+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Play Styles and Healing Specs

Play Styles and Healing Specs

I'm a firm believer that play styles should affect your talent tree and your talent tree should affect your play style. I'm wondering if it would be possible to make this thread a compilation of talent spec and play style combos to help players match their play style to their spec. I'm currently playing a disc priest.

My spec is The World of Warcraft Armory

I am primarily a single target healer, usually on the main tank in a raid. The way I usually heal the MT is listed below.

1. Before the pull I cast Power Word:Shield and Prayer of Mending on the tank. I do this because if it is done out of combat it will not generate any threat. Also the debuff on Power Word:Shield will last less during the first part of combat because some of it has ticked off before the pull.

2. I cast renew on the MT. The reasons I do this is because it will even out some of the damage the tank takes and his health bar won't jump around as much. It also allows me to not spam heals since this will provide me a buffer to get off a penance in case the tank takes a big hit. This saves me quite a bit of mana.

3. Every few seconds I throw a Flash Heal. I don't however spam it. I wait until the tank takes more damage than the renew can handle but less than what a penance would heal.

4. Because of the cool down with penance I save it for emergencies, usually when the MT gets down close to half health. I don't use it unless the tank gets down to 60% or lower because I want it available when needed. Between 60% and 95% I'll just use Flash heal because I want to get Inspiration to proc and give the tank %25 more armor. Flash heal will give me more chances for it to proc since I have to cast it more often.

5. If another healer in the raid is having problems dealing with the damage in a fight I will try to help out by using a Power Word: Shield and a renew on their target when possible.

6. I very rarely use pain suppression and never on the MT since it reduces threat. The only time I use it is if a dps has pulled aggro.

7. Because I have Inspiration, Divine Aegis, and Improved Power Word: Shield in my talents most of my benefit is for damage mitigation and not healing. I'm usually around 4th on amount healed in raids but I am trusted to keep the MT up in Ulduar.

8. I very rarely run out of mana and when I do, I use shadowfiend first as in long fights it may be usable again before the end of the combat, then I'll pot if shadowfiend is on CD and I still need mana. Usually shadowfiend will come back from cooldown before the mana from the pot is gone.

I'm interested in other specs and play styles because I know mine may not be optimal in certain situations and I would like to set my 2nd spec to try to cover those situations.

Auntflo

Quote Originally Posted by Auntflo View Post
    1. Before the pull I cast Power Word:Shield and Prayer of Mending on the tank. I do this because if it is done out of combat it will not generate any threat.
    The prayer of mending will cause threat against you when it heals not when you cast it, and a shield at the start of the fight hurts a warriors rage generation.

6. I very rarely use pain suppression and never on the MT since it reduces threat. The only time I use it is if a dps has pulled aggro.
    The threat reduce is minimal, and unless your tank is within a few % of a dps pulling it off, it wont cause any threat problems, but the damage reduce of it is godly on enrages and heavy hits like frozen blows

8. I very rarely run out of mana and when I do, I use shadowfiend first as in long fights it may be usable again before the end of the combat, then I'll pot if shadowfiend is on CD and I still need mana. Usually shadowfiend will come back from cooldown before the mana from the pot is gone.
    Dont forget you also have hymm of hope for mana regen

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    The prayer of mending will cause threat against you when it heals not when you cast it, and a shield at the start of the fight hurts a warriors rage generation.
    As far as I've experienced there's no threat issue with PoM. As long as the tanks use their respective opening moves and maintain threat (not to mention the threat modifiers, too) I can't see how PoM in itself would pull aggro.

Am pretty sure they fixed the shield screwing over Rage generation. Either way, Rapture does give rage/mana/runic power back to the shielded target when the shield is broken.
    And look at it this way, against a raid boss a shield would only last a few hits so I hardly doubt it would be overly gimping rage generation by that much (but I'm assuming here, any Warrior tanks are free to chime in).

2. I cast renew on the MT. The reasons I do this is because it will even out some of the damage the tank takes and his health bar won't jump around as much. It also allows me to not spam heals since this will provide me a buffer to get off a penance in case the tank takes a big hit. This saves me quite a bit of mana.
    I'm not a Renew fan mainly because it doesn't benefit from Rapture and most of the time the ticks end up overhealing (although this does depend on the healer setup). At best I'd say using it is rather situational (e.g. Maexxna before she does Web Spray). One of the things about Disc Priest is that they're good for healing up damage spikes.

5. If another healer in the raid is having problems dealing with the damage in a fight I will try to help out by using a Power Word: Shield and a renew on their target when possible.
    There's no issue with this. However I do tend to toss off a Flash Heal and even a Penance if their health is dangerously low. As I mentioned, Disc is extremely good for healing up a large chunk of HP in a few seconds.

Have to disagree here. The threat reduction is not that much of a big deal except maybe on fights where DPS gain buffs from NPCs/boss mechanics up to the point where their pure damage output is enough to pull threat off a tank (and this happens really rarely, to begin with). I think also the 5% applies to the threat generated through the duration of the buff, instead of a flat 5% reduction to overall threat.

