+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lvl 80 dk looking for a good tank spec

Lvl 80 dk looking for a good tank spec

Well I just hit level 80 on my deathknight, so I don't have very good tanking gear and I don't know what spec is best for tanking.

here is my armory link The World of Warcraft Armory

Did you try browsing through the threads already here before posting this? There's a lot of information already available that you can apply to your needs.

The one nice thing is that with DK's you really have a lot of options open depending on your play style. So to answer your question, going into any talent tree is fine so long as you pick up the base talents in each one (5% dodge/5% reduced damage/Toughness). The rest is just preference...I myself have preferred Frost tanking and have found an excellent spec which you can check out by looking up my character. Unholy and Frost can tend to be more AoE tanking while Blood is geared more towards single target although you can still do both decently with any spec.

Fwiw, I've recently started tanking heroics on my DK as Frost. I like the snap AoE aggro of HB and the extra avoidance from Frigid Dreadplate. I understand that at some level of gearing, once you have high enough avoidance (like 40% dodge + parry), Bone Shield becomes DK's best mitigation cd, which is one reason many progressed DK's seem to spec UH for tanking. But I'm not there yet.

PS - you're better geared than I am, you'll do fine on heroics, but your spec needs some tweaks. If you want to stay Blood, a few thoughts:

1. Rune Tap - one point here is not going to save you in any situation. Skip it, let your healers heal you.
    2. Annhilation - My off-spec is Blood and I use Death Strike in place of Oblit (both use same runes, but DS benefits more from Blood talents and glyph). I assumed that was the same for tanks, but is that correct? If so, skip Annhilation.
    3. Max Blood Gorged, for the armor pen. Blood does the most physical dmg of the trees, so 10% armor penetration is a worthwhile dmg/threat boost.
    4. My understanding is that Will of the Necropolis only works once on the hit that takes you from over 35% health to under it, whether that hit is a boss crit, or an AoE dmg tick, and once under 35% health it does nothing else for you. I see alot of Blood tanks skip it for that reason. Anyone else have any comment on this talent?
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 06-04-2009 at 12:05 AM.

I disagree on skipping Rune Tap, and in fact suggest putting full points into improved. A lot of Blood mechanics are self healing, regardless of how good your healers are things inevitably can and will go wrong. I can't tell you how many times Imp Rune Tap has saved my life, and the raid from a wipe. If you pop Vampiric Blood then improved Rune Tap, you'll heal yourself ~12k.
    I'm currently trialling a spec without Blood Gorged, instead putting the points into Unholy with Necrosis. Not sure how it will go for threat, I'll let you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
    Fwiw, I've recently started tanking heroics on my DK as Frost. I like the snap AoE aggro of HB and the extra avoidance from Frigid Dreadplate. I understand that at some level of gearing, once you have high enough avoidance (like 40% dodge + parry), Bone Shield becomes DK's best mitigation cd, which is one reason many progressed DK's seem to spec UH for tanking. But I'm not there yet.

PS - you're better geared than I am, you'll do fine on heroics, but your spec needs some tweaks. If you want to stay Blood, a few thoughts:

1. Rune Tap - one point here is not going to save you in any situation. Skip it, let your healers heal you.
    2. Annhilation - My off-spec is Blood and I use Death Strike in place of Oblit (both use same runes, but DS benefits more from Blood talents and glyph). I assumed that was the same for tanks, but is that correct? If so, skip Annhilation.
    3. Max Blood Gorged, for the armor pen. Blood does the most physical dmg of the trees, so 10% armor penetration is a worthwhile dmg/threat boost.
    4. My understanding is that Will of the Necropolis only works once on the hit that takes you from over 35% health to under it, whether that hit is a boss crit, or an AoE dmg tick, and once under 35% health it does nothing else for you. I see alot of Blood tanks skip it for that reason. Anyone else have any comment on this talent?

Pretty much what this guy said, blood works for me and the survivabilty is pretty good with the health bonus.
    I'm not sure about UH single target (boss) threat but I can't see it being better than frost or blood, we run frost and blood DK's on our runs and they tank frost but my threat is better than their's as blood.. and they're better players than me.
    Some interesting stats on tanking Vezaxx for example are I healed myself for about 300k (effective healing) on the fight, 250k of it with DS and 50k with 2/3 Bloodworms.
    I'm pretty sure point for point (not taking into account VB buffs) Mark of Blood might be the best out of BW's/RT/MoB.. I guess theyre situational.

Vampiric Blood glyphed is just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    I disagree on skipping Rune Tap, and in fact suggest putting full points into improved. A lot of Blood mechanics are self healing, regardless of how good your healers are things inevitably can and will go wrong. I can't tell you how many times Imp Rune Tap has saved my life, and the raid from a wipe. If you pop Vampiric Blood then improved Rune Tap, you'll heal yourself ~12k.
    I'm currently trialling a spec without Blood Gorged, instead putting the points into Unholy with Necrosis. Not sure how it will go for threat, I'll let you know.
    Yeah, I have to revise that piece of advice, due to something weird happening in H VH recently. I dps'd it in my Blood off-spec (with maxed, glyphed Rune Tap and all the other Blood healing talents except Bloodworms) for a group with another DK tank, and we got Xevozz, the hardest boss. About 1/3 into the fight, someone touched an orb, Xevozz got buffed and 2-shotted the tank.

I quickly switched to my tank set using the new Equipment Manager macro/icon on my main task bar (<3 Bliz for that) and Frost Presence, taunted, and drew his aggro. I managed to kite/tank him around VH, self-healing every chance with Rune Tap and Death Strike, popping all my cd's, etc., and we actually managed to down him.

Without any of the tanking talents except Anticipation, I should have died soon after and wiped the group, and almost did, but for the combination of kiting (one of my prior mains was a hunter) and maxed/glyphed Rune Tap, maxed/glyphed Death Strike, Vampiric Blood, Improved Blood Presence, Death Rune Mastery, and the other talents that contribute to Blood's self-healing.

So yeah, I retract that statement about Rune Tap, though I think if you're going to get it, you gotta go all the way and get 3/3 Improved Rune Tap and probably even the glyph. Another thing I noticed in testing out various Blood Specs is that if you add Black Ice into the mix and pop Vampiric Blood first, you can get some huge Rune Taps. That is of course at the expense of some of the more useful dps talents in the Unholy tree.
    Last edited by Kurtosis; 06-10-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Good to hear, though you not being Nightelf there was no gear swapping as you were in combat.

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    Good to hear, though you not being Nightelf there was no gear swapping as you were in combat.
    Hmm, I could have sworn I switched gear mid-fight. You know with Equip Manager, you can create icons with different gear sets, then drag them to action bars and click on them for quick switching? I thought I actually did that in the fight.

Or maybe I tried and it didn't work, but b/c I actually managed to live through it I just assumed it did (my tank set looks almost the same as my off-spec gear), and switched back to dps gear after the fight without noticing whether it had really switched or not.

+ Reply to Thread