+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: what a good prof for tanks

what a good prof for tanks

i need to know what profession i should do as a tank atm i am inscription/miner.i dont know if inscription is really worth it.

A little dated and slightly inaccurate, but still useful:

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f200/...-overview.html

Inscription gives you shoulder enchants for mats instead of needing the faction. I like blacksmithing with mining because then I get the sockets on bracers and gloves. I can see merrit for enchanting or even leatherworking.

Go Blacksmithing and JC imo
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

That thread is outdated. JC and BS gives the biggest boost to all melee dps and tanks, mainly because the bonus from JC is pure stats (str, agi) which scales better with talents and buffs (after 3.1 talent scaling changes) while the bonus from other professions is attack power rating, and the prismatics allow for any meta gem without having to lose the stats you need from using sub-par gems just to fit the requirement.

If you already have professions, I wouldn't bother rerolling, unless you're the kind of person who makes a lot of gold. The bonuses of professions are pretty close, and which profession is "best" changes every patch. For example, BS/JC only became better after 3.1 Before that, only JC had a little edge over other professions. Before 3.0, JC was crap for bonuses and was only good for making gold. When epic gems come out, JC will lag behind again because the bonus it offers will be less once you factor that in.

So yeah, keep your professions or change professions based on what you find more fun/practical, and don't bother reolling for min/maxing unless you want to change them every patch.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-10-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    That thread is outdated. JC and BS gives the biggest boost to all melee dps and tanks, mainly because the bonus from JC is pure stats (str, agi) which scales better with talents and buffs (after 3.1 talent scaling changes) while the bonus from other professions is attack power rating, and the prismatics allow for any meta gem without having to lose the stats you need from using sub-par gems just to fit the requirement.

If you already have professions, I wouldn't bother rerolling, unless you're the kind of person who makes a lot of gold. The bonuses of professions are pretty close, and which profession is "best" changes every patch. For example, BS/JC only became better after 3.1 Before that, only JC had a little edge over other professions. Before 3.0, JC was crap for bonuses and was only good for making gold. When epic gems come out, JC will lag behind again because the bonus it offers will be less once you factor that in.

So yeah, keep your professions or change professions based on what you find more fun/practical, and don't bother reolling for min/maxing unless you want to change them every patch.
    That makes no sense at all.

Tanks have never gained anything useful from 2/3 of the professions anyways and it is unlikely that a tank will ever start to benefit from these either.

It has always been a juggle between Blacksmithing, JC, and Engineering and since Engineering has no real purpose besides two or three epic items (most of the other items in Engineering are made for Mail, Leather, and Cloth) Blacksmithing and JC are obviously the best and will continue to remain the best until Engineering gives you something better than nifty gadgets (ability to socket items or provide awesome gems for those sockets).

Even if JC falls behind there isn't any profession that will give anything better to tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingKong View Post
    That makes no sense at all.

Tanks have never gained anything useful from 2/3 of the professions anyways and it is unlikely that a tank will ever start to benefit from these either.

It has always been a juggle between Blacksmithing, JC, and Engineering and since Engineering has no real purpose besides two or three epic items (most of the other items in Engineering are made for Mail, Leather, and Cloth) Blacksmithing and JC are obviously the best and will continue to remain the best until Engineering gives you something better than nifty gadgets (ability to socket items or provide awesome gems for those sockets).

Even if JC falls behind there isn't any profession that will give anything better to tanks.
    Go take a look at what the professions offer again. The only only profession that has no tanking benefit right now is skinning and tailoring.
    Last edited by Cookie; 05-11-2009 at 03:38 AM.

I recently swapped out Engineering for BS... (on my warrior) two things led me to change 1) little or no benefit from Engineering (After I got a Naxx Helmet) and 2) I wanted something that was able to craft stuff thats really good (better than the guns).
    An added bonus was the 2 extra gem slots I get in hands and wrist items = 48 stamina (2x 24 stamina gems).
    I got mining as other proff on my warrior, just to be able to pick up mats easily when I bother farming for them.

My DK tank got JC/Enchanting which gives me 3 prismatic gems ~ 3 x 17 = 51 stamina more (if I gem for pure stamina) and enchanting gives me 2 x 24 stamina on my rings, plus better access to enchanting materials (saves me a bundle).

I was considering Inscription for the shoulder enchant (52 dodge and 15 def. rating) but without a herbalist it would be too expensive. (and the big moneymaking part of this proff. is now past again.)

So depending on what you got for gathering I would suggest any combo of JC, Enchanting or Black smithing.

/Wolf :Q

I have mining, because it's a good, constant source of gold, or mats for my other profession--engineering. Agree that engineering is perhaps lacking in truly epic gear, but there's some interesting things I can make and use, nonetheless. For instance, I can now "mine" those strange clouds of gas that one finds floating around in different areas. They give elemental mats, at about twice the rate of grinding mobs, or fishing.

I had tried JC, pre-Wrath, but the expense was prohibitive, and I wanted to be able to supply my groups with some comic relief (goblin jumper cables, x-ray glasses), and the repair robot comes in handy, too.

