+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what weapon enchant should i get?

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    okay so I've been looking over logs from the last month and blood draining does not seem to go off that often. don't get me wrong it is up 100% the time I'm tanking but the actual heal doesn't seem to go off that often which i suppose makes sense but still the most it ever goes off is on attempts where we've wiped.

this has led me to believe that this a useless enchant like 80% of the time. this may simply mean that i have great healers so i prolly shouldn't hold it against the enchant. so now I'm gonna need to figure out a more useful enchant to start using.
    this is sort of a silly way to look at it. after all, you rarely use your last 500 stamina either, so why not just get rid of it in favor of something else?

EH is EH - it's there when you need it. whether or not you want to enchant for EH is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Bladeward did not prevent anything, for all we know everyone of the parries that bladeward proc was up for, would have happened even if bladeward had not proced. Your basically having a chance on hit to have a small increased chance to avoid a hit.
    So, I keep seeing this over and over again. Since when do people look at one specific combat roll to evaluate something's performance.

Quick side example. You are a hit capped warlock with 30% crit. You add a new trinket that adds 2% crit. By the above argument, 98% of the time that trinket is doing absolutely nothing for you (30% of the time you would have crit anyway, and 68% of the time you would have hit anyway). Does that make this new 2% crit trinket useless? No, of course not; 2% of the time it will make a hit into a crit.

When Bladeward procs and you get the buff, you get 2.5% avoidance for 10 seconds (just taking a round number since it of course varies depending on your current parry and defense ratings, in my gear a 1-stack would be 2.58% parry after DR). Now regardless of if you "use" that 2.5% or not is irrelevent; you increased your avoidance by 2.5% for 10 seconds, so 2.5% of the time something that would have hit is now instead avoided.

Likewise for Mongoose, 120 extra agility (at my gear level) is an additional 1.07% dodge after DR for 15 seconds. Again, regardless of any specific combat roll in which I might have dodged anyway, I still gained that 1.07% avoidance. 99%, by some people's arguments, I'm not actually "using" the Mongoose proc and it is doing nothing for me, but it doesn't change the fact that it increased my avoidance by 1.07% for those 15 seconds.

So therefore, in order to figure out how much avoidance each enchant is providing me in the grand scheme of things, we need to average out the avoidance gain by the "uptime" of the buff. Unfortunately Bladeward's buff is consumed if you parry while it is up, which has the effect of lowering Bladeward's uptime. This makes it really hard to determine the overall avoidance gains of this enchant and really is what makes it lackluster. IF bladeward lasted it's full 10 second duration and had a 20% uptime, it would provide an average of 0.5% constant avoidance. However, there's absolutely no way of telling how much uptime (in theory) you are going to have on the buff because of the random nature of the buff being consumed.

Mongoose is much more straight forward. Depending on what numbers you look at, Mongoose has around 40% uptime. So 40% of the time you gain 1.07% avoidance for an average 0.428 "constant" avoidance.

Personally, I don't like either of them. I'll take my constant 25 hit rating and constant 25 crit rating from Accuracy...

The problem on proccs is the procc. You sure will have a proc at the beginning of the fight but you'll not sure that the procc is up when you drop low or beeing in danger.
    So static enchants are better while progressing in general.
    Now comes blood drain which looks poor "2k HP on procc" wow... But while progressing its amazing! Lets say you have 45k HP an the boss hits you with 15k per strike, you eat 3 hits no parry no block no dodge = you die, with blood drain you life.
    Its the best tanking enchant as warrior MT during progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    so i'm hearing accuracy then?
    The problem with Accuracy is Ulduar gear is so hit heavy that you'll problem find yourself in a situation where you need to lose hit to balance other stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    so 2.5% of the time something that would have hit is now instead avoided.
    By posting that it shows you do not understand the combat table or what the buff is realy doing for you. I highly recommend the Bladeward vs mongoose post on these fourms where you can properly understand why the above statement is incorrect.

Proc rate on Blade Warding is garbage. If it's proccing 3 times thru the duration of a hardmode mimiron fight that goes into phase 4, then it's not doing anything for me.

It looks like they left off a trailing 0 on the proc rate encoding.

By posting that it shows you do not understand the combat table or what the buff is realy doing for you. I highly recommend the Bladeward vs mongoose post on these fourms where you can properly understand why the above statement is incorrect.
    I completely understand it. All your gobbledygook about blocks becoming parries and hits becoming blocks is pointless. Again, who looks at single combat rolls and says "It is this, but it would have been this." 10% miss, 20% dodge, 20% parry, 20% block, 30% hit. You gain buff, 10% miss, 20% dodge, 22.5% parry, 20% block, 27.5% hit. By adding the buff, you gained 2.5% parry and decreased your chance of getting normally hit by 2.5%.

By saying "so 2.5% of the time something that would have hit is now instead avoided" I'm not implying that "If the die roll is a 70, 71, or 72, that hit became a parry." I understand the whole shifting of the combat table. However, what I'm saying it that it is absurd to even think about it that way.

No it isnt, but it is a flat out lie to say blade ward will make "something that would have hit is now instead avoided".

It doesnt matter if your looking at a single hit or 100 trillion hits, they will never become avoidance with blade ward. To say otherwise(and thats what you said) would be the same as saying blood draining will heal you so you wont ever need healing as a tank. Its a lie...

No it isn't a flat out lie to say blade ward will make "something that would have been a mitigated hit is now instead avoided".
    Fixed .
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

Quote Originally Posted by Tarigar View Post
    Fixed .
    You realize what was in Quotes was in quotes because thats what he said...

You realize what was in Quotes was in quotes because thats what he said...
    I did yes.. but it was just easier to quote you . and I fixed his quote as well at the same time..
    True Bonding Occurs when you wipe your raid and then your raid wipes you in return - Tarigar

No it isn't a flat out lie to say blade ward will make "something that would have been a mitigated hit is now instead avoided, and something that would have been a hit is instead a mitigated hit".
    Fixed again. And what's that end result? You take a hit 2.5% less often and you avoid an attack 2.5% more often.

Are you arguing semantics just for the sake of arguing? Your avoidance increases by 2.5%. The resulting combat table has 2.5% less normal hits on it. Who cares if "on this particular roll it would have been a block but is now a parry, but on that particular roll it would have been a hit but is now a block."

Calm down fellers.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

No it isnt, but it is a flat out lie to say blade ward will make "something that would have hit is now instead avoided".

It doesnt matter if your looking at a single hit or 100 trillion hits, they will never become avoidance with blade ward. To say otherwise(and thats what you said) would be the same as saying blood draining will heal you so you wont ever need healing as a tank. Its a lie...
    If you understand the attack table then you must realize that never does an attack turn into something else in game. Furthermore trying to call a random variable a specific number is not looking at an attack table, its looking at an event that the attack table yielded. Not the same thing.

Anyhow Porcell, you are right and Lizana isn't realizing the error in his application of the attack table. We've been over this and I'm not about to get into it again. However here's some links that has discussion about Blade Ward.

Blade Warding by the Logs
    Bladeward vs. Mongoose

Hope it helps.

+ Reply to Thread