+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I'm getting hit like...a truck...literally.

I'm getting hit like...a truck...literally.

I'm a paladin tank, pretty well geared for Ulduar. But when we have our MT

(feral druid) tank something like, iron construct on 25man Ulduar, and I'm

tanking the boss I take a ton of damage. 20k at times which....wipes us. Am I

doing something wrong? I know the mechanics of the fight, I'm Def capped

and I know what I'm doing but...DAM I GET HIT LIKE A TRUCK.

And when our MT tanks, he bearly takes any damage. Our heals complain that

I'm taking to much damage, while our MT is an ease to heal.

HELP/DISCUSS! PLEASE!

Druids are easier to heal due to the fact that they have more armor, health and a more reliable blocking type mechanic. Your healers have probably been spoilt by only healing a druid. Unfortunatly Paladins and warriors aren't really competative in the survival catagory when compared to our DK and Druid bretheren. Your healers just need to be mindful that you take more damage and have less health and will need to compensate. On the plus side your class does have the highest threat output.

When you say we have good threat, you mean initial threat correct? Cause once I let Bigglez (MT) build aggro for about 10 sec, no way in hell can I pull off him, maybe if I pop AW, but that is it.

Yeah Rhyseh is probably right, your gear, spec and enchants look fine. You will get hit harder then the Druid. End of story.

Just make sure that you are using your cool downs proactively if it you know trouble is coming and if you are still really having issues maybe try and Improved LoH spec.

Nah out threat is insane all the time, i can give our DK tank a 30sec lead and still pull off him. Havnt tried against a bear so i can't comment on them but our TPS is definatly in front of Warrior and DK atm.

Well, Ok thanks. Just wanted to check, I don't like wiping the raid cause I might be doing something wrong

Research and master the 969 rotation and you will see what I mean by the highest threat output. Have a geezer at Maintankadin:

Maintankadin • View topic - 3.1 Frequently Argued Questions. AKA: Advanced tanking FAQ.

Being a prot paladin, you need a dps warrior to demo shout for you. A feral druid can do it for himself, this makes a significant difference in the amount of damage you take.

Quote Originally Posted by Irat View Post
    Nah out threat is insane all the time, i can give our DK tank a 30sec lead and still pull off him. Havnt tried against a bear so i can't comment on them but our TPS is definatly in front of Warrior and DK atm.
    Depends a bit on the fight I guess. I still manage to keep up pretty decently with our protection paladin at general vezax (I lagged during this encounter last week so to avoid any risks I played intervene-bot and OT). As ot, thus without much rage in an expertise capped suit and a more threat oriented spec I could actually stay close to the paladin and easily second on the meter even while I spent time intervening any trigger-happy dps.

It's true that paladins have a sick initial burst but I wouldn't really say that a paladin in threat gear is all that much better than an expertise/hit capped warrior.

In a max block value and strength set, the tps of a protection paladin, in my opinion, is out of bounds. No tank can come close to this afaik (with a standard MT talent build). Such sets aren't feasible in Ulduar, but its fun if you have to OT small mobs and crit them for over 12k with your shield of righteousness and so forth.

one really big advantage is that paladins can use a max hp/max avoidance set with hardly any threat stats and build a high tps, warriors, druids and dks have to gear more for this.

@ influx: You use an OT on general vezax... why? Unless you're doing hard mode.

Anywho, my two cents on the matter is that Ulduar's encounters favor EH over avoidance/mitigation as a general rule. The bosses hit hard. You should ideally strive for stacking enough health to be able to withstand two fully unavoided boss attacks in a row. As you mentioned, this is generally a 20-22k window depending on your buffs, debuffs, etc...

What raid buffed hp are you sitting at generally? If its anything less than 42k I would say thats a major problem as it takes away that last little window that healers might need to get a large heal off on you. To give you a bit of context, My tank (Blood Dk) sits at about 37k hp unbuffed.

2 x stam trinkets go a long way in Ulduar. If you can get your hands one one that should help a ton. Hope this helps.

+ Reply to Thread