+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Specs for a warrior tank in Ulduar

Specs for a warrior tank in Ulduar

Hey what i really need to know is what specs i should have to tank ulduar. I have already done some of it but i think it was more of really good heals and fast dps. I would just like to know a good average for each of dodge, block, parry, health, and armor.

WEll the gear question has been answered here a 100 times so ..go look it up

I've been pretty happy with the standard DW spec but dropping 2 points out of focused rage and picking up imp disciplines

First off.. loose the talents in puncture. One of the less good talents of the prot tree.
    I dont understand why you go about the arms tree so half assed, if you go that far into the tree at least put 2 points in impale, preferably 3 in deep wounds as well.
    As for focused rage, its highly individual. But if you're having no problems with rage in ulduar - I suggest you put them somewhere else.

Improved disciplines is a good all round talent for the many cooldownfights of ulduar, but cruelty in fury can also give good synergy with the deep wounds/impale spec.

I think the OP was asking about the level of Dodge, Parry, Block, Health, Armor, Hit, Exp, etc., but mistakenly used "specs" where "stats" would have been more appropriate.
    AeroWow.com | ArmoryLite: Soleniae - Uldum
    The Warrior Formerly Known As Aerowyn.

I don't know what the right answer is, but I've been MT'ing with the following stats without too much problem in 10 man Ulduar. Stam is king though, especially if you're doing 25 man so you should focus on that as much as possible.

Health - 29,800 unbuffed
    Dodge - 25%
    Parry - 19.5%
    Block - 23% (yes, i know that's too much)
    Armor - 24,900

Quote Originally Posted by Gordiggan View Post
    I don't know what the right answer is, but I've been MT'ing with the following stats without too much problem in 10 man Ulduar. Stam is king though, especially if you're doing 25 man so you should focus on that as much as possible.

Health - 29,800 unbuffed
    Dodge - 25%
    Parry - 19.5%
    Block - 23% (yes, i know that's too much)
    Armor - 24,900
    Well, based on itemization that is out of your control based on the random nature of drops having 23% block isn't terrible...

Solid stats, when I started tanking Uldar in mainly 10's gear (ilevel 200 from heroics/10-mans) I wasn't at that level of health/armor and still managed... My current armory setup is my threat kit (ignore glyphs, haven't fixed them since I switched my secondary build to be another prot kit) and still meets the WoW Heroes minimum for tanking Uldar 10.

Stamina/armor are king - the bosses hit like trucks so you're going to want to push effective health as much as possible. If you are boss tanking you can probably do so at the expense of some threat stats, though if you add tank you're going to want to get these back to the soft caps (thus my running 2 prot specs until I can cover my minimum threat stats while keeping an acceptable amount of health/avoidance to progress.)

Biggensak, what is the "soft cap" for threat? How do you judge this? I need to socket my toon. Unsocketed I have roughly 22.5k hp, 543 defense. Back in 70's days I socketed all +def and had a 14.5k 5/5 tier 6 warrior with massive avoidance. A few basic buffs got me to 18k and my avoidance made tanking and threat-keeping a breeze. However at 80, I'm on a new server, new guild, and forced to pug. In my old guild they always, always gave tank a marginal amount of time to start up the threat engine and keep it solid. On DW server, its like as soon as I hit charge everyone starts attacking. I do ok on threat 99% of the time (not counting idiotic DK's who deathgrip and wonder why they got aggro) but I want to boost my threat/avoidance so I can start MT'ing Naxx 10/25. Only been in 2 qtrs Naxx and went as dps, can't wait to go as a OT/MT! Any input is greatly appreciated folks.

Oops I posted this in the wrong forum post, sorry!!

Hi Panzer,

Not sure if I worded that well, the "soft cap for threat" is not an actual term/stat.. I was thinking the combo of hit/expertise which will greatly increase your threat and ensure important skills like taunt or other snap agro tools land the first time (on top of the improved damage/threat). I would highly suggest reading the following thread, it's a fantastic guide to the Prot warrior game at level 80 which is very different in mechanics and itemization from level 70:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f56/5...nfo-links.html

As far as caps go, here's the specific info:

--

Stats

The benchmarks for warrior tanks to reach:

Defense minimum: 540+ (689 Defense Rating) You can get away with 535 in heroics but you need 540+ for Nax content and above
    Expertise soft cap: 26 (about 214 Rating - removes chance of being dodged)
    Expertise hard cap: 57 (about 468 Rating - removes chance of being parried)
    Hit cap: 263 rating (about 8%)

--

Note that the Expertise soft cap (26) does not include the +6 expertise you get from the Vitality talent deep in the Prot tree. This means you should be shooting for 20 expertise which is shown on your character sheet.

As long as you're at or above 540 DEF I'd push for a healthy chunk of expertise and hit over avoidance stats for running heroics or Nax 10 (dodge/parry/block will be found in plenty on the drops you're picking up.)

Good luck,

B

Hey i am new to site new tank also, wander if yall could help me to see if i am Ulduar mat. lol my stats go like this
    HP:31221
    Armor:23101
    Defence: 540
    Dodge:17.16
    Parry:17.37
    Block:15.60
    i know that i still have some things to work on but thats my guy unbuffed i still have a few need to get upgraded items any pointers or advise would be great ty
    Leo

@Leo - the short answer is no.

You'd find Ulduar to be pretty challenging with your gear. While your health pool is on the low side of ok, your avoidance stats will make life hard for your healing team.

You've still got blue quality gear when there are upgrades available that don't require you to be invited to ulduar raids.

Some suggested upgrades: Farm regular ToC for the Black Heart trinket.

Spend badges on:
    T8 Chest
    T8 Hat
    Platinum Mesh Cloak
    Valor bracers

Get your gear enchanted.

+defense to chest
    +defense to shield
    +defense on your NEW cloak.
    accuracy or blood draining on your sword

Your time would be more profitably spent in heroics/Naxx25 than wiping in Ulduar at this stage in your career.

TY

TY Griff I have recently upgraded a few of my blue items now i have 2 Cloak and Chest... took your advise on the avoid stats now i am almost at 20% dodge and 20%parry..... my healers say i am much easier to heal ty

+ Reply to Thread