+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ulduar Hodir (Hard Mode)

World of Logs - Real Time Raid Analysis

Was our first hard mode kill and did it with maybe a second to spare...3 of the 4 mages we had that night were not normal raiders so that certainly had something to do with it. I want better ret gear too!

Personal damage also has a lot to do with how lucky you are with getting the crit buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Maybe it is because my guild runs 2 full melee groups, but we find tanking him in one place is very ineffective. Our rogue did 14K dps last night, and me as feral did 11K, with 2 ranged dps at 12K.

Maybe I am missing something but why would you effectively lock out 1/2 your raid from getting a crucial buff when you can kite him from beam to beam?

O.o as im typing this you just said you used 3 healers ok that explains things a little but still confused as to what advantages not moving him gives when i see plenty of disadvantages.

Also even with 4 healers our warrior tank uses 3 pieces of frost resist and 4pc t8.

I consistently do 10-11k on every pull with him stationary. Keeping him still simplifies the fight considerably for ranged and allows casters, who take a much larger advantage from moonbeams, to maximize their dps. Our mages hold around 14-15k on this fight.

We are trying 25 man this week we did 10 man pretty easily and if you are interested here's the video of our kill [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOQTOpGheY]YouTube - Hodir 10-man Hard Mode[/ame]

hopefully soon i ll post a 25 man kill as well
    "Life is a journey, time is a river, door is ajar."

Moving him to every new beam and just standing in one spot are both less efficient in my opinion but if it was one or the other I would pick moving.

For us it was a matter of deciding when it was a good time to move him and when it was not worth it. Where there were 3 beams 5-10 yards away in a spot where casters would not have to move then there is no reason not to. If it required a lot of repositioning we just stayed put.
    Last edited by Meeks; 06-03-2009 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Man▀earpig View Post
    I consistently do 10-11k on every pull with him stationary. Keeping him still simplifies the fight considerably for ranged and allows casters, who take a much larger advantage from moonbeams, to maximize their dps. Our mages hold around 14-15k on this fight.
    and when 0 sunbeams get dropped in melee ?

I did find the staying stationary an interesting choice. We've been about 5% off our speed-kills on this phatso but we generally use a kite tactic which seems to boost dps over anything.

We are however running with 4 and not 3 healers…*I presume a more stationary approach makes it easier to focus on less damage in-take and less movement will possibly improve some people's dps also perhaps… Still an interesting way of doing it.

As for gear I have a semi-threat build and use 2 piece frost and 4 piece T8 for this fight. Threat is in general not an issue but people can ride close at times.

Regards
    Roarc

I almost never get sunbeams. The few pulls we got one they were not behind him so i couldn't shred. I just ignored them mostly. We toyed with the idea of just moving him a little bit when one landed near us.

I almost never get sunbeams. The few pulls we got one they were not behind him so i couldn't shred. I just ignored them mostly. We toyed with the idea of just moving him a little bit when one landed near us.

I usually barely break 8K standing in sunbeams the entire fight, got any WWS's ?

dps

we are planing on trying hodir hard mode as well thank u for the video but u said that the requirments of dps is fairly high what would u say the min for this hard mode encounter would be

I find the stationary strategy interesting. We'll be going for this in 10 man next week, but we've always kited him to give more benefit to the melee. Our DPS are 1 Death Knight, 1 Rogue, 2 Shadow Priests, 2 Mages, 1 Moonkin. Is the stationary strategy really that superior, even for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    This is just a bad fight for UA. I originally thought it'd be a better one, but any DPS/TPS gains you get from the spec are wiped out by the lengthy Flash Freeze casts and FrR gear.

UA is something I'll try to touch on in a news post, but I need to use it on Vezax before I can articulate a full thought process on it.
    Thanks for your replies Ciderhelm. How many pieces of FrR Gear are you wearing, and if you are, which ones? I'm assuming the raid doesn't need to wear, since this is after all a DPS race.
    "In Soviet Russia, RAGE needs YOU!"
    "Even with Titan's Grip, it still takes two hands!"

Remember that storm power is a bigger deal than moonbeams, especially for classes that crit a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    This is just a bad fight for UA. I originally thought it'd be a better one, but any DPS/TPS gains you get from the spec are wiped out by the lengthy Flash Freeze casts and FrR gear.
    Do you mean just for the hard mode or is that your opinion in normal mode as well? In my own personal experience my guild seems to do better with me in my UA spec on this fight. When in more beefcake specs or the deep wounds spec agro invariably gets pulled. I just use the flash freeze casts to refresh any losts stacks of sunder or shouts and the like. Plus I still have copious rage to HS spam assuming the snow drift is close by (which it usually is). I also tend to avoid FrR on normal mode. Smart cooldown management between me and the healers seems to do fine.

Given how much of a dps race this fight is it seems the more I can contribute in that regard the greater our chances of success.

Hey Cider,
    I noticed on this video you have a different type of "nearby mob health" bar. They seem to have no outline around them.

Could you point me in the direction of that addon?

Thanks,
    Protland

Quote Originally Posted by protland View Post
    Hey Cider,
    I noticed on this video you have a different type of "nearby mob health" bar. They seem to have no outline around them.

Could you point me in the direction of that addon?

Thanks,
    Protland
    Ciderhelm UI Information

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

Yes I am well versed with that link.

This addon seems to be a new addon that has not been added to his UI info

In the Hodir video you can clearly seem them as they are the "flash frozen" NPCs target bars above their heads.

beautiful. thanks.

the whole keeping him in that one place for the fight is great. we weren't going for hard mode or anything but keeping him in that one spot shaved 2 minutes off our kill time.

1. how do you mark the mages ? as it is impossible to mark them while tombed- you macroed their name or have someone assined to mark them ? (if macro, please copy paste :P)
    2. do you only free the mages and rely on them getting outher NPCs out, or not ? if yes, will it work on 10 man?
    3. we run a melee heavy group (usually 2 rogues, ret, 2 hunters another rogue/feral kitty/ warrior, with 1 tank and 2 healers on 10 man- any suggestions bout positioning ?^^)
    Last edited by huhcio; 06-05-2009 at 08:15 PM.

+ Reply to Thread