avoidance.

And no threat.

The talent that allows them to parry also is a 30% threat reduction across the board.

So no. No shaman tanking.

Sharicasmi is leading the way for shammy tank, he has a little bit of a botched elemental / pvp enhancment spec that apprently works fairly well. I think the only real issue with shammy tanking is that we can only spam frost shock so much. With a hunter or rogue I don't see no reason why not though.

It's easy to just throw down a quick omg no u noob, but if you accept that you will probally never tank anything outside of a 5 man and understand that while the basics of tank tools are there, they are not refined at all. It's gonna be an uphill fight, but its been proven to work a handful of times.

yeah, i was thinking 10 mans at max, and thats still if you a geared out with the best gear possible... but i mean why not?
    id like to see a shammy tank in a raid, even if its 10 man naxx, i think it will be awesome.

when i see all the talents like anticipation and toghness, i cant help but think that blizz kinda wants a shammy tank...

Shamans have three really distinct roles. Enhancement is melee DPS. Elemental is ranged DPS. Restoration is healing. Once upon a time there was a potential tanking role for shamans as well, but we have pretty much phased that out.
    source WoW -> Under Development -> Shaman Q&A

It would be good fun to have a shaman tanking, shame they did phase that out.

I used to be an offtank as an Orc Shaman when we used to raid (yes, raid) UBRS back at 60.
    We even had a +defence talent I think.

It was +block...and we had 2% more dodge in talents.

I tanked some on my shaman...it was never good and it's even worse now.

It's at best a silly gimmick and at worst a waste of everyone's gold.

you no, now that i think about it, there a quite a few shammy tanks out there...
    i youtubed "shamman tank" and got loads of videos -- must of which are even level 80s.
    its pretty cool seeing a shammy tank mally, or all of 10 naxx

I'm curious how do they hold threat against high DPSers? Or do they explicitly ask DPS to watch threat?

There's a shaman on my server who tanks (opposing faction so I can't talk to him), I see him running around with tank shield and mace. He has Starcaller title so I assume he knows what he's doing.
    The thought of healing a shaman tank makes me cringe though.

Jaydee, they hold threat mainly by spamming frost shock, although if hunters or rogues are in the raid, tricks of the trade and miss direct could help alot.
    when i was talking to a friend, we actualy came up with threat as the biggest issue, not that it was avoidence, health, or armor... there only high threat move is frost shock.

Haha that would be something to see, but I could see where you would only want to do the little stuff. The loss of threat value on some of the dps races to kill a boss before timer could be an issue and dang it we have enough tanks to compete with as it is now!!! I am going to have to check out the videos, I remember leveling a shaman way back in the day and tanking some of the instances as leveling but I never made it all the way to 60 anyways.

It used to be moderately doable in BC (lord help me I was one of them), but it's gotten significantly harder in WotLK. The main problem being that since blizzard rethought what roles classes play and specifically did not include tanking among the roles they planned for shaman, many of their changes have unintentionally moved talents into positions where getting everything you need to tank isn't possible.

The biggest single issue is that shaman's parry talent (Spirit Weapons) is also their threat reduction talent. So right off the bat you're forced to choose between a major source of mitigation and any hope of holding aggro.

That's not to say it's not possible to tank stuff as a shaman, but it's in the same category as ironmaning content with half a raid or something like that. If you enjoy the challenge more power to you, but it's purely making things harder for yourself for the hell of it.

Theres a video of a shaman tanking ignis 10 man on youtube.
    Doable? yes.
    Advisable? no

They squishied Shaman tanking, once upon a time I liked it, but they made it rather harder to do.

Like Ion said, there are several things working against you now:

1.) Mail means even with a shield you will be way low on armor and you'll take some hard hits.

2.) Avoidance. Spirit Weapons that gives you parry also reduces threat, and now on everything not just physical hits. You don't get great dodge from agility any more. Grabbing pvp gear will help you hit uncrittable and boost your health but it will not help your avoidance at all.

3.) Threat. If you avoid the threat reduction and get hit more, you'll get decent threat and Frost shock is fun (Elemental Shock spec can get you a lot more Frost Shocks on a 2 sec CD, but it will also mean your avoidance goes away since you can't dodge while casting). Against any real test you will not hold threat.

If you want to do it, do it and have fun, though be sure to bring your friends who will back you up, keep you alive, and not pull threat off of you carelessly.

Anything is possible. You won't see it tanking anything at the current progression cap, and if anyone manages to tank half the stuff in Ulduar I want to see video, because that is awesome!

(On a side note, there are other fun, non-traditional tanks that haven't gotten quite as sat on as Shamans did)
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

It's certainly possible to "tank" some five mans and maybe even a few bosses in ten mans. However, it's kind of like driving a nail with a screwdriver. Sure it can be done with enough effort, but why go through the trouble when you have a perfectly good hammer?

Here is the biggest problem with Sham tanks:

Mail gear (even PvP) means less armor than most tanks. Therefor you need a shield. But by wearing a shield you lose a lot of possible threat (from damage). The best way to mitigate this besides spamming Frost Shock is drop Spirit Weapons. But by doing so, you lose just as much damage mitigation you tried to gain at the start, nullifying the entire operation, at the cost of a bit of damage from shocks.

Surely, it is possible for an Enhancement Shaman with enough PvP and tank gear to tank heroics and 10-mans, especially because of the block niche there currently exists, but I believe the only bosses you can ever tank in a decent manner as an Enhancement Shaman would be simply putting on PvP gear and nuking the tera-crap out of a boss with almost all magical damage (such as Gothik). This will reduce the need for armor, and with enough stamina and dmg reduction from gear/talents, be a pretty good alternative for a 'real' tank. But because of this limitation you can never ever hope to be a worthy tank in a real raiding situation your healers are not 100% geared and prepared for, so I don't see the point wasting time & gear on it unless you really hate levelling alts :P

i look at it like this, drop spirit weapons, so you can hold agro, and of course use a shield. but then your missing parry of course.
    but a shamman tank without spirit weps. is only 13% under average tank medigation.
    thats the same as a death knight tank without a shield, is it not?
    thats why i think its possible, also with frost shock at a 4 second cooldown (specced), agro shouldnt be as big a problem as everyone always says.

the only real problem is mail, but i dont see it as a show stopper, just becuase your getting hit a tad higher. good heals should be able to heal through it, and can heal through it if you watch the videos of shamman tanking.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    If a rogue could tank BT at level 70 why can't a shaman tank?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

The biggest argument against adding a shaman, or any other class, as a tank is the problems they are having getting the current four balanced.
    Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

+ Reply to Thread