+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Keyboard Turning...

Keyboard Turning...

Keyboard Turning and Clickers...

I am one of them... Pre-BC and pre-WotLK my warrior was one, and had very few problems.

In WotLK, on paladin, I have no problems at all with it, groups/raids I have been in haven't noticed or pointed it out.

But when I said it at the start of a Naxx10 raid yesterday, to have a joke etc, I got kicked and numerous /w from the raid leader labelling me a 'noob' and telling me to 'L2P'.

What are the major disadvantages to Keyboard Turning and Clicking abilities?

And what do YOU think about it?

Well this have been brought up numerous times before.

The fact is that binding your abilities to the keyboard (if done properly) is simply faster to use than clicking with your mouse, in adition this will leave the mouse free to be used for targeting, movement and orientation.

I would recommend that you get a bar addon (i use dominos myself, and its really easy to setup), try to bind your most common abilities so the sit nicelly around your left hand and try it out for yourself, once you get used to it, you should notice that you are able to react alot faster than with clicking.

Just sounds like the raid leader was an idiot. Better off without that.

Keyboard turning is fine. If it works for you, it works for you. Everything is different. I personally use keyboard and mouse, and I click most of my targets (with occational tabbing, depending how frantic it is), use no macros or mods at all...and no-one notices because I do my job properly.

Am I gimping myself? Possibly, but considering I'm still doing a fine job without the crutches I see no reason to change anything. I have fun with my more hands on approach, and it feels much more natural to me then relying on macros to do the work for me.

Yep, you don't really need to be a noob to use keyboard to turn, but you'll never be as fast as you can be with using mouse just to move/target and keybind everything you need in combat for quick access.

For example on vezax where you need to kite, it can make the difference of 0,5s which matters. And it's a lot of time already, it'll probably make less of a difference on timing your abilities, as mouse isn't all that slow, but I'm pretty sure I'd have died plenty more times if I had to spend that 0,3s moving my mouse to click shield wall.

It's less of an issue in PvE. If you can make it work you won't be playing at max potential but as long as you get the boss down it shouldn't be an issue (especially for naxx).

For PvP if you do it you are bad because you have to be constantly moving and turning.

Another thing is that you actually have to focus on your bars to see what you are clicking, that takes some time too, while with keybinds you can be 100% focused on whats going on around you while using abilities. It may not be so crucial to have keybinds on pve, but there are actually a lots of fights with movement involved and environmental damage to avoid, so in my opinion its still very good to have keybinds for pve.
    [An00b'arak]: >8< spider power

Try getting out of Shock Blast while keyboard turning.

Keyboard turning is terrible for movement, and clicking action bars is terrible for ability use. This holds true for all classes/roles.

In low movement, "tank n' spank" style fights, it makes very little difference. Most of naxx falls into that category. Try tanking Sarth with a two or more drakes up, and being the only tank on blazes/whelps, while keyboard turning and clicking on action bars and I guarantee you will fail horribly.

It's sort of like driving. I can steer a car with only my knee on the steering wheel if the road is emply, there are no sharp turns, and I'm not going very fast. Try that in rush hour traffic at 65MPH and I will probably be trading paint with the cars around me.

Mouse movement, strafe running (running sideways at full speed so your back never to the mob), binding spells to keybaord keys, decoupling your camera from your toon's movement (so you're not staring at the boss's crotch the whole time and unable to see what's going on around you), are all things a good tank HAS to master to be effective in more difficult encounters. Watch Cider's videos on tanking, not the boss strat ones, but the "tanking 101" ones. (tried to find them to link but I guess I fail at tankspot navigation 101, can I get a video guide?)

Quote Originally Posted by Nunes View Post
    You could do it if you ran through the boss instead of turning around.

But then it'd be pretty funny to watch you slowly slowly shuffle around to meet him.

And would ruin the big advantage warriors have when tanking Mimiron...being able to charge in as Shockblast hits so that Mimiron doesn't move.

see how fast you can turn 180 degrees..run 10 yards and charge back at the same target.

If you can do it just fine in about 1.0 second keyboard turning then your ok for mimiron tanking.

using mouse, intervene key binds and key bind charge makes life a little faster.

Tbh i use a combination of both..malygos is a good test of binds and using the mouse to target and camera angle move whilst using all your abilities to keep threat up.

If you feel that keyboard and clicking is going to hold you back..try grabbing a freind or 2 and go do some arenas. Arena sharpens the skills and speed of reaction somewhat.

As someone posted above..do what is best for you..but experiment.
    Belgariad: EU : Lightnings Blade. Once a Tank. Always a Tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Nunes View Post
    I've always been keyboardturning and i had no problems whatsoever getting out of shockblast when i was dpsing. Though I'm trying to get rid of the habbit and start turning with the mouse.

I admit, I used to be a keyboard turner. And, prior to using the normal a,w,s,d, I was using the arrows! *gasp* A few of the guys in my guild noticed what I was doing and got me to change to a,w,s,d. I didn't start using my mouse until I met a really good pvp mage that dueled me over and over until I got used to it. What a difference! It doesn't take all that long to get used to. Once you start, you'll see how limited you really are using the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Teaslin!

I use both mouse and keyboard for turning when I need to... Other bonus is I never talk in vent during intense situations because of the button 5 being my ptt. If I need to target a specifc mob I create a macro for it... For running out of stuff I will make a macro for it as well..

I had an easier time with 3d just by creating macros... also when on sentinel duty for razor.
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

+ Reply to Thread