+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do i need to gem for expertise?

Do i need to gem for expertise?

Hi everybody,
    this is the link to my armory The World of Warcraft Armory

I have a decent DPS but I think i can improve it...should I gem (or also enchant) for expertise instead of strenght with this gear until capped?

Is there anything else i could do in order to raise my DPS? (I have to finish to enchant some items, i know...)

Thanks

allow a dedicated tank to take a stab at a DPS question...pardon any ignorance...

taking a quick gander at you gear, the first thing i notice is your hit rating somewhere in the stratosphere. if memory serves me correctly, the yellow hit cap with 3/3 precision is 361 (or 11 percent reduced chance to miss). now, if i understand fury DPS mechanics (and herein might be my ignorance) is it's more dependent on yellow damage than white damage...different than a rogue where over half of their damage done is from white damage. if that truly is the case, then anything extra over 361 is unnecessary. not that you could shed all of that extra +hit just by switching out some gems, but you could disregard some +hit socket bonuses in favor or more strenght and maybe there are other items in raids/heroics that will allow you to swap some hit for say strength or crit or AP...whatever.

now that we are done with hit, yes, your expertise does seem surprisingly low relative to what you managed with hit rating. as DPS, you want to shoot for the dodge cap with expertise (6 percent???) since you should be attacking from behind any mob/boss and can position to avoid parries.

basically, you just have to balance your stats a bit and you should see better results like you expect. good luck.

Thank you....
    do you think i need to try to cap expertise with gems, while i run raids waiting for items with exp to drop?

Yep hit the expertise soft cap. Also expertise food may be helpful to you. Expertise Elixers will also help.

Ok, so I'll remove the + 16 strenght gems on my items and I'll replace them with +16 exp until I got something new...

Now that the expertise question has been answered, I'll echo what tcdgais said... you have an astounding amount of hit. You're flirting with the hit hard cap (probably not really, exaggeration for emphasis).

You should find a sweet spot for yourself and figure out how you want to cut down on the hit for other meatier stats (at this point hit is only effecting your OH swings, so it's not all that useful).

For now, two pieces of quick advice for you:
    Staggering Legplates -> Wymrest Accord exalted legs
    Girdle Ascendant Phantom -> Heroic Emblem belt / Nexus belt

You might want to just throw those in the bank for when you upgrade other pieces with tons of hit on them, just in case you do need them again. But for now I'm willing to bet those two gear changes will do you pretty good.
    Last edited by Muffin Man; 06-04-2009 at 06:56 PM.

I should add as a mainspec fury warrior, that lots of hit is no bad thing as long as you don't gem/enchant for it over the yellow cap. A lot of fury damage actually does come from our white hits as we have a lot of spare GCD's unlike Arms - it also helps smooth out our rage generation a lot of which also comes from white hits.

I followed the advices of Muffin and I replace legs and belt and also my wrists with Wristbands of the Sentinel Huntress - Item - World of Warcraft that have expertise too. Now the hit is only 9%, while the expertise is nearly capped. So from now on, can i gem for strenght leaving expertise with these value?

+ Reply to Thread