+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too much Stam?

Too much Stam?

The World of Warcraft Armory

Right now I'm at 32,019HP unbuffed, should I be going for other stats as well?

Also looking at my glove enchant, I got the +18 stam, should I drop it for Armsman?

My opinion would be get the Hodir shoulder enchant for tanks (I know its a long grind but its worth it). I would get the def enchant on your shield and indeed get Armsman on your gloves as a couple hundred hitpoints more isn't that a big deal compared to higher avoidance which will make you perhaps miss a big hit. But it's up to you what you prefer.
    I love tanking . "He organized your library? I am impressed." Anduin Lothar to Medivh about Khadgar.

I dunno, if threat isn't an issue(generally isn't apart from hodir) I'd stick with the 18 stam on gloves. I use the hodir enchant on shoulders over the stam resi one but thats my choice. You will drop alot of stam from your helm when you get a decent one,i had helm of vital protection and then ironbark for pro avoidance and threat stats.

I don't think armory stats show your in game stats so can't comment on your avoidance. As a warrior main tank i have 33.8k unbuffed(using gossamer + ignis stam trinket) and have 27% dodge unbuffed.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sh...&n=Badcatjonny

You need more Hit Ranking mate. You r not HR capped and as far as i know Naxx can "forgive" taht but Ulduar wont

Quote Originally Posted by Yeahbunny View Post
    You need more Hit Ranking mate. You r not HR capped and as far as i know Naxx can "forgive" taht but Ulduar wont
    Actually, most tanks are moving away from threat stats when entering Ulduar, because threat seems to be fine in most cases. Survivability is becoming really important with these hard hitting bosses.

I was going to say knowing what your tanking makes a differnace. Knowing what stats you need depend on a couple things like your healers and there gear, your DPS and your/thier threat, and type of dmg you taking mostly. By this I mean slow hard hits, fast little ones, magic dmg. I think its one of the fun parts of tanking and progressing with your guild. What do you feel like is lacking that you can change simpli(ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Irulan View Post
    Actually, most tanks are moving away from threat stats when entering Ulduar, because threat seems to be fine in most cases. Survivability is becoming really important with these hard hitting bosses.
    It thought it was true in Naxx and I still think it holds true. Paladins do not need to stack hit, and definitely don't need to stack expertise.

Expertise is obvious because we have so many threat abilities that can't even be dodged or parried anyway (Judgement, Exorcism, Consecrate, Avenger's Shield, taunts, and Shield of Righteousness).

For hit it is a little more complicated. For warriors every lost hit is also lost rage. For us that isn't true. A few missed hits here and there won't severely cripple our DPS because the blue-rage-bar gives us a huge buffer. The only time it becomes an issue is snap-aggro, such as picking up adds, and I can't actually recall a time it caused a wipe for me. We have plenty of abilities for all our GCDs, so if one misses another is right behind it.

That said, effective health is HUGE in ulduar because a lot of the damage is very spiky. For example, Hodir's frozen blows or Kologarn. We've had some great success swapping our Paladin or Unholy DK tank for a bear on these fights. Our DK keeps having problems that he just doesn't dodge/parry/miss three attacks in a row and our healers were looking away for a second or moving and that takes him down. Our healers also aren't having mana problems, so maxing out EH is probably the best way to go if you're still progressing.

In short: Stamina and Armor (the glove reinforcements are still good for EH I believe) are probably your most important stats. It's only after your comfortable with your EH that you should branch into avoidance and threat stats.

Running 34k HP unbuffed ~ 45k hp raid buffed, gives me a comfortable margin tanking Ulduar 25 and Ulduar 10 hardmodes (DK-tank, currently Blood).

I am still at 7% hit with hit buff food and over exp. cap, so those stats I feel are fine.
    Total Avoidance is around 57%, so I must admit that I am gemming and enchanting for stamina all the way... still picking up pieces that will give me more stamin at the cost of avoidance, but I am trying to balance it for most fights with a high stamina pool and high avoidance.
    Currently hoping to see trinket for Igniss 25 or Yogg 10 come my way for even more Stamina

But go the way you feel the most comfortable with as there is not "true" way anymore, you have to balace towards the assignment you have in the raid.

/Wolf :Q

Quote Originally Posted by Wolftank View Post
    Running 34k HP unbuffed ~ 45k hp raid buffed, gives me a comfortable margin tanking Ulduar 25 and Ulduar 10 hardmodes (DK-tank, currently Blood).

