Thread: 10 man Hodir

10 man Hodir

whats the trick to 10 man Hodir? my guild has no problem killing him on 25 man but on 10 man there's just so much damage going around during the frozen blows that it cause alot of difficulty for our groups. and if you don't have 2 dispellers it seems impossible.

Don't fail on the falling ice. But you will need an absolutely pro healer.
    The priest NPC dispells afaik ( perhaps you're not freeing the adds fast enough ? ).

You need one priest in raid and free npc priest asap.If you using npc buffs properly this is the most easy of all 4 watchers.
    Last edited by Peca; 05-26-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Try it with 3 healers and with your raid wearing about 300 FR (with totems/auras). The FR makes a massive differences during Frozen Blows.

we always use 3 healers.

1 paladin, 1 holy/disc priest/resto druid.

Me, the tank, has got just over 300 frost resi taking only 9k frost hits or even less. We have the priest mass dispelling and the pally dispelling single targets it needed.

We 1 shot hodir every time..it is not a big problem tbh

To be completely honest, I am not sure how much we actually dispel in this encounter. In 25 man I can call for a freedom as the tank but I do not remember the last time I did.

The issue with Hodir is training your dps to free the NPCs rather than dpsing him. The NPCS are what makes him killable in a decent amount of time. They are also what gives you access to your free dispeller.

The biggest thing to remember here is that many races and classes have methods to escape out of movement impairing effects. Blink, Teleport, Escape Artist, Every Man For Himself are all examples of this.

However, if the Frost Nova is really killing you, you can start putting Frost Resist on your raid members. As well as having those without a get outa jail free card, a trinket such as Titan-Forged Rune of Determination. Using either one of these methods is not ideal in anyway, but if you are having issues with survival, this may allow you to breach the gap until you can get better gear and learn the fight to a degree they are unneeded.

I would ask what healers you are bringing and how many? If you are trying to rely on two healers for the encounter changing it to 3 is your first step in the right direction. Ulduar itself was pretty much designed from the ground up with the belief that you would have access to 3 healers for at least some of the fights. (Dual-spec go!) This particular encounter is much easier with 3 and can be done both on normal and the hard mode speed kill with 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
    To be completely honest, I am not sure how much we actually dispel in this encounter
    he freezes random ppl to the floor(not ice blocks) but like the freezes as in the last boss of nexus heroic...you need to dispell that fast orelse the stacks start building and you can start with wiping.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    whats the trick to 10 man Hodir? my guild has no problem killing him on 25 man but on 10 man there's just so much damage going around during the frozen blows that it cause alot of difficulty for our groups. and if you don't have 2 dispellers it seems impossible.
    Always, always, always free the NPC's. Range - always stand next to the bonfires. If you don't have the bonfire buff, don't fail at the falling ice. 300 FrR + Pally aura. And 3 healers.

We've only done 10 man but we had it down after about 5 tries. Keeping those NPC's free means you don't have to have a dispeller, and freeing the mage everytime helps ALOT to thaw everyone else out. The biggest thing in the fight is making sure everyone uses the buffs correctly. Ranged is best clustering around the bonfires (healers AND DPS), because they greatly reduce interruptions and can apply quick damage and debuffs. Melee gets the circles of light, which the boss should be moved to when convenient. Frost resist will make it easier for the healers to concentrate on the people taking lots of damage, like the tank. 3 healers... nuff said. So far we haven't gotten to the point where we feel comfortable with only 2 healers. Maybe after we get more T8 gear piled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Denaro View Post
    he freezes random ppl to the floor(not ice blocks) but like the freezes as in the last boss of nexus heroic...you need to dispell that fast orelse the stacks start building and you can start with wiping.
    If you keep the NPC's free, the priest NPC will dispel that debuff quickly.

we were using 3 healers a pally, a shaman and a druid. we free the npc's immediately but each frozen blow out healers simply have difficulty keeping up with all the damage. my first thought is maybe you just can't do this with a single dispeller if the dispeller isn't a priest.

also another question so i can get this right for the next time we do this. i've read you can do this easily with one tank so how much FrR should i have without buffs? (if you need a different amount between 10 and 25 man let me know as well)

also is there any certain way i should gem my frost resist gear.
    Last edited by Thad; 05-26-2009 at 06:50 PM.

We use a single frost resist piece for helping the healers plus paladin's aura. More than enough for us. Our MT uses 2 pieces if I remember correctly. We have 3 healers on 10-man, so is not that hard even w/o frost resist, but we aren't trying the hards mode, so we take it easy.
    Follow the Moeko Principle.