+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Raid Burnout

Raid Burnout

We've got Ulduar on farm (gearing up for hard mode) and raiding is really becoming... boring! Often times I just feel like alt+f4ing out of a raid even when everything's going smoothly.

I've decided to put WoW down for a while (PVP is still fun and I might arena a bit, but my partner can only play after 3 am 'cause of his job)

What do you all do when you get bored of raids?

Try leveling a different class to 80. Having several characters that can raid can give you the variety to prevent WoW from getting boring.
    It has worked for me. I have a warrior (tank), paladin(healer), and a lock
    (DPS). If i get tiered raiding with one of them, I just switch to one of the
    others. Worked great when I got tiered of tanking naxx week after week.

Your not alone. And we don't even have U25 halfway yet.

I stop doing all other group encounters including the heroics that people beg you to do and level something else. Or I just take a break and only log in for raids. Every once in a while I just don't go to a raid. I just can't not go because I feel responsible to help other people get their gear and help out. I just feel it's my job in the guild to be there so it gets done for people who need stuff. Even when I had every flipping piece of tank gear in naxx I still showed up to help gear other people. I wanted to cry some night but I just keep going.

Do hard modes now - dont wait till you gear up for them. That's what they're for

Killing a boss 2 times does not make something on farm. You just did your first clear on the 20th... 10 days later isnt long enough to have something on "farm". Plus you havent killed all the bosses yet, just the easy mode ones...

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Killing a boss 2 times does not make something on farm. You just did your first clear on the 20th... 10 days later isnt long enough to have something on "farm". Plus you havent killed all the bosses yet, just the easy mode ones...
    Huh? We consider a boss on farm the moment we kill it. Not sure why a definition has to include length of time killing it.

On topic: Do hard modes. Don't wait, just do them.

I play other games when I'm not raiding.....or do fun things like push my wife down the stairs ( yes I'm kidding :P )

But when I feel burned out I try and stay away from all the boring things about mmos like farming and just show up for the raids. It doesn't take long before something catches your interest and you're back full time. But everyone needs a break and if you leave it too long and have a total burn out you fall so far behind when you come back......because.....everyone comes back

It's pretty common for people to get bored of raiding once they get their 4-piece + weapon or something, it's the loot and scoot syndrome, if you've cleared ulduar you probably have the mentioned items.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    Huh? We consider a boss on farm the moment we kill it. Not sure why a definition has to include length of time killing it.

On topic: Do hard modes. Don't wait, just do them.
    Just because you can do something once does not mean its "farm". For most all uses of something you have on "farm" status it means that you have it down on a regular basis without difficulty. You can get lucky and down a boss once, and then spend the next 6 weeks wiping on that same boss, that does not mean you had the boss on "farm" status.

I have yet to ever encounter some one that uses the term "farm" to mean they downed the encounter one time. Also unless you have exactly the same raid makeup of the exact same players ever week without exception, each time you kill the boss is a "different group", but when you are able to consistently down the boss with a group of people, maybe not the same exact people, then its a farm boss.

Keep in mind the term farming came from the idea of repeatedly killing a mob/mobs to get the loot you wanted.

I think a big reason for Ulduar burn outs is because of Ulduar 10 man...

I've gotta say trying to round up my tier in 10 man Ulduar is very irratating after spending 5 days in Ulduar 25 already, I mean Naxx was a one day clear leaving you to do 10 man Naxx whenever you wanted.

Now back in the days before wrath is was cool doing SSC and TK all week and then doing ZA later on an off night. Much like how MC and ZG were in the past.

Regardless now we're just running the same instance twice which gets tedious. I still think that normal modes should be a different variation of the dungeon, a more cloak and dagger approach to the instance, encountering some of the same bosses in different situations and places, etc.

We also consider a Boss on "farm" as soon as they are down once... the reason why.. once we drop a boss once successfully we get them every time we try from then on out. (yes we will have the odd wipe on an encounter we have on farm, like when one of the tanks (not me) get's to close to KT as he explains the encounter to a few puggs)

As to the OP... hard mode as soon as you down a boss even once.. why not better loot and , well keeps it fresh

I consider an encounter to be on farm once we kill it for the first time with the majority of the raid alive, no major fuckups, and a relatively smooth and controlled kill.

people play for loot, they might not admit it but they'll do w/e to get that piece then the excitment wears off. It happens to all of us at one point or another, that's why eventually (if you happen to survive it), you tend to view loot as just a purple item with numbers on it. I rarely do ulduar 10 because 25s, +10hard modes will just burn me right out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    I have yet to ever encounter some one that uses the term "farm" to mean they downed the encounter one time.
    You encountered one in this thread and promptly trolled them. Two others, including me, agree with the OP's terminology. Regardless, the word has nothing to do with the OP's point, so it's a pointless and dumb reason for you to start an argument. Before posting, please ask yourself, "will I say something smart and helpful in this thread?"

I have a variety of alt's which mostly keep me from getting bored, however I'm no where near the point the OP is in finishing Ulduar and even then there's gear to be had. The challenge with the game now is people do seem to burn out quicker, thus people hoping for gear drops have to hope it drops quickly because they risk not having a shot at it at all due to people dropping off because of boredom.

OP - I transfer Characters to Garrosh to pester Ciderhelm on my down time.

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    You encountered one in this thread and promptly trolled them. Two others, including me, agree with the OP's terminology. Regardless, the word has nothing to do with the OP's point, so it's a pointless and dumb reason for you to start an argument. Before posting, please ask yourself, "will I say something smart and helpful in this thread?"
    I have no idea why you made thsi reply regarding his comment on the farm status.
    I, for one, completely agree with what he said, you can't just down a boss once and then declare you have it on farm.
    I don't see any reason why you would behave all hostile like this towards him...

Quote Originally Posted by Inaara View Post
    OP - I transfer Characters to Garrosh to pester Ciderhelm on my down time.
    This is where you victory!

I'm having some problems maintaining interest in Ulduar too... alot of that has to do with the constant nerfing of the content, some has to do with seeing the same bosses over and over because we often can't get enough people online to do the night when we might make progress...

and a large part of it has to do with the toon I am playing.. i am just not enjoying the current state of Warrior DPS or tanking. Leveling an alt to mess about with and perhaps run for a while is helping with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Biertank View Post
    I have no idea why you made thsi reply regarding his comment on the farm status.
    I, for one, completely agree with what he said, you can't just down a boss once and then declare you have it on farm.
    I don't see any reason why you would behave all hostile like this towards him...
    actually i gotta say with a lot of Ulduar normal modes, you can. Once you get the strat, and execute it.. it's pretty cake to redo that same strat with the same people.

I get the "make the content accessable to everyone", but making it too basic turns a lot of people off too.

constant class balance flux is annoying on top of that.

Nerf PVP to it's own rule sets on it's own servers and stablilise PVE i vote.

+ Reply to Thread