+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the heck is proprioception??

What is the heck is proprioception??

So, someone mentioned about keybinding before and it got me in a thoughtful mood for the last few weeks. I'm not sure if this will be helpful to people, but I've long understood it to be a very pivotal part of what can make or break a "great" player. I mean, on one hand what is required to be very good at your class/spec in the game?

1.) Class knowledge? Of course. You need to know your spells, know how to play them together, know when to use what and how to build combos, etc.

2.) Smart gear and spec? Of course. Knowing what stats will benefit you best, what mechanics to play up (haste gets more casts between crucial combos? crits improve damage AND efficiency? using your trinkets on CD or at the right time with other abilities?), and filling gems slots, socket bonuses, and enchants to best effect. And of course your talent choices can make a big difference, especially today with the trees that have room for more than one smart spec.

3.) Hard work? Better believe it. At the end of the day a hard-working tank (or healer or dps) will outperform a slightly better geared but lazier tank, no one will argue that.

But most of what we pay attention to is in the game. We talk about gear, and spec, and rotations or priorities. We even talk about the more ellusive elements of positioning, communication, and collaboration. But we rarely look at the player/character interface (we *start* to touch on this with UI design). UI makes a difference, for sure, but there is a whole forum for discussing that so I will try to avoid harping on that too much in this discussion.

So what am I talking about? Well, in a word, proprioception (go ahead, wikipedia it, I'll wait).

A long time ago I started studying the subject when I found an interesting study where they examined tool usage in humans and other primates. The idea is simple. There are levels on which we interact with our environment, and tool usage is an interesting way to think about it. We use tools as an extension of our physical body to accomplish something that we cannot or is very physically challenging. A very simple example is a wrench. If you were to try and turn the bolt with your fingers, you're ill-suited to do it because you cannot generate the required torque efficiently. We use a wrench to lengthen the distance between our application of force and the bolt we're turning. So, using that tool there are levels, I mentioned. We're accustomed to using our hands and doing so doesn't require intellectual consideration or direction, we simply move our hands in the way we want.

Using the wrench, to someone who hasn't used a wrench, requires a sequence of intellectual considerations. First the user sizes up the wrench, the brain decyphers what is the handle, the part you grab, and what is the business end. You pick up the wrench and instinctually find the balance point, the ideal location on the grip to use the tool most effectively. You figure out how the wrench fits the bolt, maybe with some re-adjusting to be able to grab the handle the way you want, then you test the force to see how easily it moves. All of this is you interacting with the tool, interacting with the bolt. There is an extra level of consideration and interaction as opposed to just manipulating something with your hand. But, anyone who's very familiar with using a wrench can tell you, when they use it, they are not thinking or figuring it out any more. When they pick up the wrench, they wield it as if it were just another appendage. What happened? That's what I want to talk about here.

This is where we need to understand proprioception. Proprioception is the sense you have of your body's position, your sense of personal space and orientation. It is the confluence of senses that allows you to touch your nose with your finger, even with your eyes closed, or while hanging upside down. When we use tools, at first the tools is something foreign, not part of our body or our personal space. As we become familiar with it we stop thinking about interacting with the tool, the tool is absorbed into our personal space while we're holding it, and we wield it as if it were an appendage. This only happens with time, familiarity, and a smartly designed tool. So, why does Satorri keep talking about tools? I think he's forgotten he's on a WoW-related forum, and NOT in the off-topic section! No no no, my friends, this is vitally important to bridging the gap from being a person playing a game to a person acting through an avatar in the game world. (ok, disregard the part where I talk to myself, it does kind of have a *crazy* vibe to it. >.>)

So how does this affect us in the game? This may be a challenge for some, but think back to when you FIRST started playing WoW. Or it may help to think about when you picked up a new game, or maybe played a console you hadn't in ages, or tried to play a game you loved on your PS3 but on a PC. Notice that when you try to start playing it, you are awkward. Maybe it's the controllers (mouse, keyboard, Belkan you lucky dog!), maybe it's the game interface (action buttons, etc), or maybe it's some combination of the two. At first you move very uncomfortably while you have to *think* about what button to press to make the character do what you want. If you're an avid gamer you usually have one portion of that process already under your belt. You rest your hand on the WASD keys and you can hit E without having to look or feel around, or you pick up your Xbox controller and you can hit Y without having to look or feel around, it's already become a part of your extended body.

So, how do we apply this to WoW specifically? Let's look at the intellectual and intuitive tools between you and your avatar:
    1.) Your hands (I'll assume you're very familiar with using these, but not everyone is, younger children, pubescent teenagers, people recovering from injuries, and aging players can all suffer things that make these changing tools that they need to re-learn how to use instinctively).

