+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior PvP Video - Prots Potential

Prot Warrior PvP Video - Prots Potential

This is from my WoW Forums post in warrior forums:

Hey,

I made this prot pvp video to show its potential =P This part is just mainly duels - I'll try and make a strictly arena version soon (the matches most of the time take forever lol). This was for fun and again to show off what prot potentially do O_O

YouTube - WoW wotlk Lvl 80 TInytankz Warrior Prot PvP

The quality is eh >< Windows Movie Maker is bad rofl

In the Video:
    Im in mostly all shield block value gear; I've tried prot pvp with pvp gear and while I do collect it I found it doesn't work =/ I run with about 1898 Block Value.

Any other Prot PvP people? :
    As an update I did manage to hit 1850 as prot war / resto druid =)

Nice video Now time to hit 2k eh? Looks like from your armory you are going back to Arms now?

I have also hit 1850 as prot war/resto druid and I have a feeling we could easily break 2k with more games. Add a few gear upgrades for both of us and I think that could go even higher depending on what matchup we get in the queue (see later). I have tried different gear setups and it honestly doesn't seem to make a huge difference (except in the randomness of games/how long games last):

Heavy block value:
    I ran a 1600ish block value set for a while. Problem is that it leaves you with only ~10% unbuffed base crit which makes the matches really really long and it is hard to pressure the other team into using cooldowns. You gain a lot of survivability vs melee, but typically this isn't a huge benefit.

PvP+PvE dps gear:
    I dropped down to no gear with block value (and no T7 bonus), 300resilience and all STR/crit/armor pen gear (1100ish block value, 29% crit, 20% armor pen). This made almost every matchup winnable and it significantly reduced the length of matches. Overall more fun too. You do run the risk of being focused by a ret+dps with this setup, but with careful use of cooldowns and a smart healer this isn't a problem.

We absolutely destroy 2dps setups, any kind of caster setup, and can beat most ret/warrior/rogue+healer setups. The only teams that give us problems are DK teams, mainly because DK survivability/peeling is just too high. Most DK matches last 10-30minutes because neither team runs any risk of dying or going OOM. My druid runs dreamstate so we try to find a good time to CC+switch burst, which usually works. However, if it is a paladin or druid healer they can usually recover and basically reset the fight. We have yet to find a strategy to beating DK+pally/DK+druid other than to play for 30 minutes and wait for them to make a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by zaon View Post
    Nice video Now time to hit 2k eh? Looks like from your armory you are going back to Arms now?
    Thanks =) I may end up doing that but not until we've gotten walled really hard with our prot 2s combo. I did want to try out this new weapon tho, but to be honest I find my prot burst to be higher atm (not constantly but in spikes). I also want to push 2s as prot because if I go MS in arena I'll just end up being just another warrior with a druid thats MS xD I do like defeating these MS/Druid teams as Prot/Druid >: )

Quote Originally Posted by zaon View Post
    We have yet to find a strategy to beating DK+pally/DK+druid other than to play for 30 minutes and wait for them to make a mistake.
    Yes! I hate this lol ; one thing I did find with druids however is they tend to stop hotting themselves when its time for intervate; What I try to do and pray they dont have trinket up is to save recklessness for this momment and they should just drop in between a stun lock. I fear the paladins the most >.< At least running with full block value I really don't do much to make the paladin worry; only thing we can hope for is that they LoS eachother.

I do agree with the double dps teams; they are tasty candy rofl; if mage/rogue contiues to rise this set up alone can be boosted by their success xD (or any other double dps combo)

Thanks for the comments.

Unless you guys really like your healers, try running a burst team, that's something, with our stunlock and potential shield slam burst in block gear + recklessness.
    anyways try watching my movie, it will show prots potential if you go for shield slam all the way

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q77VDpuGlWM"]YouTube - Thagonzo - Protection warrior 1vs2 skirmish[/ame]

It's awesome

You guys should try playing together with another dps, our stun/silence lock together with another class that might even be able to add something more is quite crazy - I play prot warrior + Blood dk, and a 7 sec stunlock (maybe + charge in the start) add the dk silence then another charge and a gag order + a lucky revenge stun with shield block and recklessness up while your partner blow cd's (such as dancing rune wep and you'll see destruction) if it's a pala you swiftly remove the bubble since you play with tactical mastery and finish him off.

Managed to get 2088 rating together with a deathknight, we just played for fun, but it ended up with us having the 4th highest rating as warrior + dk in the world we changed server to ravencrest(eu) and now we're struggling to get past 1900 though..

together with a dk my experiences with teams is that any healer combos are hard, but possible, it mostly depends if we can get him down in the stun/silence lock and on how good the partner is at protecting the healer (ret pala combos are close to impossible)

Against burst teams we have the advantage, but a well played mage/rogue can win once in a while.
    Last edited by Thagonz; 05-25-2009 at 01:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread