+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prot Warrior Uldar 25 - Stats that Work

Prot Warrior Uldar 25 - Stats that Work

Starting this thread to find out generally what works for Prot War MT in Uldar 25..

HP
    Armor
    def
    Block
    Parry
    dodge
    Hit
    Haste
    Expertise
    <others>

since avoidance is on diminishing returns and there are constant debates as to the priority: health or stats, I've decided to post this...if it works it must be good.

Well, I guess you are ready for Ulduar if you are Naxx/Sarth/Malygos geared.

Mostly ilvl 213 + some 226 should be your aim as a tank.

I've tanked every boss up to Auriaya with the follow stats, every one of the tanks from my guild has tanked every boss in ulduar 25 except yogg and algalon.

HP: 31766 unbuffed
    Armor: 25561
    Defense: 563
    Block: 19.63%
    Parry: 20.23%
    Dodge: 23.96%
    Hit: 180 = 5.49%
    Haste: 0
    Expertise: 32
    Last edited by Kazeyonoma; 05-13-2009 at 05:38 PM.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Pretty much all stamina and armor, get your avoidance and threat from gear and avoid block rating/value gear if possible unless it gives you a solid EH boost. Only change from my normal EH setup is using Sarth25 legs and Heritage to hitcap myself on Auriaya because I am responsible for interrupting after the fear. I learned the hard way yesterday that the game WILL RNGcheese you with a shield bash miss when you absolutely need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rafus View Post
    Well, I guess you are ready for Ulduar if you are Naxx/Sarth/Malygos geared.

Mostly ilvl 213 + some 226 should be your aim as a tank.
    Actually that's not true. I have the gear but can do ALOT with gems/chants. I'm look to optimize what I have since I'm on info overload and most of the stuff posted is debated elsewhere.

The one post that's been made with stats has been helpful in that it's a different setup than what have.

HP 32701
    Armor 25101
    def 545
    Block 19.51
    Parry 18.33
    dodge 25.64
    Hit 188/ 5.73
    Haste
    Expertise 23/ 5.75

Now I either eat expertise food or hit for, usually hit food, to help with this. The mobs in ulduar hit very hard, so EH has been my bread and butter, but in a total EH set i didnt like the real lack of avoidance, so i have mixed in some avoidance to help with the hard hits, but keeping my HP at an amount where i can take a nice punch.
    I also swap some gear around to increase my expertise and hit along with my SBV when i am off tanking some of the fights.
    I went into Ulduar with all BIS from naxx, maly, and OS, and had little problem OT and MT bosses.

Tanked up to every boss up to Yogg (since theirs no MT for it) and I must say that stamina is what you want to aim for. If you're a JC, use the Crab and Essence combo. Or if you're low on expertise, go with Norgannon/Crab.

I wouldn't worry much about your armor, block, and avoidance stats. If you have 32-33k unbuffed, your avoidance, armor, block, etc from gear is more then fine for Ulduar.

Quote Originally Posted by Kataztrophe View Post
    I wouldn't worry much about your armor, block, and avoidance stats. If you have 32-33k unbuffed, your avoidance, armor, block, etc from gear is more then fine for Ulduar.
    This ^ At least to start.

If you're wearing naxx 25 gear and gem/enchant for EH your other stats will pretty much take care of themselves. Once you've done a few bosses with your guild you'll know if you need to work on more tps or not.

This thread brings up a good question. Being that the fights in Ulduar are so different, having just one set of tanking stats isn't going to work equally well for all the fights. For example, Auriaya hits moderately hard and slow, so the tried and true Effective Health approach works. Thorim, on the other hand, hits faster and harder as the fight goes on, to the point where he's swinging every second and connects for 10-12k at least. Would it be beneficial to include some avoidance then? Or for General Vezax, whose normal swing timer and massive hits would normally call for EH, but because there's no normal mana regen it becomes a reactive healing fight, so do we lean towards avoidance here as well? Likewise the Yogg-Saron fight; for tanks it's a lot of adds, but the adds in phase 3 initially hit for 30k. How do we balance our gear in these cases?

With the exception of Algalon, I've tanked the whole thing and my guild's cleared the place, and what I've experienced tells me that EH is still the way to go for most fights, and that 32-34k unbuffed will naturally get you the avoidance from gear that you need. But for fights like Thorim, it hasn't hurt to swap out an Essence of Gossamer for a Repelling Charge. Likewise Vezax, I decided last night (after a couple of parries sped up his swings and killed me) to stack some expertise. Turns out it worked, I was able to maintain EH with the help of armor potions, and we killed him.

