+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Frost TANK DK 2h Spec

Frost TANK DK 2h Spec

Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

I just made this spec up, I'd like to hear some feedback about your thoughts and suggestions. \

good luck with tps not having killing machine. also why spec down the left side into icy and imp icy talons? are there no dps providing the haste buff for your raid?(furthermore the personal haste from it... not exactly something you want to look for as a tank)

Thanks I'm actually going to prob change it so I get killing machine

2H Frost Tank

I run a frost DK and use a 2H weapon. You end up relying on your Howling Blast, Blood Boil and Death & Decay. DK's are an AOE tank so it takes about 3-5 seconds to gain the aggro to the point where you can hold it for the duration. The Icy Touch part of the frost tree is nice since you now have to spend 51 talent points to get to the Howling Blast. During your encounters if you spam the Howling Blast, Blood Boil and Death & Decay, you will hold aggro even if you have a mage throwing out 10K fireballs. I have tanked with this spec since day one and it is awesome. If one does manage to get away use the Death Grip and then Dark Command and they will leave the other party memebers alone even if the Death Grip does not yank them back to you.

Yeah thats pretty much my strategy too I start off with Howling Blast and I have the glyph that makes it so howling blast infects everyone with frost fever then I plauge strike then i always have my blood runes on cooldown so i get the 5% damage reduction and then i just frost strike or obliterate if I have enough runes

My Frost tanking spec: Talent Calculator - World of Warcraft

Acclimation takes up 3 talent points that can be better used elsewhere.

Morbidity is a waste of three points for Frost. Of the three specs, frost is the only one that doesn't take this talent. Frost Strike is your rune dump, not Death Coil. Howling Blast and Blood Boil are more than enough to hold AoE threat, Death and Decay on a 15 second CD is not required. Proper use of KM procs with HB will destroy AoE threat.

Plague Strike is not even in my rotation, neither is Icy Touch. I use HB to get Frost Fever on the mob and don't bother with Blood Plague.

Basic rotation looks like this: HB-OB-BS-BS-FS-OB-OB. Try to prioritize FS when KM procs. HB whenever Rime procs. Collect loots.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

If you have an enh shammy in your raids, you might not want to get imp icy talons (and icy talons for that matter, haste is not that great for a DK). As said above, KM is a must, Morbidity is not good at all, Bladed armor is worth it, if you're glyphing for HB and using it as a part of your main rotation there's no need for epidemic, acclimation is good for high magical damage fights but that's kind of situational. Not sure if you actually ment to add the glyph of dark command, but it's benefit is very situational and probably not worth it at all.

Inaara's spec is a good one, I'd probably just remove one point from 2H spec or merciless combat for Unbreakable Armor. The strength component from Unbreakable Armor, coupled with a bit more mitigation, is pretty nice IMO.

Is Deathchill even viable for instant threat or is there no real use for it.

I was thinking the 100% crit guarantee would be nice.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Molohk View Post
    If you have an enh shammy in your raids, you might not want to get imp icy talons (and icy talons for that matter, haste is not that great for a DK). As said above, KM is a must, Morbidity is not good at all, Bladed armor is worth it, if you're glyphing for HB and using it as a part of your main rotation there's no need for epidemic, acclimation is good for high magical damage fights but that's kind of situational. Not sure if you actually ment to add the glyph of dark command, but it's benefit is very situational and probably not worth it at all.

Inaara's spec is a good one, I'd probably just remove one point from 2H spec or merciless combat for Unbreakable Armor. The strength component from Unbreakable Armor, coupled with a bit more mitigation, is pretty nice IMO.
    Thanks for catching it. I forgot to add that the 2 points in 2H spec can be taken out and put into UA and Deathchill. I'm just not a big fan of UA so I don't take it lol.

Agg's tanking guide

Deathchill is nice for burst, if you use Deathchill+HB for pulling a large pack, you got the best opener around. I personally thing the cooldown is too long, so I don't take it. And I agree with Inaara, 2H spec is really optional and bladed armor is generally regarded as a better option.

Since I play a warrior I take AttT in every spec as I consider it a must. I try to do the same with bladed armor on my dk as well but since I am still leveling there are too many things in unholy I wanted that I couldn't toss for the leveling mode.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    Is Deathchill even viable for instant threat or is there no real use for it.

