View Poll Results: Best tank: paladin or warrior?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Paladin

6 22.22%
  • Warrior

21 77.78%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best tank class/race?

Best tank class/race?

So I was previously a blood elf DK tank, and I love tanking...but noone wants a DK! They're a dime a dozen and most of them suck (no offense). So here I am wanting to roll a different tank class. I've been a bear druid in BC, but man that bear butt sure gets boring to look at RAWR! First I was thinking warrior, the original tank! However, I loved being able to easily hold threat with my DK on multiple mobs, so I was leaning towards a paladin.

So basically warrior or paladin, and which alliance class is best for the job? I was leaning towards an NE if I choose warrior - for racial 'quickness'. Paladin race is up in the air...Thanks for all the help!

Warrior for better cooldowns.

I would say a warrior, for the cooldowns also they take 10% less damage in defensive stance and healers love that, Well all the healers in the guild i am in do lol

Best tank: Paladin or Warrior?

Answer: The person that has the most talent and willingness to tank, as well as gear that fits the role, and of course, the tank that shows up.

Or, answer: bear.

well if you want something alot different go paladin as the block capped state is something no other class can have 100% of the time. but we currently have a problem: lack of cd.
    btw paladins get a bit more than 10% dmg reduction flat..... just makes no difference in hard hitting bosses like in uld which makes it even...larger difference in aoe tanking.
    best suited tanks currently are the DK tanks: alot of good cd and good health/armor(heard about some nerfs). surprised no one wants you... pugs usually don't count... every guild should want you unless your gear really sucks.
    in short in my opinion given the choices is warrior. its fun to tank with one.... the problem is when you go paladin you can't go back.
    if i were you i would stay DK for a little while and prove my place. quitting isn't an option.

The obvious answer is that it doesn't really matter. You'll be better suited to different types of tanking depending on the class you choose, so base the decision on which you think you'll enjoy the most - or which you think you'll be able to play the most effectively.

Somebody already mentioned that Warriors take 10% less damage whilst in Defensive Stance, but they forgot to mention that Paladins take 9% less damage from talents (6% of that only coming if Righteous Fury is active, which it should be 100% of the time as a Paladin tank). A Paladin's Blessing of Sanctuary also grants an additional 3% damage reduction, meaning that on an individual basis they have superior damage reduction (to the tune of 2%). Obviously BoS can be placed on others, so if you had a Paladin/Warrior combination, the Warrior would have a 1% advantage in terms of damage reduction. Either way, it's not such a huge difference that you should base your class choice on it.

As a small note, however, levelling a Paladin was considerably easier than levelling a Warrior, which may be a factor in your decision.

best race if you go warr/dk/druid would be a tauren, i have no idea what would be the best for ally :P

Thanks for all the help y'all. I decided to stick with my warrior. As far as the DK my gear isn't the best, but it's a far cry from bad. Partly why I was rerolling is bc I wanted to go back to my alliance toons. I abandoned 5 70's for horde, and frankly I just lost the motivation to relevel them! My DK is Misstaken on rivendare server if you're interested in checking the gear. I partly considered rolling another DK I did love it.

Best tank warrior or pally? Personally I don't think there's a better class, it depends on the player. If you study and know your class...not a spec or toon, then you'll be the best tank. Also I am a DK tank and I'm very popular. I have had a few people crit me about being a DK by saying "oh know another crappy dk" untill they see me in action. I'm not trying to toot my own horn either, cus I know I'm not the best either. Here's my armory so you can see what the higher gear/stats look like on a DK and to give you alittle idea of what to expect. IMO you should stick to your DK but it's all what you want.

The World of Warcraft Armory

Frost DK FTW!!!!!

It's not the class it's the player and the player's knowledge of his/her class.

The problem with most DK tanks, is that they're part of the "hey, a DK, now anyone can be a tank" group. There are those of us who dps as an off spec, but are pretty good tanks with our main spec, 'cause we've taken the time to learn and didn't give up after a few bad runs and some stupid insults from the squishies.

The correct answer, DK, is not available. Please re-do your poll.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Frost DK still(after patch)? I was frost then it got nurfed and I noticed the fall....so I went Blood and I'll tell you what....WOW. Healers love it, cus of the self heals, and I can do some dps as a tank too. around 3k, WOOT.

It sucks to say, but pallys need some love right now. I think a lot of this comes from the, "Prot pallys are so OP!" QQ. Which ever you choose has a good chance of being "rebalanced" by the time you are raid ready. Many guilds do prefer warriors for MTs if that makes a difference to you.

Dwarfs, Humans, and Draenei all are decent choices for various reasons, just pick the one you can stand looking at.

The best alliance race:
    Night Elf - Free Avoidence...
    Dwarf - Stoneform Small bonus CD.
    Draenei - Hit Raid Buff (Really a matter of how many Draenei your guild has), Also the free small heal thou it is a bit to small to matter much.
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

For a warrior, best alli race is Human. 3 free expertise > a little bit of avoidance from a NE.

Anything gnome, and since pallies can't be gnomes, the answer is obvious. And Inaara is correct, the options are too limited

+ Reply to Thread