+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Warrior tank - ULDUAR 25

Warrior tank - ULDUAR 25

Hi all !

I'm just having bad tanking issues in ulduar25 concerning my survivability. I have actually killed 8/13 boss in uldu25 but on some of them i just get two shotted by bosses and i just pray during the fight .

For example, i pull Steelbreaker in the iron council, then i get hit by -21k then -22k and then -18k. I use the crab trinket & my SB at the beginning to prevent such a disaster but sometimes shit happens!

Here is my armory link, can someone help me if i'm doing something wrong ?

The World of Warcraft Armory

PS : I was testing the 5/8/58 spec to increase my resistance but i don't like this spec i think i'll return to a 12/5/53 or 12/8/51

Thanks in advance,

Cili, poor warrior

Well gear wise you're pretty much in the same boat as I am. In a complete no heal scenario a 2 shot might happen, especially on Steelbreaker or a similar boss. You'll want improved demoralizing shout up, improved commanding shout, you want to have some rolling hots. You also want to move him out of the rune thingie.

I also recommend staggering your cooldowns instead of using them at the same time - perhaps starting with last stand or shieldwall while people position themselves. Though I must say that at the iron assembly it really should be possible for a healer to be in range.

Getting hit for 20K from steelbreaker is nothing new. Whole Ulduar is all about having different gear from previous content and balancing out what you need.

I'm pretty sure that all hard hitting mobs & bosses (except kologarn) have parry haste so it might be advisable to get more expertise.

With 30-40 expertise I'm getting hit for same amount as you but each 2 sec which gives more then enough time for my healers to react. Insta gibbed only once due lag failure (holy light overheal landed on me 0.01s before punch + melee + punch tick).
    Mookey | GM of <RISE> Xavius [EU]

You will die if you go 2 hits in a row without heals. Assigning healers helps, this was something we learned back in kara some and used it ever since.

Yah, nothing unusual here and nothing exclusive to Warriors. Anyone under 50k health is getting two-shotted in Ulduar-25. Things to consider:

(a) Drop a couple Prot. Talents that don't contribute to survivability (like Focused Rage) and pick up Improved Demoralizing Shout. It makes a big difference in incoming damage. Just make sure to keep it up at all times.

(b) Thunderclap to keep attack speed slowed.

(c) Rotate trinkets and cooldowns. Don't just save them for the "Oh crap!" moments, but use them periodically throughout the fight to help smooth out the spikes and give your healers' mana a break.

(d) Make sure you understand ALL of the fight Mehcanics - a lot of bosses have ways to temporarily boost their physical damage output and you need to be aware of these to avoid them or save cooldowns for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cili View Post
    For example, i pull Steelbreaker in the iron council, then i get hit by -21k then -22k and then -18k. I use the crab trinket & my SB at the beginning to prevent such a disaster but sometimes shit happens!
    Sometime shit does happen, but to be quite frank if you're getting 2 or three shots on you without enough healing you need to be getting harsh with your healers.

Pre-emptive healing is required for all raiding, no-one will survive 60k worth of dmg regardless of your gear/spec.

Healing is the single most important role in any raid, people can argue whatever the hell they like but one fact remains.. I raid that is alive WILL down bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerchunk View Post
    Yah, nothing unusual here and nothing exclusive to Warriors. Anyone under 50k health is getting two-shotted in Ulduar-25.
    I raid 25man.... I dont get 2 shotted...
    If we donít make it alive, well itís a hell of a good day to die
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hadgar&n=Angur

Quote Originally Posted by Angur View Post
    You have 31k health which probably means ~41k buffed. General Vezax can easily hit you through armor for 22-24k.

I'm no mathematician but... okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Angur View Post
    I am sure you don't in the siege area of Ulduar wait til you get to the keepers down before you respond.

Hey, I'm in pretty much the same boat as you in terms of being 2shot by Steelbreaker. We were doing that fight about an hour ago and I was killed several times because I failed to get him out of the Rune of Power in time. 41k Fusion Punches really can hurt.

But anyway, one thing I did that really helped out was using Indestructible Potions. Those are the ones that give 3500 (IIRC) armor for 2 minutes. If you use one before starting combat, and then use one when the first wears off, you will take a lot less damage from Steelbreaker. Also, make sure that somebody in the raid has some form of nature resistance active, like Aspect of the Wild or Nature Resistance Totem. Those can really help out with Fusion Punch's damage. Third, make sure that you have somebody dispell the DoT that is put on you by Fusion Punch. Fourth, make sure you're in the range of healers before you pull, and while pulling, that you never show your back to the mob.

Also, if the rune of power is causing trouble to you like it was to me earlier tonight, you might want to organize to have a specific DPS member of your raid stand several yards behind you, so that you can intervene to him when the rune of power is cast on Steelbreaker.

As for gear tips, I can't give any since you happened to log out in your arms gear, hehe.

Hope this helps.

I tanked steelbreaker last night and simply kited him in an oval shape in the back of the room. Keeping him moving helps to eliminate the time he is in the runic circles. He needs to be out of this at all times pretty much. Also as suggested above, get imp. demo shout and keep imp. thunderclap up at all times, these are definitely noticeable damage reducers.

Only other advice is to keep up communication with your healers. You should know if they are caught in a death circle (green) or whatever the case, so you can use cooldowns effectively.

+ Reply to Thread