To me, it's just an external Shield Wall.

I'm interested in other specs and play styles because I know mine may not be optimal in certain situations and I would like to set my 2nd spec to try to cover those situations.
    The Disc tree has little leeway with regards to talents. A lot of Priests dual spec Disc/Holy in order to use the more appropriate healing style for certain bosses/situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthras View Post
    As far as I've experienced there's no threat issue with PoM. As long as the tanks use their respective opening moves and maintain threat (not to mention the threat modifiers, too) I can't see how PoM in itself would pull aggro.
    PoM (like any heal) generates threat on all mobs in range of the healed target when the heal goes off. If the first mob to reach your tank smacks him and activates the heal, the threat gets generated on the other mobs still in closing distance, which then switch their aggro to you. A decent tank will be able to grab them anyway, but will quickly get annoyed with you if you keep doing it. If you insist on PoMing pre-pull, at least position yourself so that the tank will be between you and the mobs, so they don't take off in another direction.

Am pretty sure they fixed the shield screwing over Rage generation. Either way, Rapture does give rage/mana/runic power back to the shielded target when the shield is broken.
    Correct.

I'm not a Renew fan mainly because it doesn't benefit from Rapture and most of the time the ticks end up overhealing (although this does depend on the healer setup). At best I'd say using it is rather situational (e.g. Maexxna before she does Web Spray).
    Right. Also, most disc specs don't put points into Improved Renew anyway, so it's not the most efficient spell we have (unlike Holy specs). My renews usually end up on warlocks, because they love being able to life tap and get the health back right away.

Have to disagree here. The threat reduction is not that much of a big deal except maybe on fights where DPS gain buffs from NPCs/boss mechanics up to the point where their pure damage output is enough to pull threat off a tank (and this happens really rarely, to begin with).
    Pain suppression is godly. 40% less damage taken for the duration? YES PLEASE. Any tank worth his salt will be well ahead on threat in a situation where this cooldown is warranted (boss encounters), so the threat reduction isn't a concern. This talent is right there with Holy's Guardian Spirit as a wipe saver. Use this right before a stun or during a frenzy and life is much easier.

The Disc tree has little leeway with regards to talents. A lot of Priests dual spec Disc/Holy in order to use the more appropriate healing style for certain bosses/situations.
    I actually dual spec shadow, for more versatility. Holy may be better at aoe healing, but I can and will raid heal without too much problem. Being able to throw up a shield every GCD, and having hasted flash heals and penances, makes disc viable for nearly every situation. This spec has been much improved from the PVP-centric days.

The main difference between discipline and holy is when your heals count. Discipline is being able to predict incoming damage, and shielding/pomming accordingly, and filling in the gaps with penance and flash heals. Holy lends itself better to being reactionary, keeping the big greater heals in the pipe, rolling renews, and flash healing the little chunks. To use a visual, playing as holy is like playing whack-a-mole; discipline is setting up the gopher trap before he even sticks his head out.
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

Also, another quick note for Auntflo -

Taking a look at your spec, if you are doing strictly PvE healing (which is my guess), you can drop Relfective Shield and pick up Focused Power instead. RS only works on yourself, and you ideally won't be getting hit anyway. FP gives you an additional 4% healing and a very fast mass dispel.
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

I wouldn't worry about putting PoM, PW:S, renews, or even pain suppression on the tank before a pull or during a fight. Hopefully, your tank has a good grasp of how to gain and keep aggro and you DPS knows to allow the tank to gain a certain amount before starting in on a mob/boss. If you do happen to pull one or two little adds off the tank during his pull, just fade and by the time you fade back in the tank will have more than enough control.

I'm learning Disc but have been running as holy for about a year. As holy I spec/glyph into anything that will benefit my top three spells (Flash heal, PoH, and CoH) and will increase the chance of a Holy Concentration proc.

In Ulduar I personally feel that Serendipity and Test of Faith are a must. If I were still running Naxx I'd put more points into Body and Soul since diseases were everywhere, but I feel one point in B&S and one in Emp. Renew are enough for the bosses I am raiding now. I also tend to switch that B&S point to SoL when I don't need the speed boost from my shield (Kologarn's beams).

My play style is heavy on FH, keeping Serendipity up incase PoH is needed.
    PoM is always bouncing (aim at people who are taken AOE dmg like Stone Grip).
    CoH every CD.
    Renews on the tank/off tank.
    An Angel at the ready if targets are being taunted back and fourth.
    Oh, and I am always making sure not to die from stupid stuff, those raid frames can be hypnotizing. O_o

The World of Warcraft Armory

Quote Originally Posted by Bryenne View Post
    To use a visual, playing as holy is like playing whack-a-mole; discipline is setting up the gopher trap before he even sticks his head out.
    Exactly Someone needs to create a raid frame specifically for us holy priests. Instead of depleting health bars a little gopher icon needs to appear at a certain health percentage for me to smack with a foam mallet. Whack-a-mole UI.

