+ Reply to Thread

Thread: wich is best for DK tanking?

wich is best for DK tanking?

What is the best spec for DK Tanking? Most say Frost soo i wen't frost, but now i hear that unholy is best for AoE and keeping aggro, soo idk what soo good about unholy, there unholy blight?? we frost tanks have howling blast (massive damage on all target's) idk what is best, any of you know?

grtz, mhateron

Got a question? Try here: Evil Empire Guides and here: Tankspot Guides and Articles Library first!

Quote Originally Posted by Satrina View Post
    Well met!

True Knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
    Agg's tanking guide

Unholy is good for AoE mostly because of morbidity, unholy blight, ebon plague, desecration, etc.

I've tanked with all specs, and regarding threat output, in my opinion the best is Unholy, followed by Frost and Blood in the last place. The thing is, you're still an awesome AoE tank as Frost (I never had anyone pull adds off me when I was frost), and a pretty good one as Blood (I'm currently Blood, and though I have to pay more attention, I have no problem AoE tanking).

For single target threat, in my experience they are reversed: blood takes the first place, followed by frost and unholy in the last place.

This makes Frost a very good choice because it has very good balance between great AoE and great Single target threat, and it has some very useful talents for damage reduction. In the end, all 3 specs are not only viable, but are also very effective, and they're also slightly different playstyles, I advice you play around with the 3, and decide which one you like the most, but Frost is probably a good starting point.

The eternal question. I think the conventional wisdom is for single threat blood is best but for multi-threat frost or unholy. Personally, I think they're all fine if played/geared properly - it's not the wand, it's the magician.

Why choose? With dual spec now you can have it all! I have an MT single-target boss Blood build, and a trash AoE Frost build. I've never been a fan of Unholy, but that's just personal preference. I love the self healing and huge healthpool of blood, and I love the insane snap AoE threat and extra avoidance of frost. In terms of damage cooldowns Unholy is the worst, Bone Shield is very weak in comparison to Frigid Dreadplate and the healing of blood specced DS.

Again though, it comes down to personal preference, just make sure you choose the right talents and you'll (hopefully) be fine.

+ Reply to Thread