I was thinking the 100% crit guarantee would be nice.
    As Molohk said, crit pulling AoE groups is nice. For a solo pull it is also usefull for a quick threat boost. HB-(DC)OB-BS-BS and you'll have a substantial threat lead.

Agg's tanking guide

Please get rid of Acclimation, it is useless. In the only fight were the resistance would come in handy is Hodir, but you are already wearing some FR gear there so I don't see the point of getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxas View Post
    A few comments:

1. Bladed Armor is a must. +5 additional AP for every 180 armor? Assume you have 25,000 armor in Frost Presence, which I currently do as a Heroics-geared Frost tank.

BA then boosts your AP by 25,000/180*5 = 694.44. That applies to all your strikes, spells, diseases, and white damage - from Frost Strike and Oblit, to DnD, Howling Blast, and BB, to autoattack, to Frost Fever (and Blood Plague if you use it, which I only bother with against bosses).

2. Drop the 1pt from Icy Talons. Icy Talons itself is not a great tanking talent, more a dps one, and a single point in that 5pt talent will do nothing for you.

3. Icy Reach is uneccesary. Usually when the tank pulls, the mobs stack on you anyway, and you don't need range to continually hit them with HB, BB, DnD (or Icy Touch if you use this). If a mob gets away, you'll likely use Dark Command or Death Grip to get it back, and Icy Reach has no affect on those.

4. If you glyph Howling Blast, you won't need Epidemic, since presumably you'll be spamming HB every time the 8s cd is up, or every time Rime procs. 15s Frost Fever is plenty of time for HB to refresh that disease.

Hence, move 2pts from Epidemic, 2pts from Icy Reach, and 1pt from Icy Talons into 5/5 Bladed Armor.

You can also move 1pt out of Killing Machine since that 5th point only marginally improves the proc rate. I put it in Lichborne for my Frost tank build, since there are a decent amount of bosses that fear in Heroics.

Finally, Acclimation. Everyone says to get rid of it. I had Scent of Blood for the extra 15 RP every 10s, which is just noticeable. But I was getting hit with so much spell damage in heroics (Nexus and Occ bosses), and threat was not a problem for me, that I moved those into Acclimation. Combined with a Lesser Flask of Resistance, Improved Frost Presence + Blade Barrier + AMS, my survivability in those situations has improved somewhat. I haven't run any combat log analysis yet to see exactly how much, but until I need longer diseases, more rp, or something else more than survivability, I'll keep it.

My build.

PS - as for Deathchill, I actually have a Howling Blast macro on my action bar that lets me cast DC+HB instantly, or just HB alone.
    #showtooltip [mod:shift] Howling Blast;[nomod] Deathchill
    /use [nomod] Deathchill
    /use [mod:shift] Howling Blast;[nomod] Howling Blast
    Starting a pull, I fire Shift+HB (without DC) first, b/c I want to get FF on the target. Without FF, your HB dmg is gimped - no Glacier Rot or Tundra Stalker.

Then, 8 seconds later, with FF now up, and throughout the rest of the fight, I fire the second macro, DC + HB, to maximize DC crits.

I find that starting a fight with DnD + HB + BB is enough frontloaded threat to hold aggro on a group of mobs, that I can afford to wait the 8s b/f firing off the crit DC+HB. The overall total threat gain doing it that way is greater, even if I don't frontload quite as much in the first rotation. Since DC has a 2m CD, it's worth it not to waste it on FF-less HB.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 06-16-2009 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexxas View Post

Sometimes I'm not even sure why I answer these posts.

Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Sometimes I'm not even sure why I answer these posts.
    Seems like all we do is increase our post count >.< /sigh

Seems like all we do is increase our post count >.< /sigh
    Pretty much. I think we can get at least 100 extra posts out of this thread so might as well start. How's your day going?

Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    Pretty much. I think we can get at least 100 extra posts out of this thread so might as well start. How's your day going?
    LoL my day is good, I think the OP changed his name and posted on another thread with the exact same spec =O

LoL my day is good, I think the OP changed his name and posted on another thread with the exact same spec =O

That is unforgivable..... I'm not sure what to do.... how goes the raiding?!

Agg's tanking guide

+ Reply to Thread