+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Flame Leviathan (Hard Mode)

Ulduar Flame Leviathan (Hard Mode)

Vehicle Usage
    4 Choppers
    4 Siege Engines
    3 Demolishers w/ Turret Teams
    2 Demolishers on pure DPS (have best geared players as drivers)

Put your worst geared players into either the Siege Engine gunner positions or the gunner positions on the 2 pure DPS Demolishers.

Turret Team Addendum
    In the video, I mentioned canceling parachutes or blinking out of them. When an Overload hits, you can also forcibly eject yourself from Flame Leviathan for quicker access to vehicles. This is what we do with our hybrid DPS/Healers.

Tower Notes
    I had to cut this from the script due to the time constraint of the video. Enjoy!

The Thorim tower locks out a section of the room with a series of enormous damage lightning beams that leave a DOT on anything they hit. When maneuvering around these beams, understand that older beams will fire before newer ones, and they will follow a pattern across the room. This makes it easy to back up or move forward into a brand new one to avoid one that's been up for several seconds.

The Hodir tower creates beams that follow unique targets and lock onto them before firing down a massive ice shard which creates a block of ice around nearby vehicles. With these beams, it's important to understand that so long as you are moving directly forward or directly backward the moment they lock onto you, you will never be hit by them. Attempting to turn or maneuver or taking too long to start moving will allow you to be ice blocked. For clarification -- there is no situation under which a player is not able to avoid an ice block if they are moving directly out of the area when a beam stops on them.

While a player can be broken out of their ice block, having two or three people hit by an ice block during an encounter is a virtual death wish, as the damage taken from AOE damage during the Flame Leviathan encounter will likely finish those vehicles off.

The Mimiron tower creates a flame barrier across diagonal portions of the room. If a player drives into this flame barrier they will take a massive damage DOT. For the purposes of the Flame Leviathan encounter, Demolishers or Siege Engines currently being pursued should never go into an area where they could potentially be cut off by a flame barrier, as other vehicles will not be able to drive through it to keep interrupts on Flame Leviathan.

The final tower is Freya, which spawns sets of large and small lashers from each of the corners. These lashers will be killed extremely quickly if they go over burning tar, so the strategy for dealing with them will generally deal with Choppers. It's important to note that Siege Engine and Demolisher gunners do not build aggro on these targets if they fire on them or the tar during the encounter; however, Siege Engine and Demolisher drivers can cause them to attack the vehicle if they attack, so it's generally best to avoid doing this.

To combat Freya's adds, we have Choppers put down tar as often as their cooldown permits, anywhere around Flame Leviathan or the center of the room. By covering a large portion of the ground with flaming tar, Lasher adds are very likely to light themselves on fire regardless of who they aggro on initially. Additionally, Choppers who are between pickups can use a quick Sonic Horn on lasher packs to get aggro and, if they're careful, can get away without being hit and drag them over the tar.
    Last edited by Aliena; 01-25-2010 at 08:51 AM.

First ! um is it up on the donor part? or going on the youtube first?

Looks promising! can't wait, keep the good work going!

Also, First post!!

*edit* Second post!!!! Nuke stole the first post while i were writing!!=(
    Although prepared for martyrdom, I preferred that it be postponed.
    Sir Winston Churchill

Too slow Zakaa :P

Movie is up. Donor download coming soon (either during or immediately after raid).

Donor download is up! Enjoy!

Love the vids, thanks for this.

I'm just curious what kind of setup you guys use for 10 man and if you can give a quick break-down on how'd you'd adjust for a 10 man strategy.

After the first 2 are thrown for the first overload would you then go to one being thrown? Any other tips for 10 man? Thanks

I suppose that on 10 man you can/should use 1 demolisher as pure dps, and second to overload, and sacrafice one of choppers in favor of rotation presented in this video: 1 dps as demolisher gunner, 1 dps in chopper waiting for gunner to be thrown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mierzei View Post
    I suppose that on 10 man you can/should use 1 demolisher as pure dps, and second to overload, and sacrafice one of choppers in favor of rotation presented in this video: 1 dps as demolisher gunner, 1 dps in chopper waiting for gunner to be thrown.
    That is how my group did 10 man, ymmv. Also note on 10 man, with 1 bike, you can't really count on oil to kill the lashers, you'll need your siege tank gunners to deal with them for the most part.
    Last edited by cudmaster; 06-08-2009 at 08:07 PM.

is the movie down? it seems to not want to play for me on youtube

you say to have your best geared people driving Demoloshers... is that cause the better geared people put out more damage?

Quote Originally Posted by dagimp007 View Post
    you say to have your best geared people driving Demoloshers... is that cause the better geared people put out more damage?
    itemlevel of drivers gives the vehicles more hp & damage...

Try it a few times with people positioned by itemlevel, but if someone sucks at the vehicle that this puts them in, switch it up! Some people are really bad at driving, other people (like me) are really bad at gunning, some people can't avoid walls of fire while keeping a 10 stack of pyrite up on the boss. All the ilevel in the world is still going to do bad damage if the player in question can't manage the core mechanic of the vehicle.

I too would appreciate some clarification on how you would adapt this for 10 man (Namely the vehicle setup).

Honestly I can't say too much on the 10-man encounter. I have spent very little time in 10-mans. I know there are a few things you can't stack the same way -- for instance, choppers probably can't stack tar everywhere and hope the lashers all get killed by it, simply due to the tar cooldown and the limited number of choppers. That said, this really warrants a reply from someone other than me.

Hey Ciderhelm, what is the addon that you're using to keep track of your pyrite stacks/timer?

uhhh, just in case you dont realize dieshan, already-in-game build UI shows pyrite stacks, and time left on debuffs is shown just like cooldowns, your stack is shown as first one(and it has minimally bigger icon). I honestly use about 5 addons total, and none of them is UI mod, and i never had problems with doing anything i was asked on raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Mierzei View Post
    uhhh, just in case you dont realize dieshan, already-in-game build UI shows pyrite stacks, and time left on debuffs is shown just like cooldowns, your stack is shown as first one(and it has minimally bigger icon). I honestly use about 5 addons total, and none of them is UI mod, and i never had problems with doing anything i was asked on raids.
    Uhh, in case you didn't realize Mierzei, no one uses in game blizzard UI anymore. Anycase, I'm not talking about the ingame UI..I use pitbull and it shows the pyrite stacks under the target, but it can be hard to see when theres 5 stacks up there. I'm talking about the timer he has on the pyrite stack in the middle of his screen, this would help alot better than trying to watch the small UI target frame.

That's Auracle.

Set up

Hi i was just wondering who would be good to throw up onto the boss, would you be able to throw up hybrids or is it better to have 2 ranged dps and a healer set up? Is there any point in throwing up melee or is that just way outta the question?

Sorry and finally I heard that the hard mode loot drops off of 3 towers and 4 towers, cos if so i can really only see my guild doing orbituary for the meta achievement "heroic: glory of the ulduar raider"

In your video, you reference that you use mages because they can cancel their parachute and blink away. Is there a reason that you dont have your Overload team just exit vehicle immediately after Overload has started but before they are launched in the air?

+ Reply to Thread