+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Warrior vs. Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    Ok, if I see a rogue coming and I'm arms, pop my shield and 1h on and switch to defensive stance, no problem. Question - would THIS be an appropriate place to use Broken Promise? As Kaz mentioned, revenges should be coming fast and furious, and with Broken Promise's higher top end you'd likely hurt more than putting on Last Laugh. Rage generation probably isn't an issue considering the incoming damage the rogue is dealing, so...

TL;DR version: Broken Promise vs Last Laugh for shield macro as arms?
    Isn't revenge a set amount of damage? I thought weapon speed doesn't affect revenge damage...

Quote Originally Posted by Optimoos View Post
    Ok, if I see a rogue coming and I'm arms, pop my shield and 1h on and switch to defensive stance, no problem. Question - would THIS be an appropriate place to use Broken Promise? As Kaz mentioned, revenges should be coming fast and furious, and with Broken Promise's higher top end you'd likely hurt more than putting on Last Laugh. Rage generation probably isn't an issue considering the incoming damage the rogue is dealing, so...

TL;DR version: Broken Promise vs Last Laugh for shield macro as arms?
    Devastate is based off of weapon damage. Revenge is based off of attack power. A slower weapon with a revenge will be the same damage, the devastates would be stronger but due to the slow speed it would probably not be worth it with how much rogues move around.
    "If I'm doing a fight and I need more threat... I try harder. If I'm doing a fight and I need my taunts not to miss, then I wear hit." -Veneretio

I just try and get a 1 hander that has a lot of stamina on it, until I can get anything better, just having the extra health for my healer to top me off helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnuss View Post
    Devastate is based off of weapon damage. Revenge is based off of attack power. A slower weapon with a revenge will be the same damage, the devastates would be stronger but due to the slow speed it would probably not be worth it with how much rogues move around.
    yes. slower weapon vs. rogue = less rage due to dodging. You'll be generating a lot of rage from gettin' hit a lot, but every strike on the rogue has a chance to crit which will pop deep wounds which = no vanish.
    Throw on your tanking set and just wear the rogue down. it's your only hope =)

- Ty

How about a juggernaut, ms, rend, recklessness and bladestorm.

If he catches you stealthed, pop trinket right before his combo, bladestorm he will be running like a little school girl, juggernaut his ass, ms, rend, fear, destroy. Doesnt always work tihs way but i dont think our only means of winning is to sword and board.
    Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it.

except he can Feint now and reduce your bladestorm damage immensely. or merely pop sprint and run away from you because you've effectively cc'd yourself, this also assumes you don't get dodged by a single one of your attacks on him.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Well forcing a feint isn't always a bad thing. I try and get a blade storm off when I know I have a charge and over power up or close. That way if they blow their feint I can throw in a couple of over powers or if they run (less damage to me) I can charge and get a nice crit on them.

Either way, you really want to always keep a bleed on them. If you survive the opener keeping the rogue from restarting the fight is the most important thing I feel. Warriors are the class most screwed from a fight reset I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhand View Post
    Well forcing a feint isn't always a bad thing. I try and get a blade storm off when I know I have a charge and over power up or close. That way if they blow their feint I can throw in a couple of over powers or if they run (less damage to me) I can charge and get a nice crit on them.

Either way, you really want to always keep a bleed on them. If you survive the opener keeping the rogue from restarting the fight is the most important thing I feel. Warriors are the class most screwed from a fight reset I feel.
    Feint only reduces AoE damage... overpower isn't AoE.

Plus, it's on a 10 second cooldown and lasts for 6 seconds, so I don't see how forcing them to use it would help :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    except he can Feint now and reduce your bladestorm damage immensely. or merely pop sprint and run away from you because you've effectively cc'd yourself, this also assumes you don't get dodged by a single one of your attacks on him.
    Cancel bladestorm, charge, Ms, rend i think its a perfect setup for having them where we want them, if he does pull a runner.

If he feints, keep face to face after storm and Bleed him to death coupled with piercing howl, fear, charge, OP etc

Failed a couple times but its definitely do-able.

The only problem with using a trinket to get out of the CS is that once you're out of the BSt he can blind you and then go bandage or reset the fight. If you do that you basically have to make sure that you can kill him within BSt > Charge > MS > Exec before you get Blinded. With any luck he'll have a Rupture on you that will break it.

I know its gimicky but,

when they are just beating the hell on me, i like to intervene my healer or just intercept someone else just to break the momentum....

If there's a healer to intervene to that means there is a healer so you shouldn't die to a rouge.

I find that Unrelenting Assault Revenge is like ruthless to a rogue. However I'm sure that will only work on bad rogues, how do you know when its time to take out the ol 2hander again? When they start to go on the defensive?

Make sure you use zerker rage on the sap and not a trinket. Then trinket the next stun right away. Very useful is getting a rend on him immediately. Keeping him visible is the best tactic you have. Retaliation and fear help you have a chance at staying out of stun lock long enough to do your own damaging attacks, or at least swap to sword n board. Lastly the most important, a macro I have. /cancelaura bladestorm
    How many times have you gotten a bladestorm off and the rogue sprints away? My Charge button is also my bladestorm cancel. I bladestorm, he sprints, I spam my charge button, it cancels bladestorm and charges the running rogue. Remember that rend you put up? He stays visible and is now in a fight to stay alive. Which usually fails. I know it's sad canceling the attack your Arms spec revolves around. But sometimes you are more vulnerable or downright useless during bladestorm, so it's the thing to do.

I still don't fear rogues...prot FTW for once.

From the OP I presume we're talking world PVP or 1 on 1 in BGs here. I don't arena...I'm sure a rogue that only pvps will beat me down just fine, but since I don't roll with 800+ resil that's true of most any truly geared and specced PVPer.

dismantle = dead prot.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

dismantle = dead prot.
    Not really, assuming shockwave and concussion blow is up or fear. You can lock him down till shield is armed. when i pvped prot i found myself being able to take on a rogue and a caster with spell reflect up. Once rogue kills himself on your shield u can like the martial art use the casters power against him.

Speaking as a PvE tank now getting into PvP more seriously, I agree that it is much easier to kill a rogue while you're in Prot spec. The biggest reason is the stuns - Arms spec you have fear... that's about it. Prot gives you Concussion Blow, Shockwave, Fear, Improved Revenge (decent stun chance), and you don't have to stance dance to Disarm, etc. While Arms definitely still functions better against certain classes, Protection spec is definitely a great boon when fighting rogues. In fact, one on one, there are few classes that really get a one-up over Prot Warriors (depending on the player, of course). Prot warriors are built for one-on-one combat and survivability, and they do it quite well.

Dismantle is definently a kink in a prot warriors defense. no shield = no block, no weapon = no attacks. the ONLY thing that works is shockwave and intimidating shout and hope to god they don't trinket/racial out of it before your weapons come back. I do't pvp actively as prot save for ganking that titanium node or just general world pvp but i have quite a few problems with caster classes...resto druids for sure and frost mages are the bane of any prot warrior. a smart ele/resto shaman will easily beat a warrior with flame shock only. most melee classes i tend to lol-face roll save for other better geared prot warriors and prot pallys. haven't run into many tank dks as i ccan't always tell if they're tank specced. feral druids are also a bit of trouble with their stance dancing.
    /readycheck
    /cast Charge

Quote Originally Posted by Gaeldar View Post
    I just smack up my shield and use shield block with 5K crits on shield slam and revenge: D

This

dismantle = dead prot.
    And no. That is untrue.

+ Reply to Thread