2.) Your game controllers, in this case your mouse and keyboard (some people are very familiar with these, avid gamers, people who work with computers, etc. Some people are not and this is a learning experience all its own).

3.) Your in-game character controls (WASD to move if you use those, action buttons, and other UI elements, conveniently arranged by Blizzard or personalized UI mods).

4.) Your keybindings (this could be a part of 3, but not everyone uses them and adopting them adds a level of abstraction to the use of action buttons).

Each of these is a tool-like element that is not naturally a part of your daily routine until it becomes such. I'm going to assume that using your hands, even if you have reason to be challenged in that, is a daily activity and you don't need my help with it. I won't touch on using a keyboard and mouse. It is a meaty subject but I'll assume that if you play WoW you have a computer and at least the aptitude to use it to get in-game, so you're probably a step above "what's a keyboard? heeyuck!" But the things I want to talk about are items 3 and 4, and it will actually still touch a bit on 2 because how can you not with keybinds?

Here are some questions to ask yourself:
    When you move around, do you just move your character where you want, or do you have to think about WASD and/or mouse clicks and movements? This is usually the first thing to become intuitive since everyone has to do it (all keyboard turning jokes aside). Note, here there are levels of technical aptitude. You can run and use the mouse to look around, good.

Can/do you strafe (hold down the mouse-look button and click the buttons that would normally turn you left or right to run sideways without changing the direction you're facing)? This is an important tank skill, but I won't go into that just now.

Can/do you exercise more complicated movements like a spin turn? (Run forward, jump, and rotate yourself in the air so you land facing a different direction) Another valuable tank skill, but this requires yet another level of skill and practice. This can also be used to fire moves at someone behind you while running (run, jump, quick spin and cast, then spin back and continue running as if you never looked away) without losing step.

Can/do you use your other moves/rotations while moving or doing more complicated procedures as above?

These should serve to illustrate your level of immersion between manipulating the game to manipulate your character and simply acting through your avatar as if it were your own body. That is, in fact, the level you can reach while playing the game, and that immersion is what makes a crucial difference between a decent player and a great one. You cannot achieve the same things when you have to think about what you're doing because it introduces player lag (think network latency if it helps, but in the human brain).

So, how do we become our avatar, and how do we enhance that connection? Well, the first thing, and the reason for the post, is to look at something you may very well have never thought about. When you start seeing the game in these terms, in recognizing how separate you are from your character, you can start narrowing the gap, and/or using this as a means to more intuitively build your UI (or realize why so many avid players HAVE custom UI's).

I'm going to trim the initial post here, but this is just an introduction, more additions will follow as I am able. Questions, comments, and insights are welcome and encouraged!
    The (Old) Book on Death Knight Tanking
    The New Testament on Death Knight Tanking
    -----------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Horacio View Post
    Who f-ing divided by zero?!?

The first place I want to go with this is to look at the basics of keybinding and how that plays into the topic.

Simple qualifying statement:
    If you click your abilities you are always one step more removed from connecting with your character because you will not click intuitively. That is not to say you cannot click abilities while doing this but you cannot click everything fast enough to rely on that alone.

We use keybinds to have a muscle memory tie, a quick short-cut to our abilities that allows us to do more than thing at once. You use a hand on the mouse, but for all its nice functionality, in WoW, the mouse can only be used as a single implement when you are clicking an action button. Your other hand, however, resting on the WASD home keys, has 5 implements that can act individually (though to use more than 1 at a time is skill development of its own).

As a simple example, I'll use my own fundamental DK keybinding base. I've been using it since the beta so all the keybinds are very deeply rooted. My key configurations always revolve around [middle finger = W][ring finger = A][index finger = D][pinky = control][thumb = spacebar]. Those are my home keys and I bind in orbits around those. My DK's then use Q for BS, E for IT, and F for PS. I use modifiers to add C-Q as Oblit/ScS, C-E as Death Grip, and C-F as Death Strike. 2 = Pestilence, 3 = Chains of Ice, C = DnD, and C-C = BB. V is always my aoe burst, so HB or CE. X is my primary RP ability so normally DC but it switches to FS for Frost. C-X changes with spec, for Unholy it's Bone Shield, for Frost it's DC, and for Blood it's Mark of Blood. I could go on an on, but the point is, these are so deeply rooted in my brain and muscle memory that I don't think of the move I want, hunt, peck, then cast, which is functionally the same as clicking (*think of move* => *look for move* => *click move*). I simply react to the situation. *I* DnD, IT, etc. I do not reach for my character's abilities. I don't mean to suggest that I alone do this, but instead want to highlight for the people who do this without even realizing (partly just because I think it's really friggin cool).

