+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions about Main Tanking 25 man Ulduar as a DK

Questions about Main Tanking 25 man Ulduar as a DK

So I have been off tanking for my guild ever since I hit 80 back in the day. I love off tanking but I'm not to fond of main tanking. Due to 1 of our warrior tanks not having time to raid anymore and the other switching mains to his hunter, I now find myself MTing in Ulduar 25.

I seem to have trouble holding aggro. I'm constantly in a race to stay ahead of mages and warlocks. If they dont use their threat dumps they will pull aggro. I need constant misdirects and tricks put up on me.

I use a 12/51/8 Frost spec.
    my rotation goes: IT > PS > BS > BS > OB > FS and then usually repeat.

Expertise = 30
    Hit Rating = 267
    Defense Rating = 554
    Dodge = 28.86%
    Parry = 18.81%

Spec:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

Armory:
    The World of Warcraft Armory

I've done some research but all the relevant threads I find seem to be months old.

Is there anything anyone can suggest that I can do to generate more threat?
    New rotation?
    New Spec?

Your spec looks fine, and your rotation seems to be the standard. Some questions that can help improve tps:

1) Are you taking advantage of Rime and KM procs? you should ideally be using HB when Rime procs, and FS when KM procs.

2) How are you using death chill? I personally like using for in un-KMed FS as often as possible.

3) Are you using Unbreakable Armor often? remember it has a strength bonus so it's very nice for threat.

4) Are you taking advantage of Blood Tap and ERW? Bloodtapping after you run out of blood runes is a nice way to get a few extra hits into your rotation.

Remember your rotation isn't really set in stone, you need to be able to adapt your rotation on the fly.

My question would be, do you have Rune Striked correctly macroed into all your spells. It should read /cast !Rune Strike. If you don't have the exclamation mark your turning it off as much as your turning it on. If you don't macro it at all, your missing lots of threat right there. Glyph of Rune Strike macro will also get you more threat mileage than Death and Decay.

I found myself in a similar position when 3.1 arrived. Mostly off-tank so I wasn't too worried about threat (was unholy at the time), yet when I was needed to main-tank, the threat wasn't cutting it. As keeprock suggested, macroing everything to Rune Strike helped a great deal, and I also went to blood spec around the same time. Myself and a few guildies noticed a nice threat increase with blood.

Blood 53/8/10

I also keep an unholy tank spec as my dual spec for Thorim's arena, but everything else has done very well with blood.

wow! thanks for all the tips guys. I'll definitely start by adding in that macro.

thanks again

~Kruegore

+ Reply to Thread