+ Reply to Thread

Thread: For the Pally tanks out there....

For the Pally tanks out there....

I am a DK tank and there is a pally tank who runs with my guild in 25s. This pally tank consistently taunts thus stealing aggro. Im not saying he does this only in situations where no1 has picked up a mob yet and one of the tanks gets it and then he taunts, wherein it could be he just wasnt sure someone had picked it up. Even when they are marked to go to a certain tank if his target goes down and he moves to another one he will taunt it off the tank it is on. Quite a few people have tried to talk to him about it but he keeps saying that the taunt is part of his rotation and there is nothing he can do about it. Is this legit? And even if it is can he not simply take it out of his rotation when its not his mob? Or is it something that is required to use other abilities later in the standard pally tank rotations? Thx 4 the help in advance.

Sounds like someone in my guild :P who is a warrior tank. No it is not part of their rotation. It is just part of his and he doesn't want to change it.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

I've seen it and its a not uncommon misperception among new tanks (or ones that don't try to figure out theorycrafting). Usually they do it as the first or second move in their initial rotation thinking that it helps build aggro. Ultimately (as you probably know) if you are already top on the aggro meter it does nothing for you at all except waste a GCD. Particularly post 3.1 with taunt now on diminishing returns it is actively dangerous to make it part of your rotation because if someone does steal aggro, you may not be able to taunt the mob back.

Put differently, the answer isn't 'don't use taunt in your rotation' its "there's nfw taunt should be in your rotation".
    If you aren't higher than me in total damage done or total healing done, all comments will be /ignore'd

This is what I always assumed. Like you said taunts dont generate threat themselves it just jumps you to the top so to me its pointless to be in your rotation. The only reason I thought it might be possible was if the ability that taunts for pallys also had some other effects that increased damage or damage resistance or something of that sort, but now that I have a forum thread on tank spot backing me up I can call him out on it tonight and link this thread as proof. All the tanks (except this particular pally) in my 25s group thanks you guys for your help.

Some prot pallies have tied Hand of Reckoning, the single target taunt, into their rotation because it's off the GCD and doesn't mess with the 969. Why you may ask, for the pathetic 100-200 holy damage (less than one consecration tick) that it does. It's a poor practice for a number of reasons, like the DRs on taunt that headknocker mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Akeber View Post
    Some prot pallies have tied Hand of Reckoning, the single target taunt, into their rotation because it's off the GCD and doesn't mess with the 969. Why you may ask, for the pathetic 100-200 holy damage (less than one consecration tick) that it does. It's a poor practice for a number of reasons, like the DRs on taunt that headknocker mentioned.
    Unfortunately with the change in 3.2, this problem is only going to get worse:

Hand of Reckoning: Redesigned. Now does damage only when the target does not currently have the caster targeted, but damage done increased to 50% of attack power, occurring after the taunt effect is applied.

This is still no reason to put it into your rotation if it's not your mob to tank, but the counter to the "pathetic damage" line just got a buff.

/sigh

It's nothing to do with being a pally seen all tank classes do it ... called ego .... LOOK AT ME .... NO LOOK AT ME

If the guild doesn't like it ... easy way to fix it get the healers to stop healing him after his mob dies. He really doesn't have a choice then .. bet he learns after a couple of deaths.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatheya View Post
    This is still no reason to put it into your rotation if it's not your mob to tank, but the counter to the "pathetic damage" line just got a buff.

/sigh
    Yeah I read that too. I really find it amusing that most pallies that are doing this also don't feel the need to do a proper 969 rotation.

How good is your relationship with your healers, when he does, maybe they can happen to be on the "wrong" target. A couple or three times doing it without heals will encourage him to remove it from his roatation.

I've found a simple but effective method of stopping your fellow tanks from continuously taunting mobs off from you unnecessarily is to simply say in voice chat in the middle of the raid after they've done it a couple times. Most people know it's rude and don't want to look bad and will stop, for pallies sometimes it's hard you and the other tank both taunt something that gets lose on a pull, I simply apologize when i taunt something that split second slower than the other guy.

Of course there are the people who never learn and keep taunting, these are the people you probably don't want in your raid. Any player who has that much of an ego is probably not healthy for your raid in the long run.

*EDIT*
    As mentioned above this isn't just a pally problem although Righteous Defense can make the problem more exaggerated because it taunts multiple mobs.
    Last edited by Diridin; 06-19-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karatheya View Post
    Unfortunately with the change in 3.2, this problem is only going to get worse:

Hand of Reckoning: Redesigned. Now does damage only when the target does not currently have the caster targeted, but damage done increased to 50% of attack power, occurring after the taunt effect is applied.

/sigh
    Now does damage only when the target does not currently have the caster targeted.

This is the important bit. They made this change specifically so people would stop doing what you're talking about.

One note though, are you certain its a taunt? I know I've ripped threat off someone before without really trying, especially when pugging raids, and have been accused of taunting, but havent been.

If it is a taunt, and he is insisting he needs to use Hand of Reckoning in his normal rotation then he is doing it wrong, and needs to learn the actual rotation. Normal rotation involves Shield of Righteousness, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement, Holy Shield and Consecrate; and none of those have a taunt component in them.

That actually only makes it useful when they're doing what he's talking about :P
    Follow me on Twitter | Facebook | Google+

+ Reply to Thread