Quote Originally Posted by Amallthia View Post
    Exactly Someone needs to create a raid frame specifically for us holy priests. Instead of depleting health bars a little gopher icon needs to appear at a certain health percentage for me to smack with a foam mallet. Whack-a-mole UI.
    OMG that would be a spectacular UI. It would probably end up being a variation of Healbot (which I despise), with a gopher icon (2 different versions, for FH or GH) popping on the player frame, and your mouse pointer changed to look like a mallet.

That would be awesome. Programmers, get on it!
    Makepõ - Cold Hearted
    Bryenne - Disc Jockey.

I chose my dual spec setup based on my role in our guild's healing team. Our usual setup is 1 Shaman, 2 Druids, 3 Priests. The other two Priests like raid healing and are Holy, so my usual job is tank healing.

Primary Spec - Disc Priest
    I use this spec to MT heal on most progression fights. If the MT is taking significant damage I spam heals on him. I stack lots of crit to maximize Inspiration and DA uptime on the tank. Overhealing is totally acceptable now that DA stacks up to 10k absorb. If there is a phase change and the fight shifts to more raid damage, I PW:S/Penance dps with low health.

Pre-pull: PW:S every tank, Penance/FH until I get at least one crit to proc Inspiration/DA.

Spam Rotation: not really a rotation, just a priority order for when things are off cooldown - PW:S > Penance > PoM > FH (BH if I have taken damage)

Tools: Pain Suppression I use as an extra cooldown for the MT. PI gets saved to be used on DPS during those "lust moments" where the raid is sated (or lust is being saved). Divine Hymn (macro'd with Inner Focus) gets used the first time the raid gets dangerously low in health. On short fights I save Shadowfiend until I'm low on mana, but for fights longer than 6 minutes I try to make use of it early so it can be used again later in the fight. Hymn of Hope I save for the middle of the fight, preferably during a phase change where there is no incoming damage.

Spell Warding over Divine Fury?: Yes. The only reason to take Divine Fury is if you use Greater Heal and/or Smite. I use neither. Most raid damage these days is magic, and taking 10% less of it can be a big deal.

What about Renew?: It's simply not needed. I let the Druids and other Priests in our guild handle the HoTs because they've spec'd for it. My job is to mitigate damage on the MT.

Secondary Spec - Holy Priest
    I use this spec on fights where raid damage is much more of a concern than tank damage. It is more suited for tank healing than a Renew based Holy Spec, and includes Body and Soul for niche uses on a few fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryenne View Post
    OMG that would be a spectacular UI. It would probably end up being a variation of Healbot (which I despise), with a gopher icon (2 different versions, for FH or GH) popping on the player frame, and your mouse pointer changed to look like a mallet.

That would be awesome. Programmers, get on it!
    I agree, no healbot rip off, I'd rather have gopher holes that come in class colors (bigger ones for tanks). If they are at full health, no gopher.

Better yet... the gophers change color signifying the best spell to use. Say the there are some ranged dps all taking some silly aoe dmg... since they are in the same area their gophers would change color to show that CoH or PoM would be best cast on them. Different colors for gophers who just need a renew or flash heal... Then there could be the red angry gopher waving his paws around like "zomg! pop an Angel/Pain Suppression on me NOW!"

Wow, way too excited about this... lmao

Oh and BTW, /agree with NewfieDave, I dual spec based on what my guild needs. I was holy/shadow for those fights that only need a couple healers and lots of dps. Now it seems all of our guild's healers are in hiding so I have switched incase we need the goodies that come with a Disc priest

There are several reasons I don't use Pain Suppression on our MT.

Our dps has out geared most of our tanks and can pull aggro pretty easily. Second our main tanks are warriors, and when they are trying to hold aggro on multiple targets a 5% reduction of threat to all targets makes it that much harder to hold that aggro. I've seen one of our dps crit for 20k 4 times in a row in the first 10 seconds of a fight against Hodir. (Yes he pulled aggro and got 1 shotted)

When your guild is constantly flirting with that aggro pull to get max dps it doesn't really make sense to use something that reduces that ability for the entire raid by 5%. Especially when I don't have any problems keeping the tank up without using it.

I agree that if I wasn't able to keep the tank up that I would need to use it, but since that is not a problem I just don't see the need to reduce the max dps for the entire raid by 5%.

Also I guess I'm one of the few disc priests that took improved renew. I just like the ability to use Power Word: Shield and Renew on a raid member. After that I can pretty much ignore their health for awhile and go back to healing the tank, and since they are both instant casts it means I can get back to healing the tank faster.

Your tank needs to learn how to play then. And gear himself up and spec better for your group then. Hodir is the only fight i ever have a threat problem as a warrior tank, so i dont think thats a fair fight to judge threat mechanics. But if your dps is threat capped its the tanks problem not yours as a healer. As long as your tank has never died at all in a raid situation and you can make sure he will never die before you in a raid situation then your fine not using cooldowns to keep him alive.

Also the threat is an instant 5% threat reduce, so unless your melee is at 105% of your tanks threat or your range is at 125% threat then it will not cause them to pull agro. I find haveing a rogue tricks me or a hunter FD to me will easily make up for that 5% loss in most situations.

+ Reply to Thread