+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Uldar one shot??? wtf?

Uldar one shot??? wtf?

Not sure if this is a dual spec issue or gear or what... I'm getting one shot in Uldar where other tanks don't. Usually happens on initial pulls. My normal is to taunt my target then hit SB/SS. I raid buff to almost 40k HP and drop like a hot rock through a snow drift. When I switch specs to tank I check/verify it looks right and my stats appear correct, I stance dance a few times and juggle gear, then do a final look at my stats /slots to ensure I'm dressed, def capped..etc.. I've not seen any issues.

Ideas?

your healers hate you?

I've considered that as well. I'm quicker to look at something I've done than others. Then after exausting all other possibilities I let the RL figure it out when I report that not even Tankspot could see an issue with me or my setup.

You charge sometimes don't you?
    You have glyph of Charge and end up out of range of your healers, the mobs get in 2 swings and you're practicaly dead.
    Last edited by Ushebti; 05-10-2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: I r nub (your, you're.)

I'm not sure if I'd heal a tank that thinks there is a def cap...

After checking your gear, I think it has to be a healer issue too. Are you making sure they are in range and know to heal you? Even with 50% avoidance, there is a 25% chance that the bosses first two attacks connect, and that'll kill you in Ulduar if you don't get heals in between.
    Making sure the boss gets thunderclapped as soon as it reaches you - the attack speed reduction is quite important, and use other boss-weakeners as well.

ok..correction for the technical police, i'm "soft capped" def > 540. For pulls I usually range pull and backup, then charge exactly so I'm not out of range.

ok..correction for the technical police, i'm "soft capped" def > 540.
    well if ur doing ulduar, shouldnt u have 540+ def?? 30k+ hp unbuffed, 50-60% avoidence...if u dont have that then...then theres your problem
    Join my World of Warcraft Community @ http://www.createforum.com/raidomanic/

I have all of the above and then some

It would help if we had more info, like how many hits (and how big?) are you taking before you die. Like Ushebti pointed out, damage is pretty high in Ulduar, it may be an issue of healers not being used to it yet.

PS: what's up with all the def-cap nazis? I think it's safe to assume most tankspot readers know the basic mechanics of defense, and even though the term "def capped" is technically incorrect, it's a commonly accepted term used to refer to "the minimum defense to become uncrittable".

hmmm posting your armory would help a lot, so i can see ur stats, and gear, and build
    Join my World of Warcraft Community @ http://www.createforum.com/raidomanic/

Quote Originally Posted by deadlyshado View Post
    hmmm posting your armory would help a lot, so i can see ur stats, and gear, and build
    You can click in the link labeled "WoW Characters" bellow the poster's name to access his armory.

He seems to have enough gear, the only comment I have about the OP's armory, is that block might be a bit too high (and therefore a bit low on avoidance). Block loses effectiveness as incoming damage increases, so in Ulduar it pays to rely less on block and more on avoidance.

Without an actual combat log, it's impossible to tell what's going on, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Molohk View Post
    PS: what's up with all the def-cap nazis? I think it's safe to assume most tankspot readers know the basic mechanics of defense, and even though the term "def capped" is technically incorrect, it's a commonly accepted term used to refer to "the minimum defense to become uncrittable".
    Perpetuating a misleading term leads to misinformation and misunderstanding such as people believing that there is no value to defense after reaching 540 defense. A term such as "defense minimum" avoids such misunderstandings.

I should note that the term "one-shot" does not help, either, because most likely the OP was not killed in a single attack. (Hence my request for more detailed information, such as a combat log.)

There is value to being precise when one is trying to communicate.

Pretty much what Roana said: Defense capped implies that there are no more reasons to go higher than 540 defense wise as it does nothing more. It's just like saying hit capped.

Furthermore, the proper term for that should be Uncrittible cap. At 540, you become uncrittable. It's just so that someone who doesn't know as much of tanking and comes to the website and starts reading something saying 540 is the defense cap, will do everything and it's mother to avoid going any higher. Which shouldn't be the case: Defense isn't a plague past 540, it helps avoidance to go up a certain percentage. Whereas a hard yellow hit cap simply doesn't give you any value at all to go past. (Let's not overanalyze and state it'll help with white damage on a dual wielding situation. I know this and I'm not touching that part of this analysis.)

Either defense minimum or uncrittible cap is commonly accepted.

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Quote Originally Posted by Roana View Post
    Without an actual combat log, it's impossible to tell what's going on, sorry.
    This.

You are not being one-shot. I havn't seen a boss yet that can one shot a tank via a simple melee attack, barring the obvious of forgetting to put on all your tanking gear or some other issue.

