+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ArP stacking versus Str stacking

ArP stacking versus Str stacking

Recently I have been raiding as Arms instead of as Fury due to the changes in the latest patch, and I have heard on several occasions that I should be geming for Armor Penetration instead of Strength as it is more advantageous in boss fights than raw strength gems.
    Masasume is my warrior.
    I was wondering if anyone could lead me in the right direction on this as I am unsure if I should dump money into regeming for Armor Pen instead of Strength.

Many Thanks,
    Masasume of Medivh

Probably better to live in the DPS forum however the answer that is being touted around in there is stack gear for it but not gem for it.

I assume the reasoning is that strenth is still better than ArP in small amounts or you will see too little a result in regemming to make it worth the cost. ArP on gear however comes in big chunks......maybe gem new gear for ArP but don't regem. In fact to take a side path if you are looking at regemming some people regemmed/rechanted for Expertise after we lost weapon mastery.

I haven't seen much Theorycrafting on here about it however theres probably an EJ thread re it.

i dont dps very much so dont take my word for it, but i noticed plugging ArP gems into all the sockets of my gear (apart from yellow which take str/crit) seemed to be a dps increase overall (on a spreadsheet). The arms warriors i raid with are seeing a noticable diff with gems in too and they are going 40-50% ArP in battle.

With the new cap they are planing to add to arp, stacking it to high levels is no longer as preferred a method.

Take a look at a spreadsheet and check the relative SEP value of ArP before and after you add more ArP. I'm not a tried and true 3.1 theorycrafter, but as far as I remember due to the way that armor scales, stacking more ArP makes ArP more effective.

At certain low gear levels and non-mace spec, ArP may not be the way to go. As you get more ArP gear and/or a nice 2h mace weapon, the value of ArP may pass that of strength.

I personally gem for str in my offspec gear, mostly out of my assurance that its still good dps (as illustrated by my parses). As more ArP pieces go my way, I may make the switch.

(don't forget that arp doesnt get any benefit from kings, and theres no AP scaling in the way of trueshot aura, so be sure to include all raids buffs you'll reasonably have)

Wrong forum, probably best to actually go in the HALP! forum since that's where advice for personal chars go, even if it is for DPS.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Lizana View Post
    With the new cap they are planing to add to arp, stacking it to high levels is no longer as preferred a method.
    That's completely inaccurate. Very few, if any, of the people currently stacking ArP are anywhere near the cap they are talking about adding. ArP will still be better than STR for Arms DPS stat priority.

Trust me, unless you have every piece of ArP gear in the game right now on top of some trinket procs, the new cap isn't going to effect you.

Untrue.. i still have quite a bit of arp gear to get from even 25 man naxx and i at at 87% arp without procs. Add in a grim toll and now i am at 137% arp. You have to keep in mind a warrior with mace spec and a grim toll only needs 24% arp to be at cap when the trinket procs, and it procs pretty dang often. 24% arp is easily gotten from gearing alone and requires no geming to get. Even as a axe spec its only 39% arp with a grim toll. Something obtainable in Ulduar gear without geming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    That's completely inaccurate. Very few, if any, of the people currently stacking ArP are anywhere near the cap they are talking about adding. ArP will still be better than STR for Arms DPS stat priority.

Trust me, unless you have every piece of ArP gear in the game right now on top of some trinket procs, the new cap isn't going to effect you.
    I would be passively past the cap if I switched to Mace Spec and using Ironsoul over Hoperender. The vast majority of Warriors who are in Ulduar (or gemming ArP at all) will be well over the cap with just one trinket to boot.

GC's post was just wrong.

+ Reply to Thread