+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Y the heck am I dying so fast ?

Y the heck am I dying so fast ?

Hi guys,

I normally dont ask for advice on tanking with my warr but right now I am going crazy cause my fellow feral and DK tanks in my guild survive easily where I simply die in seconds in Ulduar. To some degree it is because of sleepy healers but since Ulduar came out it seems like I am a papertank but I cant believe that with my gear I can die so hilariously often.

This is my amory link, hope right now my former standard gear is in, I sometimes play prot pvp so dont wander if it looks totally screwed up: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kel%27Thuzad&n=Grumpy

When LK came out I started heavily gettin block equip but since it provides nuttin but pain especially in Ulduar I collected everything and tried different directions in concerns of avoidance, mitigation and EH or CDs. Right now I even made an armor set, to get more mitigation but didnt come to test it very much.

Well maybe this can be over if i ask the right questions:

1. Block sucks right now; is armor a better mitigation and does it make sense to stack armor/EH rather than block/EH ?

2. I never liked the idea of an only avoidance gear since there is still a big chance to get 3 or more hits in a row and it drives healers crazy; but does it now make sense at leat on some bosses to stack avoidance and only avoidance ?

3. Or being more precise is it a good idea to stack gear in just one direction, making them only work for one purpose and leaving the chance of using them in broader spectrum behind(and dont come with u can swap 1 or 2 items to make it viable for other purposes)? I mean enchanting and gems being in all slots just for avoidance or threat or EH.

4. AFAIK a lot of tanks in good guilds stack expertise to the extreme in order to get a high amount of aggro; y dont they die so fast ?!?

Hope this thread doesnt exist already, but as I told before, posting here came to my mind only because I donno much to do else.

Good luck with tanking ulduar as a warrior. Our druids & dks regularly outtank warriors by a large degree. We just simply dont use warriors except for minor jobs atm - certainly not on bosses. Now the tankspot videos on this site feature warriors tanking everything - including even hardmodes! - so I know it can be done. To me, however, it just seems a hell of a lot more difficult, putting a much bigger strains on your raid. Hopefully they fix it before warrriors disappear from the tanking scene.

I'm sort of glad its like this - it forces guilds to try out other tanks, and that's a good thing. But warriors are so squishy right now, its humiliating, and its been a long time.

I think that rather than stacking avoidance over EH or vice-versa, you should try finding a good balance. Once you have a lot of health, adding a little avoidance to reduce the string of hits you receive will pay off.

I will say that from my experiences in Ulduar so far as a Paladin the only Boss I've struggled on with my Paladin had been General, and it hasn't been a survival issue so much as a threat issue since I only gain mana back from Spiritual Attunement (BoSanc / JoW / SoW / Divine Plea are disabled for the encounter).

If you pick your gear for each encounter (and using equipment manager you can set up a gear combination for each boss very easily) you should do fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lga45 View Post
    Good luck with tanking ulduar as a warrior. Our druids & dks regularly outtank warriors by a large degree. We just simply dont use warriors except for minor jobs atm - certainly not on bosses. Now the tankspot videos on this site feature warriors tanking everything - including even hardmodes! - so I know it can be done. To me, however, it just seems a hell of a lot more difficult, putting a much bigger strains on your raid. Hopefully they fix it before warrriors disappear from the tanking scene.

I'm sort of glad its like this - it forces guilds to try out other tanks, and that's a good thing. But warriors are so squishy right now, its humiliating, and its been a long time.
    Nice troll ..... What a load of crap

Perhaps you might want to engage your brain before you write next time.

All of the tanks can do the fights just fine ... The fact you don't know how to do it just shows how fail you are.
    ** Remember Warcraft players fail in directions you never thought possible.

I raid ulduar 10 as tank (warrior) and ulduar 25 as healer (priest).
    What i try with my warrior is to stack stamina while having a reasonable amount of avoidance because that is also what i feel more comfortable with when im healing.
    Looking at your armory your equip, gems and talents are good, only thing i would change its the meta gem for the one with +2% armor, and glyph of cleaving for the glyph of last stand.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    Hi guys,

I normally dont ask for advice on tanking with my warr but right now I am going crazy cause my fellow feral and DK tanks in my guild survive easily where I simply die in seconds in Ulduar. To some degree it is because of sleepy healers but since Ulduar came out it seems like I am a papertank but I cant believe that with my gear I can die so hilariously often.