Yogg-Saron has been kind of a tough call. Initially I thought perhaps I could get away with avoidance/BV because the guardians don't hit for that much, and I'm not really getting hit at all in phase 2. It wasn't until we started getting to phase three and I was getting hit for 30k from the immortals that I realized that maybe I could use a touch more EH. Granted, I'd be spending the entire (roughly) 9 minute long fight in a gear set that was specifically adjusted to address just the last minute of the fight, but that last minute is critical. So I adjusted my gear set, and pretty quickly we killed Yogg. This isn't to say that my gear swapping was responsible for the kill, but rather it was just one more contribution amongst dozens to the overall raid effort that yielded a kill.

For what it's worth, even though I'm constantly swapping out necks, cloaks, and trinkets, here are my current stats:

33966 HP
    24900 Armor
    543 Defense
    21.83% Dodge
    18.65% Parry
    21.08% Block
    5.72% chance to be missed
    226 Hit
    23 Expertise
    1342 Block Value

But this is just one gear set that I might use in general. By swapping things around I'll lean towards one stat or the other, depending on what I think I'll need for the fight.

So my question is: How do you address the different fights in Ulduar via your gear set and stats?

My guild just killed the crazy cat lady last night, so understand that I'm by no means "ulduar geared". However, the following stats have served me well so far:

HP: 31,000
    Armor: 23,977
    def: 572
    Block: 15.65
    Parry: 20.81
    dodge: 23.37
    Hit: 7.4%
    Haste: none
    Expertise: 38
    <others>: have blood draining on my weapon, if that counts as "other".

I would guess these stats are pretty average.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

HP: 31371
    Armor: 25127
    def: 554
    Block: 19.63%
    Parry: 20.37%
    Dodge: 23.16%
    Hit: 238 (7.26%)
    Haste: 0 (unless i pop mark of norgannon)
    Expertise: 34

I MT for my guild and have no real problems. My guild is up to Freya on 25s

You want a good base effective health set along the lines of what those above said.

Then for the love of tankdom - look at the fight and adjust your gearset to include more avoidance, expertise and such as needed.

Tanked everything in Ulduar 25. also in 10man and 10man hards.

just aim for expertise-dodge cap and enough hit. stack stamina after that. im going fine with that. tps is enough and i survive as long as my healers are awake

stats are round about cuz im @ work and armory stats are bugged.

31,2k hp unbuffed
    26% dodge
    19%parry
    16%block
    ~1400 blockvalue
    225 expertise rating
    190 hitrating atm
    ~ 25k armor

gear is naxx / ulduar 25
    There's no buiseness like gnome buiseness!

I run 10-25 Ulduar
    Stats
    Hp - 28406
    Armor 2434
    Defense 545
    Dodge 24.17%
    Parry 18.04%
    Block 21.59%
    Hit Rating 193
    Crit 8.05%
    Exp- 26

I realize this is offtopic, but I gotta wonder why o why Olinske have 2 crit rating gems...

CRIT o.O

Plus you got impale 2/2 but don't also get deep wounds?

34142 HP
    25498 Armor
    542 Defense
    24.16% Dodge
    18.19% Parry
    17.19% Block
    5.68% chance to be missed
    117 Hit
    29 Expertise
    ~1000 Block Value
    Blood Draining

The above is the gear I will use tanking Ignis, XT, Kologarn and Mimiron and is aiming to maximise EH. As other posters have said though, you should be focusing on other stats for different fights.

For example, when tanking Auriya and Brundir on Council capping on +hit is very important to eliminate interrupt misses (you do not want to miss a shield bash on the former fight), so swapping a few pieces in with +hit is very beneficial. I was almost fully Naxx-25 geared going into Ulduar and have picked up a few pieces since then and feel comfortable tanking any encounter so far (are currently working on Mimiron).

Quote Originally Posted by thedrawrf View Post
    My guild just killed the crazy cat lady last night, so understand that I'm by no means "ulduar geared". However, the following stats have served me well so far:

HP: 31,000
    Armor: 23,977
    def: 572
    Block: 15.65
    Parry: 20.81
    dodge: 23.37
    Hit: 7.4%
    Haste: none
    Expertise: 38
    <others>: have blood draining on my weapon, if that counts as "other".

I would guess these stats are pretty average.
    Is all that 572 def from gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Szentia View Post
    Is all that 572 def from gear?
    From gear, yes, but especially from The Repelling Charge, which is currently a pretty nice avoidance trinket. When I put in the Essence with the Heart of Iron, my defense goes to 555 I think.
    Playing a warrior tank well is its own reward.

HP : 34,026
    Armor : 25,764
    def : 548
    Block : 18.68%
    Parry : 17.49%
    dodge: 27.20%
    Hit : 8.36%
    Haste : 0
    Expertise : 22
    <others>

Have tanked all of 10man Ulduar and up to Thorim in 25.

+ Reply to Thread