DK Naxx 10 OT/MT stats
Hi guys, I've been around playing WoW for almost all of the 4+ years, tanking, but as a paladin. Now, as a Death Knight, I want to try tanking as well. So far, I think I've geared fairly well, but I am wondering where I need to improve my stats before I can start doing Naxx (or vault). Also, any suggestions on improving my talents would be appreciated. Armory: The World of Warcraft Armory
A piece I'm already trying to replace is the helm with the tank one from H Gundrak
(I know frost presence can change these stats a fair amount, I'm going to update/edit this post when the servers come back up) But for now I think its around 26k health and 22-3k armor unbuffed...don't remember the other stats at the moment.
I'll really take most advice at the moment, since there are very few pieces of heroic gear I can still get, and I'm still tentative on which enchants to get
1. Farm the mats for a Titansteel Destroyer. Put the Gargoyle Rune on it. Dual-wield tanking is kinda meh, and you are not specc'd into it.
2. Macro Rune Strike into your major abilities. I don't do all of them, just the major ones.
3. Regem your gear for exp/stam. Just enough exp to cap you, then you can avoidance gem(dodge).
4. Enchant your stuff for stam. Your defense can drop some form the switch to the 2h with garg rune.
5. Work your Son's of Hodir, Kirin Tor and Argent Crusade reps. You will want Exalted for Sons and Kirin Tor and Revered for Argent Crusade. This will get you shoulder enchants, REALLY good tanking gloves and your head enchant, respectively.
6. Buy the badge dodge trinket. Get Glyph of Rune Strike and Glyph of Howling Blast. You do not need disease since frost only needs FF and Howling Blast has you covered, and tanking doesn't need Death Grip enough to justify the glyph.
7. Change your sigil to the sigil of awareness. Your bread and butter single target damage will be Obliterate, and this will enhance the damage/threat.
8. Go to Elitist Jerks and check out their tanking spec suggestions. I do not know frost specs that well but I'm sure you might find some places to change a point or two.
I could also offer some suggestions on your unholy DPS spec. I 'm unholy for both Tank and DPS
Awesome, thanks a ton
1. Awesome, that shouldn't be a problem since I can smelt the titansteel myself, and I already have the 2 frozen orbs just sitting in my bags doing nothing
2. Do you really need to macro RS? I just use it whenever it's up after a dodge/parry etc.
3. What is the expertise cap? I'll thottbot the gems. Edit: How are the gems on the belt/legs? Good enough?
4. Oh, good point, didn't see gargoyle as 25 defense, just kinda assumed the rating was there as well...wow, that's really good, good amount more health I can get then
5. On the comment of shoulders, do you think there's any other upgrade worth getting pre-raids?
6. Valor Medal of the First war (or something like that)? Mkay, just got enough badges for that yesterday
7. That's gonna be an issue :/ need 25 emblems of conquest...I do have two from a random VoA run that my friends dragged me on :P but...yeah
Will get right on all that once the servers come back up
Edit: Also, besides that one random VoA which was kinda a friend of a friend thing, I'm just in a guild with my school friends, and I'm one of the 2 (well, soon to be 3) 80's...so I don't really have anyone that would be willing to take me on a raid run just so I can get gear, probably some of my only raids for a while will have to be PuGs or partial PuGs with a guildie or two
Last edited by Archaetorrhi; 06-16-2009 at 10:05 AM.
I guess you don't necessarily HAVE to macro Rune Strike. I do it since it is not on a Global(will work on your next melee hit) and gives me one less button to press. With the constant button mashing, it's nice to elminate
Expertise cap is 26 iirc, and yeah gargoyle rune is outstanding since it is not rating and it gives another tank benefit. Just checked, 2% more stam woot
Your shoulders are ok. I think I was using those myself until I got my tanking shoulders off 10 man Patchwerk that I am still using today.
The sigil is valor, thankfully, not conquest. Might take you some time, but it will give you more benefit than the Unfaltering knight since you wouldn't cast icy touch and are capped defense anyway.
Awesome, thanks for all your help Jaeden
But why wouldn't I be using Icy touch? My normal starting rotation is: one of the taunts depending on type of pull, area etc.>IT>PS>pestilence if it's a multi-mob pull>rotate between obliterate/blood strike depending on what runes are up, and if the healer is having trouble I occasionally drop a death strike, then RS whenever it's up since I always keep a surplus of runic power just in case
You are welcome.
The reason is Glyph of Howling Blast. It causes your Icy Touch to apply Frost Fever.
You're fine for Naxx 10 OS, VoA right now (Emalon may be challanging).
I tend not to gem for expertise and go for strength or stam. A good amount of DK attacks are spells that can't be dodged or parried;
I would not take Acclimation or Virulence - I prefer using the points in DnD (I personally like/rely on DnD a lot; so I glyph for it also)
Hungering Cold is really a PvP talent, not really useful in raiding. Personally, I like Death Chill and Litchborne which are considered wasted points, but I like the self heal ability Litchborne gives me and I like being able to call a Crit when I want. I'd move the points to Merciless Combat and 2 Handed Wep Spec.
I agree about getting your rep up. Also, grind H HOL (first boss) to get the Iron Dwarf Pauldrons. Find a friendly BS and get a Tempered Titansteel Helm made.
Glyph of HB makes HB cause FF. Even though I have it, I usually pull the mob, drop DnD, then IT>PS>BS the runes go on cooldown... I use IT to proc my Sigil the extra defense goes to avoidance. Don't change out your Sigil.
For enchants; check yourself out on WoW Heroes - World of Warcraft PvE character info & ratings; you have most of the major ones. You need Frosthide Leg Armor.
The tank ring from H DTK is good to have as are the Bracers of the Herlald from H OK.
Here's my Armory (ignore the Defender's Code, I use Figurine Monarch Crab)
The World of Warcraft Armory
I admittedly do not know Frost as well as I could, but I disagree with you on expertise. Obliterate and your melee can be parry/dodge and obliterate is a big loss.
Since he's using HB, I'm not too worried about improving his DnD, however his spell hit will be helped by virulence, which quite a bit of his attacks are becoming.
Odd question, but is Frost Strike considered a spell? If so spell hit would be needed more for resist/miss.
I don't disagree on the Obliterate, but I had read somewhere that IT, FS, DC, HB and BB can't be dodged and parried; neither can RS which is great for threat (and damage). So, with Strength effecting Attack Power at 2 to 1 and Strength also assiting in avoidance; I buy into the argument that it is better to gem strength then expertise.
My preference is to use DnD more than HB on AoE pulls (in fact any pulls), it's just what I'm used and have gotten comfortable with. Although if I'm tanking the adds in Emalon, I'll drop DnD, then hit them with HB as I pull them to the side - just to make sure they're really, really, mad.
I find one of the keys to tanking is finding your comfort zone i.e. what works for you and what your used to. You really need to experiment in your spec.
Fair enough, but unless the ability says it can't be, i don't buy it :P
PS, BS, SS, etc are melee attacks.
Awesome, well, I just did my first naxx today, got a Hero's Scourgebane Pauldrons out of one of the buying drops from a boss, also bought a titansteel helm and gemmed it so I'm up to 28.1k health