This is my amory link, hope right now my former standard gear is in, I sometimes play prot pvp so dont wander if it looks totally screwed up: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kel%27Thuzad&n=Grumpy
    Armory looks good, you shouldn't have much issues. Lazy healers perhaps?
    When LK came out I started heavily gettin block equip but since it provides nuttin but pain especially in Ulduar I collected everything and tried different directions in concerns of avoidance, mitigation and EH or CDs. Right now I even made an armor set, to get more mitigation but didnt come to test it very much.

Well maybe this can be over if i ask the right questions:

1. Block sucks right now; is armor a better mitigation and does it make sense to stack armor/EH rather than block/EH ?
    Block is wasted itemization, basically. Don't gear for it in Ulduar. Also, don't use terms like EH if you have no clue what they mean.
    2. I never liked the idea of an only avoidance gear since there is still a big chance to get 3 or more hits in a row and it drives healers crazy; but does it now make sense at leat on some bosses to stack avoidance and only avoidance ?
    Yeah, it does on some bosses. The one that pops in my mind is Patchwerk.
    3. Or being more precise is it a good idea to stack gear in just one direction, making them only work for one purpose and leaving the chance of using them in broader spectrum behind(and dont come with u can swap 1 or 2 items to make it viable for other purposes)? I mean enchanting and gems being in all slots just for avoidance or threat or EH.
    You can't go wrong with building EH unless you build EH at the expense of the defense minimum. Any quick changes to your gear can be done using trinkets.
    Going for EH to the detriment of everything else is just stupid - and the moment you stop thinking is the moment you should stop tanking. Use some judgement and find your balance.

4. AFAIK a lot of tanks in good guilds stack expertise to the extreme in order to get a high amount of aggro; y dont they die so fast ?!?
    I don't understand the question, what's that y supposed to be?
    Yes?
    You?
    Yarr?

Apart from your dodge being a little low you look fine to me, sounds like a healer problem.

Are you keeping debuffs up?

Also: mostly unrelated to your question, I'd recommend a rethink on your two protection specs. Neither is optimal for either threat or survival and I can't entirely follow the thinking behind them.
    Fayre - Soldiers of Azeroth, Aggramar(EU)
    http://www.soldiersofazeroth.net/
    We are recruiting! See here for more details.

Quote Originally Posted by Martie View Post
    Armory looks good, you shouldn't have much issues. Lazy healers perhaps?Block is wasted itemization, basically. Don't gear for it in Ulduar. Also, don't use terms like EH if you have no clue what they mean.
    Yeah, it does on some bosses. The one that pops in my mind is Patchwerk.You can't go wrong with building EH unless you build EH at the expense of the defense minimum. Any quick changes to your gear can be done using trinkets.
    Going for EH to the detriment of everything else is just stupid - and the moment you stop thinking is the moment you should stop tanking. Use some judgement and find your balance.
    I don't understand the question, what's that y supposed to be?
    Yes?
    You?
    Yarr?
    I think that 'y' represents 'why'. If you read that question out loud you would have gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroth View Post
    I think that 'y' represents 'why'. If you read that question out loud you would have gotten it.
    Maybe I'm deaf and I have no clue how that letter sounds phonetically.
    Maybe I'm not a native english speaker, and is the letter pronounced differently in my language, making me unable to make that connection.
    Maybe I'm dyslectic and can therefor not make the connection between the sound and the word.
    Maybe I'm just fed up with the lazyness that occurs in some people, and the way they then decide to warp the english language, causing me to intentionally feign ignorance when they use their stupid shorthand in ways that can be confusing.

Come to think about it, using that shorthand doesn't really save any time, I'm assuming that most people know how to write english (using phonetical shorthand shows a decent understanding of the english language, after all), so changing those words actually takes effort - which means that they intentionally make their language harder to read, more confusing and uglier.
    That's kinda insulting.

The lazy part is just as bad, though - they expect people to take time to answer their questions (some of which they wouldn't even need to ask if they thought about them for about a minute), but they can't even take the time to type two more letters?
    That's kinda insulting too.

Martie,

I agree. If you had actually read the terms of use for the forum, you would see that they request you don't use chatspeak or shorthand. Tanks and heals are supposed to be the smarter of the roles since our jobs are way more important than just spamming damage keys. Show some class and maturity, FCS!!!

AFAIK? Really? Come on.

+ Reply to Thread