+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I need an unholy tank spec, Please help

I need an unholy tank spec, Please help

Im an unholy tank, i love the unholy tree. But im sure there is far better unholy specs out there than my current one. Im having difficulty finding them and ive looked all over the place. Please help

Although its only a minor adjustment to your own, this could also work:
    Rune Tap + Corpse Explosion: The World of Warcraft Armory

this would give you a nice self-heal plus another situational AoE.

I don't have gratuitous amounts of experience with Unholy, so I'm sure there are better suggestions than this. Just a quick idea I had.
    It's always easier to just be nice.

This spec Is what i use, after thinking about it IIT is a must, it reduces incoming damage, I personally don't like having a Ghoul as a tank, I just find that it's one more thing i have to keep an eye on and does nothing for my Mitigation or threat. I just like Epidimic and Necrossis, Passive TPS, And Epidimic allows me to get more SS/BB out before i have to hit Pest again, Just a suggestion clearly play to your playstyle, I never found Corpse Explosion that usefull, Seems gymicy to me personaly, I'm Also not a fan of Death runes, Once again a playstyle choice

I tank with ghoul; check my primary spec from armory, I like the 40% insta-heal (with very short CD and 70% AOE reduction the ghoul stays available quite well so I have 16k instaheal for times when healers are temporarily out of range) and having played somewhat a lot unholy pvp the control of the ghoulie comes natural to me. Leap/stun is nice to control loose adds and stun also works as damage reduction.

Necrosis is also a solid talent for single-target TPS, it also works with Rune Strikes (rather crit-happy when glyphed, and 20% extra dmg to 4k RS crit is quite nice). I'm not fan of Corpse Explosion, the AOE that unholy has is so good without extras that I rather boost my single-target threat/DPS.

Rune Tap is a talent I like very much (again for pvp), but for unholy tank you cannot fully talent it; too deep in blood tree and 10% heal every 60 sec is not enough for me. In comparison, 3-disease Death Strike heals 15% and it has no CD but the runes. For predictable damage spikes (XT002 tantrums, Gluth Decimate) I save runes and get 45% heal in 3 GCD's. It is no crime to help healers when you can.

As for death runes, I like them. With Death Runes + SS glyph I can pound Scourge Strikes to make sure those 5k dps'ers stay behind me in threat. I also make sizable single-target DPS contribution, around 2.2-2.3k dps. I sometimes us Death Runes to IT loose (or just spawned) adds if I'm too low on runic to DC and/or Death Grip/Dark Command are on CD. Death Runes = lot of flexibility.

Thanks, i think ive got my rotation sorted now aswell as the spec! I can maintain a constant 8k tps.

I like this specc

The World of Warcraft Armory
    for playing unholy tank

If I had dualspecc, i would most likely remove the 2 points i have in on a pale horse, but i use that for making it possible to mine ore as fast as possible...

Weither or not your ghoul is up all the time or not, death pack still has a 2 minute cd. I personally would rather put points elsewhere and with the new pest glyph im able to SS everytime a frost/unholy rune is up so i have quite good sustained tps, but it's all in playstyle i suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Oit View Post
    Weither or not your ghoul is up all the time or not, death pack still has a 2 minute cd.
    Yes, though Death Pact is IMO pretty much panic button and thus 2 min CD is not that bad. But I agree, using ghoul as tank is not a clearcut solution and I would not recommend it either if ghoul control is not part of your spinal cord. Also, if you run mostly vent-controlled guild runs the Death Pact is a panic button you can propably live without

Quote Originally Posted by Oit View Post
    I personally would rather put points elsewhere and with the new pest glyph im able to SS everytime a frost/unholy rune is up so i have quite good sustained tps, but it's all in playstyle i suppose
    By checking out your glyphs I wonder why you glyph both SS and Pest. The glyphs serve pretty much same purpose. So here I disagree with your specking/glyphing a bit, and here's why
    - you leave the best runic dump talent for unholy tank eg. the Rune Strike (for per-runic TPS this blows DC/UB out of the water) unglyphed. RS also scales very well with Necrosis and with future gear upgrades (T8/8.5 2-piece bonus). While base melee crit for unholy tank is only around 10% with self/raid buffs and the glyph your RS should be critting around 30%. If you don't have enough runic the RS every time when it is available you should look at replacing 2H spec with SoB. While 2H spec sounds like almost direct DPS/TPS increase it is not. It does not affect diseases, DnD, UB or DC.
    - while Pest Glyph is nice to refresh diseases that also spends a blood rune and causes no threat as there is no dmg. When SS glyph fails to proc the IT + PS combo used to refresh the diseases also causes threat and with Reaping you can often use Death Runes to refresh

While what you described propably works ok I'd say the Reaping + RS/SS glyph will quite propably provide better sustained TPS. So I would at least test replacing either Pest or SS glyph with RS glyph.

Quote Originally Posted by bjoli198 View Post
    I like this specc

The World of Warcraft Armory
    for playing unholy tank

If I had dualspecc, i would most likely remove the 2 points i have in on a pale horse, but i use that for making it possible to mine ore as fast as possible...
    While this spec will propably work somewhat ok for most tanking situations it is missing some key tanking talent and looks a bit like DPS/tank hybrid
    - IIT is good for Damage reduction
    - Blood-Caked Blade can be parried ==> boss parryhasting is bad
    - whatever the role (PVP, DPS or tank) you need to spec Outbreak if you go deep unholy, there's just no excuse to leave it out. Black Ice without outbreak makes very little sense
    - without SoB and Dirge you have no talents to increase runic power generation; expect runic starvation when faced with need to RS and use def CDs
    Last edited by slackhoid; 05-11-2009 at 06:20 AM.

+ Reply to Thread