Now it's all well and good to point out to the people who do it that they do it, or to show this to people who still fumble around their character or feel like they just don't play well, but I want to explore just how this works, and try to shine some light on it for people to inspect and improve their game elements to better match their needs and personal preferences.

So, in order for our character to truly become our avatar, it requires a few conditions:
    1.) You need to play more than once in a blue moon. The more often you do it the more time your body has to learn its way into the physical act of playing. Muscle memory takes time to program and longer still to change. "Experts" suggest it takes on the order of a few months to create muscle memories that are deeply seeded and practiced, and it takes about 6-18 months to unlearn them or change them (crack your knuckles? Ever try to stop?).

2.) The ease and intuitive nature of the action will determine how quickly and how deeply they're learned. If you have to hit some obscure key combo or you try to do it in an awkward way (say control+C with your right hand), it'll take more learning for it to become instinctual. Interestingly this is what touch-typing is designed to do, give you a formulaic system of hitting all the buttons and forcing you to do it without looking so you rely more heavily on not looking at your hands.

3.) Consistant keybindings. If you change your keybindings, especially if you do it without logical/intuitive evolution, you'll continually be starting your body over again. Note, if you are just realizing you do this, and want to go about changing your setup to be more ergonomic, be prepared for a lot of mis-clicks/presses as you instinctively reach for the trained key.

I mentioned an important word in #3: ergonomic. For those not familiar, this is the physical act of arrangement to make things more easily or intuitively accessed. It is a topic near and dear to my heart as I see fellow engineers fail to intelligently design the aesthetic and functional elements of their products for the user. A great example, check out your TV remote, when you first got it, how intuitive were the button locations and appearences. Did you have to hunt for the <fill-in-the-blank> button for months?

Beyond simply learning to play by feel, to be your character's mind instead of an extra step or two removed, there is a great deal of value in setting yourself up so it is easy to do what you do. If you only use Shield Wall as a click, then when you need it most it'll take you a half-second to more than a second to trigger it, and in that time you could take the fatal hit. Alternately, if you use a challenging key combo to use a frequent ability, like say shift+7 to shield slam, you very well may destroy your hand trying to tank. I'm guessing that while people find their way into keybinds without too much thought or more likely without too much guiding theory, they don't do such awful things to their real world appendages. =)

So, you want to *be* the tank? Where do we start? Let's look at the important factors: key location, bound move frequency of use. Try answering the following questions:
    • What moves do I use most?
    • Which do I use least?
    • Which moves do I need fastest access to?
    • Which moves do I not use in the most severe situations?
    • How many moves do I actually use?
    • How many moves could I make better use of?
    If you use WASD (if you use ESDF you can add and shift which keys I'm talking about, if you made that move you're probably more conscientious about your keybinds) with your left hand's first 3 fingers, then the keys most easily reached are usually: Q, E, R, F, V, C, X, 2, 3, 1, 4, and the modifiers Ctrl and Shft. Additionally, Z, 5, T, G, and Alt are reasonable to reach if you have longer fingers. But, the easier keys listed make for 33 total keybinds using the easy modifiers. Rather than taking me at what I say, look at how you position your hand, and figure out which keys are most easily pressed for you. Identify the easiest keys, these will be what you want to use for your most commonly used spells. I'm a big proponent of binding everything, especially since I don't know anyone who uses much more than 33 abilities while playing a single character, even with items, macros, etc. If you have a multi-button mouse, I highly recommend using the buttons there smartly as well. Personally I have a ~4 button + wheel mouse (and the wheel tilts!!). I have one button bound for vent P2Talk, but the other is usually used for taunts and with modifiers for other quick-use spells (like AMS).

I can't help you much beyond that for setting up keybinds, nor do I want to. Like cookie cutter specs and canned rotations I think the less you learn and develop for yourself the weaker a player you become.

Once you have set bindings up in a comfortable fashion, now comes the long game. Your goal is simple: play WoW to your heart's delight! Hard right? The name of the game here is to hunt and peck less and pay more attention to the screen, to your character's physical location and surroundings. This is HUGELY important, and it becomes more and more clear why when you are actually able to watch people's characters as they play. The best tanks know when and where adds are at every moment. Someone calls out "adds incoming," but the tank is already there and has a threat lead built. This is also a key skill for all raiders in the school of "don't stand in the fire." If you're too busy staring at your action bars or your CDs (one of my biggest uses for mods in combat), you will be slow to dodge or move out of fires (how many people can go an entire Razorscale fight without taking a single tick from Devouring Flames?).