I am still at 7% hit with hit buff food and over exp. cap, so those stats I feel are fine.
    Total Avoidance is around 57%, so I must admit that I am gemming and enchanting for stamina all the way... still picking up pieces that will give me more stamin at the cost of avoidance, but I am trying to balance it for most fights with a high stamina pool and high avoidance.
    Currently hoping to see trinket for Igniss 25 or Yogg 10 come my way for even more Stamina

But go the way you feel the most comfortable with as there is not "true" way anymore, you have to balace towards the assignment you have in the raid.

/Wolf :Q

A DK hp should be way higher the a Pally HP, which this thread is about..... 34k is probably average for DK... and 32 is about average for pallies in Ulduar content

My current progression set:

The World of Warcraft Armory

Next big HP-upgrades is the Yogg-10-Trinket (dropped on the first kill but DK outrolled me ) and the Hodir-10-Hard-Shield. All the other loot im planning is 25-Hard and will take some time from now. Aiming to get to around 37-38k unbuffed at the end of ulduar.

p.s.: There is no point where you can say "I have too much HP!".

I have 39K unbuffed and still would like more. Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, designed encounters and avoidance in a way which basically nullifies the point in gemming for or using trinkets/gear that stacks them. HP enchants are always superior (to an extent) and HP gear is always superior. It's ridiculous, but true until something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    I have 39K unbuffed and still would like more. Blizzard, in their infinite wisdom, designed encounters and avoidance in a way which basically nullifies the point in gemming for or using trinkets/gear that stacks them. HP enchants are always superior (to an extent) and HP gear is always superior. It's ridiculous, but true until something changes.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Rukrow View Post
    agreed
    yup

no such thing as too much stam.

40.8k unbuffed (don't you hate druids?)
    only 134 hit rating, hodir I switch to higher hit just to help with threat, but I haven't lost anything else yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewalker View Post
    I don't know what you did, but it isn't possible to reach 39k unbuffed as a paladin right now, maybe with frost resist gear but that lacks enormous defense. The best unbuffed value i can achieve with all hard mode gear and only 540 defense is 38.5k, maybe a little bit more. Looking at your gear, you lack to much hard mode loot to get that value.

Quote Originally Posted by Hire
    40.8k unbuffed (don't you hate druids?)
    only 134 hit rating, hodir I switch to higher hit just to help with threat, but I haven't lost anything else yet.
    If you are a druid 40.8k unbuffed could be somewhat feasible, but again not as a paladin and thats what we are talking about here.

I think the conclusion for all the paladins that want to tank progression fights is:
    - get to 540 defense (689 rating, you really don't need more)
    - stack stamina where you can (2 stamina trinkets are sometimes a must-have)
    - if you have >689 defense rating and all stamina gems, enchant for stamina
    - all the avoidance you need comes with the items you wear for max stamina

If your guild isn't happy with your health, step back like other tanks but this isn't necessary for most of the bosses, just tank it!
    Last edited by PhilS; 06-24-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Keep going on the sta. As others have said, threat shouldn't be a problem, no matter your progression. Though we all had fun with max threat/dps specs most of us dropped most of our extra threat for extra survivability in ulduar. Especially as a paladin dps still shouldn't be anywhere near you.

Go for the 18 sta glove enchant. If you are block capped (too lazy to add up your avoidance) keep your shoulder enchant. You should also really be looking at dropping your repelling charge for another sta trinket (even gossamer).

If you want to quickly jump into ulduar, keep stacking stam if you want to be the goto tank for the serious tank fights, which all have hard hitting unavoidable dmg. Avoidance is nice, but mostly just comes on gear.

Also consider swapping your spec to a conviction/crusade spec. Unyeilding faith doesn't do much in any raid or really any heroic, and SotP is inferior threat. Also seeing as how you have no talents into imp judgements I'd recommend reading up on the corect rotation you should be using (called 96969).

keep an eye on your Def rating. With the change in gear from naxx to ulduar i have noticed def rating jumping all over the place. try and keep def rating at around 550 but stam at around 32-33k hp is about right.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Keep the figurine, and try to grab one of the better avoidence trinks from Uld, careful though, RC has a lot of defense, you may need to replace one of you stam/health chants (shield and chest respectively) for defense to cover for the nice avoidence boost an minimal stamina loss.

+ Reply to Thread