There are a multitude of ways to see what exactly happened to you. The in-game "what happened to me" tab on your combat log. You can also run a mod like "Grim Reaper" that gives you timestamped incoming damage and heals, with an indicator of what your health was at when each event occured. You can also view this information off line by recording ( "/combatlog" stores a file in your logs folder) and uploading combat logs to wowwebstats.com or wowmeteronline.com.

As others have said, your gear is technically fine, but we can't really see what is going on without some type of record of incoming damage and heals.

If you want to give your healers some "cushion", use your shield wall as you're pulling. 60% less damage for 12 seconds can give your healers some breathing room to get into position and start casting heals. Only do this if you know you won't need it for a timed boss ability like Mimiron's plasma blast or something.

You are not being one-shot.
    Exactly, probably 2 shot. The first ever time I charged XT, the healers were all ready but two hits later I was floored. That goes for a lot of bosses in Ulduar, unless you're doing 10mans in 25man gear, and even then you're still getting beat on something fierce.

For XT I have a dedicated paladin healer whose only job throughout the fight is to spam heal me, and then he still needs other healers to put HOTs on me to be sure. We even put a mark over his head to make sure no one goes near him EVER so he doesn't have to move if he gets a bomb. Most bosses in Ulduar who have melee as their primary attack are gonna hit for about 20k+. Your healers have to be already casting before you take that first hit.

Finally, as the others said, less block more dodge/parry. 1k worth of block doesn't really make a lot of difference with a 20k hit. Block really gets relegated to threat/trash or even just when you're soloing dailies, which sucks cus there is a lot of block plate pieces that drop in Ulduar that are practically useless against bosses.

I see lots of warriors - including myself - misuse charge. Gut feeling tells me that's what's going on here.

For the love of tankdom - stay within 40 yards of your healers. Charging headlong and hoping for them to keep up running _and_ heal you will get you 2 shotted (unless you charge and hit panic buttons and such). If you really want to charge, hit a ranged attack, strafe back and charge the mob closer to the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Not sure if this is a dual spec issue or gear or what... I'm getting one shot in Uldar where other tanks don't. Usually happens on initial pulls. My normal is to taunt my target then hit SB/SS. I raid buff to almost 40k HP and drop like a hot rock through a snow drift. When I switch specs to tank I check/verify it looks right and my stats appear correct, I stance dance a few times and juggle gear, then do a final look at my stats /slots to ensure I'm dressed, def capped..etc.. I've not seen any issues.

Ideas?
    Use Indestructible Potions, apply Demoralizing Shout (and max out the talent at 5/5) before threat oriented moves, apply Thunder Clap before threat oriented moves. Consider pulling with Bloodrage + Commanding Shout just before... if not be sure to apply it too before threat oriented moves. Shield Block can be done as well during all this since it's off the global cooldown.

...and that's all you can really do.

The rest is up to you to not go out of range early, your dpsers to understand that you're maximizing your survival and your healers starting the pull healing you right away.

If that kind of thing is still not working then try popping Last Stand or Shield Wall on the pull and count down to it falling off. Yes, it's not ideal, but if you Glyph and spec into reducing the cooldowns of these moves then they'll be up again rather quickly in the fight.

In general, it sounds like your healers either aren't loading you up as you walk in or just flat out aren't healing you correctly, but as Roana said, this is all very difficult to diagnose without a combat long of some way, shape or form. (at the very least, if you don't have WWS, try Screenshoting your combat window after a death and post the image)

I'm almost sure you die because you charge out of heal range. Or other tanks warn before pull and you don't. I wonder why your healers don't tell you what is the problem

I guess the confusion I'm having is the balance between HP (I tank with Tankspots EH setup, how much HP is enough/works???), Avoidance (I've yet to find anyone actually post a "this works" number...only pages and pages of diminishing). Most of my gems are specific to get my HP up. I've started switching to combo gems that generally do HP+stat.

1. How much block works in Uldar25 such that I can start shifting stats over to other things?

2. How much HP works in Uldar25 such that I can start shiftiing stats over to other things?

3. How much Avoidance works in Uldar25 such that I can start shifing stats over to other things?

I'm just not catching on quickly. I am one who mistakenly keeps my +def at or slighly above 540 then pumps HP.

My primary role right now is MT for specific Uldar25 fights, OT for others, and sometimes DPS.

I appreciate in advance the shared experience and help here. I'll get grim reaper and check it out. Most of my "what happened to me" log views show me barely getting hit for 17k then dying with 1-2k heals going off (appear to to be hots and POM). I'm raid buffing over 40k hp so *shrug*

+ Reply to Thread