So here's the part that can't be rushed, only played. Over the next month or six, you'll grow increasingly accustomed to your keybindings and the moves associated while simultaneously learning your moves, your responses to situations, and clever combos or timings that work well for your class and role. I HIGHLY recommend that if you need to change or adjust bindings during this time (or add macros and replace stock spells) that you do it early, earlier the better.

Now, that's all well and good but we have an extensive community here and I'm willing to bet a great many of the people here have long-developped keybinds and likely are already deep in the proprioception. Here's a fun test to show you just how much your character is an extension of yourself. Go to a high ledge, say Aldor Rise in Shattrath. Now jump off, no slow fall or Pally bubbles allowed. Feel that little cringe, panic moment, in your chest. That little physical response is you feeling your character. Logically we can think, it's just a game, that's just a bunch of pixels, and even in the game when I die I'll just run back to my body none the worse for wear. But it still won't remove you from your bond, and I can't imagine why you'd need to break that bond. So, we know you are your character, is there anything we can do with that?

Well, this is where I want to start opening up channels to the community. When we ARE our character we can accomplish maneuvers that you can't think fast enough to do, I listed a couple fairly simple examples above. In fact, my girlfriend was always boggled by watching my hands when I tanked since I would be moving while simultaneously hitting 3-8 buttons for other moves (ahh warrior tanking is/was fun too), click targeting, strafing, and jump-spinning.

So, what fancy moves do you use, and where are you discovering this little extended set of senses comes into play for you?
    Last edited by Satorri; 06-16-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Satorri takes over the rank of Wall-O-Texter.. I resign to him and Hypatia..

O_o.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Satorri View Post
    As a simple example, I'll use my own fundamental DK keybinding base. I've been using it since the beta so all the keybinds are very deeply rooted. My key configurations always revolve around [middle finger = W][ring finger = A][index finger = D][pinky = control][thumb = spacebar]. Those are my home keys and I bind in orbits around those.
    I can relate to this as my middle=w, ring=A, index=D, pinky=shift, and thumb is right below the spacebar on the keyboard frame.

So I tried to go to a keybinding setup I switched all my movement and strafing buttons.

But then how do I turn my camera without a mouse? As far as I know there is no solution to do so.
    Last edited by Tarigar; 06-16-2009 at 12:31 PM.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

What do you mean?

Cuz he is not saying he doesn't move with wasd, he is saying that he keybinds around those keys, since those are easy to reach.
    [An00b'arak]: >8< spider power

I was referring to the location of my hands and where they lie on the keyboard.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Well then if you have your left hand on wasd key to move, you can use your mouse with your right hand since its free now

Unless you use both hands across the keyboard in which case there is a thread about keybinding where there are some pics about distributing your keybinds.

Great start! I can't wait to see where this goes. Kinda dissappointed it's not done yet. Get back to work kthxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by Samshel View Post
    Well then if you have your left hand on wasd key to move, you can use your mouse with your right hand since its free now

Unless you use both hands across the keyboard in which case there is a thread about keybinding where there are some pics about distributing your keybinds.
    Which is what I do now. and I also use the mouse to move the camera and look around etc. But I was trying to make my 10 key where all my movement is and take the mouse out of the picture. But the wow keybinds will not allow you to change your camera view without the mouse.

but for all its nice functionality, in WoW, the mouse can only be used as a single implement when you are clicking an action button. Your other hand, however, resting on the WASD home keys, has 5 implements that can act individually (though to use more than 1 at a time is skill development of its own).
    I have common in-game functions / class abilities bound to the various mouse buttons, so both hands are sharing as much of the load as is reasonable. For me, the mouse is very centric to streamlining my character controls.

As a simple example, I'll use my own fundamental DK keybinding base. I've been using it since the beta so all the keybinds are very deeply rooted. My key configurations always revolve around [middle finger = W][ring finger = A][index finger = D][pinky = control][thumb = spacebar]. Those are my home keys and I bind in orbits around those.
    To more closely associate your left hand's resting place with standard typing conventions on a US keyboard layout, you might want to try switching to ESDF rather than WASD. Your fingers rest on the same keys used for normal typing behavior.

From a game perspective, this also brings more keys into range of your left hand.

Of course for the purists out there using Dvorak layouts, you'll have to adjust accordingly.