I guess it just comes down to what one wants to do/supply/spend gold on...maybe the better question is, what professions should one go for, that compliment each other?
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

I don't know all the profession bonuses, but here's what I do know.

Mining. 50 stamina. Good boost for a tank, and it allows you to farm for money, which can help.
    Blacksmithing. 2 extra sockets. The sockets can be used for a variety of gems, making it good and flexible.
    Jewelcrafting. Dragon eye gems. These gems free you from meta gem requirements and socket restrictions, and allow for great flexibility. Good trinket too.
    Engineering. 800 armor on your gloves is awesome. Decent starter trinket and helm, though neither is particularly good.
    Inscription gives you a better shoulder enchant (32 extra dodge rating).
    Leatherworking gives you a high stamina bracer enchant (50 extra stamina.) Other bracer enchants can be picked as well, allowing for versatility.
    Enchanting gives you ring enchants - several choices, 24 stam/ring for tanks.

Most of these options work out to about 50 stamina or the equivalent in other stats.
    Engineering is an exception, it gives armor. (800 armor decreased my physical damage taken by about 3%.)

I personally chose Jewelcrafting and Engineering. Engineering because it's fun, JC because it appealed to me for some reason.

I got BS N Mining

As a tank my profs are Herb/Alch. According to some of threads posted, this combo for a tank is fail. In response I've been leveling my alt's mining, so I can put swap to BS/JC on my tank.

However, just wondering is there any benefit to keeping a tank as an herb/alch. Surely having these professions that allow you to have cheap and longer lasting flasks plus the ability to use The Indestructible Alchemnist's Stone has some benefits.
    Last edited by Dharm; 05-11-2009 at 05:35 AM.

Thinking about adopting Engineering, to be able to raise the heals when they occasionally go down but leave me standing.

450/450 Mining/Armorsmithing at the moment. Good source of income.

S

Mining/JC/BS

Those are the 3 profs where a tank SHOULD and COULD choose of. Any other then these ones is huge fail

JC
    - Dragon Eye gems are amazing. You can forget about meta requirements and for example like already mentioned 3 prismatic stam gems give you 51 stam extra if you want (Like mining), but you also have huge amount of options
    - Monarch Crab trinket is amazing. Can be gemmed to give huge health buff, especially with prismatic +41 stam gems, short CD Dodge buff; even more importantly thw CD is not shared with other on-use avoidance trinkets so it can be combined with other trinkets

BS
    - 2 extra sockets FTW. Gem these with +24 stam and you got ~ same stam buff as from mining but again with so much more flexibility.
    - being able to craft frost res by oneself for Hodir etc. is nice bonus but if we're talking in-combat benefits the money issue shouyld not count that much.

I had a miner alt helping me level these (getting thorium is a pain).

People, don't rule out leatherworking. Granted, it's crafteable items are not meant for plate wearing tanks. But the easy resist gearing help, free leg patches and the better (and dirt cheap!) bracer enchant is awesome. Oh and I guess the drums are still decent as well.

Last time I plugged in the extra armor of Engineering in an effective health calculator it gave just about anything else a run for their money.

Enchanting is just about as good and/or flexible as blacksmithing and jewelcrafting and can be decent money to boot.

Blacksmithing and Jewelcrafting together most likely are the best you can get currently. Seasons will change and some professions in future patches will come up with other things to make up for things they're lacking currently. Look very closely to your budget, fun factor and such before changing your professions. Content should be doable without profession min-maxing - though it can give you an edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie View Post
    Go take a look at what the professions offer again. The only only profession that has no tanking benefit right now is skinning and tailoring.
    I didn't mean benefit of convenience. There aren't any other professions besides those three (and maybe Leatherworking) that help you improve your gear.

Who really cares if you get cheaper potions, glyphs, or enchants? You can get them without having that profession. Only Blacksmiths can socket their own gear, many of the late Engineer epics are only useable by engineers, and only JCs have access to better gems than the rest of players. (It's hard to make a case for Inscription when it really only offers 1 shoulder enchant).

That is why those three are more important to tanks than the variety of other professions that do little besides save gold or offer a bit of convenience that isn't necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by VikingKong View Post
    That is why those three are more important to tanks than the variety of other professions that do little besides save gold or offer a bit of convenience that isn't necessary.
    /Agree, it is a matter of JC/BS/Mining for the dedicated tanks. Maybe JC+BS is not convenient, but if you are smart you can find ways to make plenty of gold using those two without having a "gathering prof alt." Dailies, buying gems cheap on AH, cutting them, and reselling on AH for instance.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. -Hunter Thompson

If you're looking to boost you healthpool then JC and mining give the highest +stam. Blacksmithing will only give you two extra sockets for a total of 48 stam, mining give 50. Plus you 'll have a gathering profession and be able to prospect all the ore for gems

Quote Originally Posted by vine View Post
    If you're looking to boost you healthpool then JC and mining give the highest +stam. Blacksmithing will only give you two extra sockets for a total of 48 stam, mining give 50. Plus you 'll have a gathering profession and be able to prospect all the ore for gems
    Untill epic gems are avaliable then BS will give you 60 stam..

+ Reply to Thread