+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New laptop

New laptop

So I got an internship to Intel over the summer and I'll get paid enough to get a new laptop of my choice. My first choice was to buy from Alienware/Dell, but after asking around a few people have recommended a Sony Vaio. What's a solid laptop that I'll be able to use for gaming, but also use for school work?

1) How big do you want the screen?
    2) How well do you want to play Warcraft?
    3) Ball park on what you want to spend?
    If we donít make it alive, well itís a hell of a good day to die
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hadgar&n=Angur

Well I'll have about $2k to spend, but I'd to go up to $2500 (after taxes and such I'll have about $3500 or so from my internship) Screen size I'd be happy with 17in. And for how well for gaming, something that can handle max settings. Like I said also, it needs to be used for school work and such.

Falcon Northwest Configurator

Thats the laptop of my choice :P

Ok. The reason why I asked is because if your carrying it around a lot for school and you have a 17+ inch screen laptop in your backpack all day... it gets heavy.

TBH, Brandname really isnt important. Anything can break down. If your looking for a good gaming laptop you will probably want something:

Screen: 17inch

Processor: CORE 2 DUO
    (The Quad CORE's just came out on the market. However with a lot of processing power they over-heat like crazy and the battery life sucks. You only need a CORE 2 DUO processor for WOW to play it well so dont get sucked in).

RAM: 4 GIG's is all that you need. You might want to go to 6 for the extra speed, although you wont see much difference unless your running high end programs.

Hard-drive: 500gig Hard-Drive (for school and screwing around with).

Graphics Card: Go with a Gforce Nvidia Card. I do not care what other people say about Raedon Cards. Nvidia is MADE for gaming. If you're looking for a good card a Nvidia 9800 GT OC will play WOW with 60fps. A lot of custom laptop website (Alienware / Dell ) offer higher cards but it will eventually over-heat.

Laptops were never made for gaming but although there great for portability. If I were you I wouldnt spend close to $1600 on a laptop. For gaming + doing school work it might only last you 2+ years.

If school and gaming is important to you, you could get away with a top of the line gaming machine (Desktop) for $1000 with an Nvidia 260/280 card that is better than 2x 9800 in crossfire which plays WOW in 60fpsin Ultra settings and buy a $799 laptop for school.

For hard drive, it is important to get a 7200 rpm drive instead of a slower 5200 drive.

As far as graphics cards go, your brand of laptop will determine what type of video card you can use. Also just because a card is more powerful that does not mean it will overheat.

Theres quite a few laptops on the market now made for gaming they are called desktop replacements.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    For hard drive, it is important to get a 7200 rpm drive instead of a slower 5200 drive.

As far as graphics cards go, your brand of laptop will determine what type of video card you can use. Also just because a card is more powerful that does not mean it will overheat.

Theres quite a few laptops on the market now made for gaming they are called desktop replacements.
    Yes it does actually. Laptops dont have the room for circulation. My desktop has 4 fans in the computer and every once in awhile when a lot of stuff is going down it will restart.

Same thing goes for laptops if you push it. Except there isnt 4-5 fans in a laptop. They have tiny little holes to remove heat. Any brand you go with: HP, Compaq, Dell, Sony, Acer, ect, can come with all certain types of cards + upgrades. They can build it the way you want it from the manufactuer.

"Desktop Replacements", just because it says "Gaming Laptop" doesnt mean its good... lol. Just like "Sports Car", doesnt mean its good. Its just over-priced and not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    Falcon Northwest Configurator

Thats the laptop of my choice :P
    wow $8,000 huh o.O

I would never recommend a Dell desktop, but the laptops are fine, especially with all the great online coupons available out there. If you're not getting an 'employee' discount with them or won't be able to persuade anyone that works there to get one you can still get a great deal.

For that kind of money and screen size this is basically going to be a desktop replacement.

I recommend this website for some Dell deals.

The W90 has great reviews on the overclocking site I frequent, the c90 not so much. This one comes with 6GB of RAM which you DO NOT need and a 4870X2 which is faster than a Nvidia SLI set up with GTX 290's in most games. It has a huge screen for a laptop so will be much heavier than most lappy's, but besides that you'll be happy with it. Like Angur recommended this comes with a Intel Core 2 Quad
    as well. Basically saying this will kick WoW's ass and last for years. Battery life you can research on your own, but I bet it's damn low. It's only listed for $2199 also so fits nicely in your budget.
    Blackrock||Horde|Noth|UD Warrior
    Sen'jin/Blackrock||Alliance/Horde|Ciani|NE/BE Hunter

sagernotebooks.com

thats what i have.

+ Reply to Thread