+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Hodir (Hard Mode)

Sounds great however we usually have a warlock who maxes out on threat. I assume a similar tactic would be to have him go ballzout just prior to Flash Freeze and then as it ends I taunt and he does Soul Shatter?

Since I know little about warlocks is that something they all have or do they need to be specced for it?

There shouldn't have to be any threat reduction on anyone's behalf. Once the fight is a minute and a half or so in you should have a big enough lead, if people start getting close it may be better for them to aggro dump if they can, but the reality is soulshatter and all of that really have nothing to do with it, the 'trick' is that you have to taunt quickly. That's it.

As a tank I try to make it a point to do everything I can with regard to min/maxing gear, theory crafting, rotation work, etc. However, with that being said if your DPS do the same and effectively use the fight mechanics of Hodir they can drop some insane DPS numbers and thus some pretty high threat in the pursuit of 25m Hardmode.

I don't want to use the equivalent of a taunt bandaid as quickly as possible all the time, I would prefer to utilize a few calculated flash freeze taunts with fight specific concepts in mind so that threat becomes a non-issue with normal single target rotation.

Also I was wondering how effective it would be to intervene the lock or mage after taunting at the end of flash freeze and then just run back. Would that have much of an adverse affect on positioning, melee dps, etc?

Should I be able to do nothing more then taunt at the end of flash freeze and out threat the casters doing upwards of 12-15k DPS? I begin to worry that I am lacking as a tank or doing something wrong when my priority rotation has issues keeping me in the threat lead

You probably want to move him as little as possible. I'm not sure that there's anything to feel 'inadequate' about. Taunting quickly before people get smooshed is a skill just as much as your threat rotation. IT's simply NOT possible for you as a tank to outthreat a mage doing 20,000 dps, that's not a flaw with your playing unless you can't taunt it off of them fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    Also I was wondering how effective it would be to intervene
    It can help some but is probably not worth "the risk" of getting frozen yourself or charging headfirst into falling ice or whatever (if you have a problem with that)...

I find the best time to do this is before the ice falls to form the snow piles, while he is spinning up his flash freeze cast. ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelnut View Post
    Should I be able to do nothing more then taunt at the end of flash freeze and out threat the casters doing upwards of 12-15k DPS? I begin to worry that I am lacking as a tank or doing something wrong when my priority rotation has issues keeping me in the threat lead
    You need to get spark buffed too. If your dps thinks that you should be able to hold threat when they have that buff but you don't, then your dps is pants on head retarded. Believe me though a couple of shield slams (or whatever it is other tanks do) for 15+k and you'll be pretty good on threat for the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheYanger View Post
    You probably want to move him as little as possible. I'm not sure that there's anything to feel 'inadequate' about. Taunting quickly before people get smooshed is a skill just as much as your threat rotation. IT's simply NOT possible for you as a tank to outthreat a mage doing 20,000 dps, that's not a flaw with your playing unless you can't taunt it off of them fast enough
    Check out Veneretio's article about tanking Hodir: Hodirs Mage Trick and More! - Warriors - TankingTips.com

can anyone tell me the dps benchmark for this fight, i beleive i was told earlier with 4 healers 1 tank 20 dps - all dps need to be 8k or more. My new guild has done the fight before but after a bit of recruitment we were unable to get it. The GM was thinking it was just because of deaths or a freeze that we weren't getting it, but our closest attempt we were still 1.5 million away. I was thinking it was because only half our dps was over 8k, though our top 5 were over 12k.
    I remember The Beets - Killer Tofu Tour

What would be a good timer addon, to show how long bossfight been going for?

just get DBM and pay attention to the speed kill timer.

couple of questions.

How important is it for flash freezes to be broken out asap. enough that melee should peel off of hodir? or should it primarily be a ranged focus and melee helping anything that is within splash range of hodir.

2nd first night of attempts had us getting him down to around 20-21% and each attempt before that was 2-3% more, so we were showing progress (30->28->25->23->20). But 20% is still a long way to go. Do any of you guys think that if we can get to 20% we can make some slight adjustments and possibly achieve this? or is 20% too high and we need to just keep gearing up?

Thanks!

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

How often are people getting flash frozen?

unfortunately we had a couple of people getting flash frozen so maybe 2-3 each fight, but generally not very often. By Flash Freezes I mean the NPCs, and should there be a specific order of which ones should get broken out first?

My guild just got this last week, what we did was have only range break npc's out of ice blocks and we only broke out the mages and shamans. Of course, break out any players as well lol

What are the names of the mages and shamans?

Mages:
    Veesha Blazeweaver
    Amira Blazeweaver

Shamans:
    Spiritwalker Yona
    Spiritwalker Tara

these are the horde player names so any ally players will need to look up thier versions.

all names taken from wowwiki.com/hodir_(tactics)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    What are the names of the mages and shamans?
    For Horde I use the following macro before the fight to mark them:

/target Veesha
    /script SetRaidTarget("target", 3)
    /target Amira
    /script SetRaidTarget("target", 4)
    /target Spiritwalker Y
    /script SetRaidTarget("target", 5)
    /target Spiritwalker T
    /script SetRaidTarget("target", 6)

Works in both 10 and 25man, green and purple are the mages, other two are the shamans that do the storms. Not really sure why we mark the shamans because we don't break them out, but we have only done hardmode in 10man.

my guild marks them like that as well (different symbols probably though). we break the shamans out to make sure we can get the storm power buff as fast as we can.

but yeah, the mages are key to break out first.

Some guilds just break the mages who in turn break the others.

I need to see how to do reg 10m version..anyone seen a good vid on it?
    Zagnar -- Alliance -- Kalecgos -- 80 Frost DK

Quote Originally Posted by Zagnar View Post
    I need to see how to do reg 10m version..anyone seen a good vid on it?

the fight is generally the same between 10 man mode and 25 man mode.
    there are 4 npcs in the 10 man compared to the 25.He doesn't gain any new moves.Starlight should still be used.Moving is a must.Mage(rightmost one)should be first priorty.Healers should stand near the toasty fire which the mage casts.

+ Reply to Thread