Top notch article. Very much explains the 'muscle memory' concept to people who arn't familiar with it.

It's impossible to become a top notch tank if you have to actively think about your rotation and what you're doing. You need to be able to sit back and take the role of an observer, merely guiding your actions than doing them.

rep++;

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    Which is what I do now. and I also use the mouse to move the camera and look around etc. But I was trying to make my 10 key where all my movement is and take the mouse out of the picture. But the wow keybinds will not allow you to change your camera view without the mouse.
    In my opinion you can't erase mouse from the board, mouse is faster for controling the camera, strafing and turning, while still you use your keyboard for the basic movements.
    And for the keybinds, you can always use alt, control and shift keys as modifiers, that way Q becomes 4 keys: Q alone, alt-Q,control-Q and shift-Q.

ESDF ftw. I made the switch (takes lots of familiarity) and won't go back. Q A Z now become keys for important skills!
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Samshel View Post
    that way Q becomes 4 keys: Q alone, alt-Q,control-Q and shift-Q.
    Is there a lot of Q's in that statement or is it just me.

I did look at the keybinding guide and found value in it. I am going to probably print off a keyboard cheat sheet for myself over the next couple of days and see what I can do. I am not going to make any changes till after Thursday and I don't want to switch mid raid week.

Updated, there is a lot of meat in this topic, in time more will likely come falling out of my ears and land on the page.

Ewww meat falling out of my ears, clearly I need to take a break. >.>

/bow Kazeyonoma

You flatter me, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    ESDF ftw. I made the switch (takes lots of familiarity) and won't go back. Q A Z now become keys for important skills!

I know ESDF bring more key around it but it seem to me that it put alt at a bad place (under your hand) and shift and ctrl a bit far; with WASD (or ZQSD for me, AZERTY computer ^^) I got alt near my thumb (to be exact my thumb is between alt and space) and shift and control near my pinky.

How do you use these with ESDF? especially alt (ctrl and shift are reachable, just a bit far). If yu dont use them much then you are loosing more keybindings that what you gain.

Nice post btw Satorri; again ^^
    Last edited by Feanorr; 06-16-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Go to a high ledge, say Aldor Rise in Shattrath. Now jump off, no slow fall or Pally bubbles allowed. Feel that little cringe, panic moment, in your chest. That little physical response is you feeling your character.
    Glad I'm not the only one!

Very nice post! Makes me rethink the bindings of my main abilities. Changing them to the keys around my fingers, rather than the usual 1-5.
    Toblerone - Space Goat Warrior

Awesome article enjoyed it to the very last letter. Well apart from the stuff falling from your ears, but you're forgiven for that.

For me it was a conscious decision to try and make most of my movement mouse controlled. When moving from clicking to keybinding I had a very thorough look at the position of my left hand. As a guitar player I'm used to some stretches but I found the stretches really annoying to perform on a normal keyboard - where I didn't while playing guitar.
    Using the CTRL key as a modifier by pressing it with the fleshy part of my left hand came completely naturally - going there with my pinky, or reaching my pinky to the SHIFT key felt awkward and I felt myself needing to strain my hand to reach it. If you feel you need to strain; really don't go for binding your keys that way. On my keyboard I've tried to move ESDF but I've realized something like that could really only work by actually going out and getting myself an ergonomic keyboard. Which is somethign I might do in the future.

Also. I've been having that falling feeling in my tummy since jumping off the tower in Westfall at level 24 ish. *nods*
    My lack of proper signature actually is a proud minimalistic stand

Great article Satorri, very keen to see where it goes.

An interesting thing that I am finding is that I need to marry my Alts key bindings as close to my main as possible and in fact when my alts reached 80 I had to go through skill by skill and prioritize them based around my mains ability usages otherwise they just didn’t feel comfortable.

As an extension to this I am much more comfortable PvPing on my Main (Prot Pally) then I am on my Hunter or Rogue simply because I feel more in tune with the movement/reactions/ability use etc even though both my alts have more PvP gear and utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    Is there a lot of Q's in that statement or is it just me.

I did look at the keybinding guide and found value in it. I am going to probably print off a keyboard cheat sheet for myself over the next couple of days and see what I can do. I am not going to make any changes till after Thursday and I don't want to switch mid raid week.
    Hehe the Q statement was because its where my allmighty charge is, so it came to my mind first

Back to topic, yes just like this topic states and the keybinds topic does, keybinding is about practise and getting used to it, but I won't repeat what is already written by the OP of these threads, so good luck with your adaptation to the keybinding world

+ Reply to Thread