+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Glyph of Disease/HB

Glyph of Disease/HB

I'm a Frost spec DK Tank (12/51/8) and am looking to find the right glyph combination which brings me to my question of which glyph (Disease or Howling Blast) would be better for tanking or whether I should stay away from them entirely. Any tips on my currently glyphs or these new ones would be greatly appreciated

My talent/glyph build can be seen here The World of Warcraft Armory

I use Glyph of Howling blast and absolutely love it. Plague Strike has been removed from my rotation and I generally only Howling Blast to refresh the disease. If you're lucky you can keep up FF an entire fight on Rime procs. It also free's up a GCD to get a Frost Strike in. Having the FF immediately applied to an AoE group allows for double damage BB's straight off the bat.

EDIT: Just looked at your spec and Glyphs, immediately replace dark command and death and decay with Obliterate and Howling Blast.

I would not take Icy Talons and would put those points into KM as it's a huge increase in threat and damage. I don't like morbidity as a Frost Tank and think it's a waste of 3 points that can be used more efficiently elsewhere. Lichborne is also a terrible talent since the nerf. You can check out my DK and current specs under my WoW characters, name is Drakiir.
    Last edited by Inaara; 05-29-2009 at 10:32 AM.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Thanks so much for your input. In regards to the 3 talent points in Morbitity I've actually been considering changing those since I don't use DnD nearly as much in Ulduar now than I used to running heroics, so I definitely agree with you there. As for Lichbourne I sadly had not recognized the nerf so again, another useless talent that I could be without (especially with Every Man For Himself)...along with the change from Icy Talons to Killing Machine should help out as well.

I guess part of my inquiry for either the glyph of disease/hb was my lack of understanding about the glyph of disease. To me it seems that the glyph would reset the timer of one or both diseases (depending on what you have on the primary target) as well as all those within range of pestilence. I have heard though that even without the glyph using pestilence will reset the diseases on the secondary targets while leaving the primary target timer the same (2 sec -- 15 sec). I have checked many websites since I've have found many people claiming this way while others believing pestilence transfers the diseases to the secondary targets with the same timer as the primary target (2 sec -- 2 sec). Even though glyph of howling blast may be a better choice it would be nice to clear up the confusion about what it is pestilence actually does.

Another question I had is how effective the Acclimation talent is for Ulduar and whether or not it would be worthwhile to talent into.

Your understanding of pestilence and the glyph of disease is correct. Unglyphed, pestilence applies (full duration) the diseases on your primary target to all targets in range but it does not reset the duration on your primary target; glyphed, it also resets the duration on your primary target.

I agree with inaara's advice, when I'm frost, I love my glyph of HB. And glyph of disease is nice if you're Blood spec, but it's not that great as frost, especially if you are glyphed for HB. You take full advantage of the glyph of HB when you remove IT, PS and pestilence from your AoE rotations, that way you use all blood runes on BB and you use UF runes for HB when the CD is up and OB for backup.

Disease does indeed refresh both of the diseases on your primary target however with the HB glyph you can remove IT and PS from your rotation since they don't get the crit damage bonus from Guile of Gorefiend like your HB and BS do. Since you're only using your blood runes for BS you will also always have that extra OB or HB that you can throw into your rotation. If you decide to keep Imp Icy Talons then there is no need for either glyph since you always have to IT to keep up the buff. If you do spec out of it then get Glyph of HB.

As for Acclimation, it does have it's uses but after testing it through a YS kill i've decided to drop it in favor of more threat talents. Notice that my build does not include Unbrekable Armor since I wanted a more streamlined rotation and found that UA was ok but not very game changing considering how hard the bosses in Ulduar hit.
    Last edited by Inaara; 05-29-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Agg's tanking guide

Thanks for clearing that up!

I'll be sure to try out the new glyphs in my 25 man tonight =)

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    If you decide to keep Imp Icy Talons then there is no need for either glyph since you always have to IT to keep up the buff. If you do spec out of it then get Glyph of HB.
    Actually, Improved Icy Talons procs off of Frost Fever, and not Icy Touch. Casting Howling Blast glyphed refreshes Improved Icy Talons for your raid.

Just thought I'd do a follow up on the information you have all provided me. (The World of Warcraft Armory) I have made the changes that Inaara had suggested and found that in my 25 man my dps improved from 15-2000 to about 20-2500, and on most mob pulls I can usually get over 3k dps. Although the dps isn't too important for tanks, it has helped my tps which increased substantially in boss/mob pulls and I find myself having to hold back in order to ensure the MT holds aggro. I'm also finding my mitigation to be better with Improved Frost Aura talent and taking less damage as a result.

This is my first time using the TankSpot forums and just wanted to thank you guys for your input! I will definitely come back if I have any other questions. =)

Quote Originally Posted by VerticalEvent View Post
    Actually, Improved Icy Talons procs off of Frost Fever, and not Icy Touch. Casting Howling Blast glyphed refreshes Improved Icy Talons for your raid.
    Yeah I just noticed the change over the weekend and was going to correct myself today lol.

Agg's tanking guide

It depends if you are talking about boss tanking or trash tanking. For boss tanking Glyph of Howling Blast is a waste of a glyph slot, and a poor use or runes. You're better off using IT > PS.
    For trash tanking GoHB is incredible.

Vine, from my expierence, Obliterate and Howling Blast usually hit for roughly the same.

Except, Obliterate crits for 1.5x damage, while Howling Blast crits for 2x damage. Excellent for when Killing Machine procs.

There's also a problem of that using both Icy Touch and Plague Strike taking a way an Obliterate or Howling Blast from your rotation, for the sake of a 12.5% increase in Obliterate. To make up for the lost DPS for applying both Frost Fever and Blood Plague, you will need to use 8 Obliterates to make up for that non-Obliterate (assuming that Plague Strike and Icy Touch's damage contribution is negligible).

8 Obliterates at 1.25x damage with both dieseases=~ to 9 Obliterates 1.125x with just Frost Fever.
    (10 =~ 10.125)

So, let's look at your rotation, then.

IT > PS > Obliterate > Blood Strike > Blood Strike (4 seconds)
    (10 second point) Obliterate > Obliterate > Obliterate (13 seconds)

At this point, you need to go back to re-applying your diseases. If you spec Epidemic, then you'll get 2 more Obliterates and Blood Strikes in.

So, unspecced, you'll get 4 Obliterates in. Specced, you'll get 6 Obliterates in. Even with the Glyph of Disease, you end up losing an Oblitertate every second rotation to reapply it, due to a missing Death Rune.

If you are tanking, you should do the Blood Strikes before Obliterate so you activate the 5% reduced damage.

+ Reply to Thread