+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Unholy AOE/OT build, help with talent choices

Unholy AOE/OT build, help with talent choices

I've been a DK tank since the launch of WOTLK and hitting 80 pretty fast, took a few months break and played resto druid, now I tank a bit on my DK again.

Went into Ulduar 10 and struggled immensely with the Thorim arena part, getting my runes on cooldown and not having any AOE ability to pick up the new waves. I've always been a frost tank but am now looking to go Unholy as an AOE/OT tank.

To do AOE well I think the following talents are a must:
    Unholy Blight
    Corpse Explosion
    Wandering Plague

To make the AOE diseases and such do the most damage I think the following talents are good to have:
    Crypt Fever + Ebon Plaguebringer
    Impurity
    Epidemic
    Virulence

To generate the RP and sustain the RP required for Unholy Blight and Corpse Explosion I think the following talents are good to have:
    Scent of Blood
    Dirge

Since I'm a tank, and the two jobs of a tank is to take all the beating (Keep threat) and reduce as much of the incoming damage as possible, the other talent choices are for that, single target threat and mitigation.

Now especially the ST threat bit I'm having problems making choices for, what would be the best choices on a talent for talent basis to get the most single target threat possible with this AOE build?

So every other talent in this build I did not mention, I went for to get either Mitigation or for Single target threat:
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deat...4&version=9901

I hope some of you, who are more at home with each talent and its contribution, can give me some feedback on what would be better choices for me instead of the ones I went for in the build linked above.

I am Naxx10 geared so already a bit undergeared for Ulduar 10, working on that, don't know if that makes a big difference when it comes to the talent choices made.

Thanks in advance

Can you justify two tank specs? I can't, as in my 10-man guild I might need to dps from time-to-time.

If you can, then get a Frost build for AOE and then take-your-pick for single-target.

For ST threat, strong talent is Necrosis. BCBlade is good for threat too but marginally increases the chance you'll get a parry-haste from boss.
    The DK tank site: pwnwear.com.

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDK View Post
    Can you justify two tank specs? I can't, as in my 10-man guild I might need to dps from time-to-time.

If you can, then get a Frost build for AOE and then take-your-pick for single-target.

For ST threat, strong talent is Necrosis. BCBlade is good for threat too but marginally increases the chance you'll get a parry-haste from boss.

Well, I want a pvp/dps build as well. :/

Also, I've always been a Frost tank and I didn't have major issues with AOE threat until the Thorim arena. Having your runes on cooldown meaning no DnD or HB or Pestilience, and a new wave of mobs coming in, makes you lose aggro and get dps/healers killed. Thats why I wanted to switch to Unholy since I believe it is the best AOE build.

So should I drop talents like Viscious strikes, outbreak, or even Desecration to put into Necrosis instead?
    Like this?
    http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?deathknight=0050320000000000000000000000005000000 0000000000000000000035230005103014233031003133151& glyph=041225020504&version=9901
    Last edited by SandRock; 06-12-2009 at 06:16 AM.

+ Reply to Thread